damp meter (1 Viewer)

Jul 15, 2009
Bridgend south wales
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
can anyone recommend a reasonably priced damp meter that i can buy to do random checks on my motorhome to identify ant problems before they get to big

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I got one at B & Q for £40 before i went looking at motorhomes, worth the money so that you can check them yourself.

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
I have a plasplug one from years ago, they have now long gone, although the sign directing to the factory is still on the roundabout in Burton!

They work ,however they will pick up a moisture level that is acceptable in dealers terms, their meters show the percentage of damp, plasplug type just bleep in varying pitches, even with condensation, better than nothing though and any readings that concern you can be checked out.

I wouldn't mind one of the better quality ones with finer 'needles' and a % reading but expect they cost a fair bit more than the diy ones.

Can't help thinking though they may not pick up a problem when most needed, perhaps others know more.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a plasplug one from years ago, they have now long gone, although the sign directing to the factory is still on the roundabout in Burton!

They work ,however they will pick up a moisture level that is acceptable in dealers terms, their meters show the percentage of damp, plasplug type just bleep in varying pitches, even with condensation, better than nothing though and any readings that concern you can be checked out.

[HI]I wouldn't mind one of the better quality ones with finer 'needles' and a % reading but expect they cost a fair bit more than the diy ones. [/HI]

Can't help thinking though they may not pick up a problem when most needed, perhaps others know more.

B & Q £40 - had needles and % reading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Hi
I bought mine from Screw Fix - its the meter display type with colour % scales. seems to work OK. You can view the Screw Fix catalogue on line.
Hope this helps:thumb:
Brian

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
A supplementary question:

What sort of percentage range would be acceptable when testing the vans at the dealers?

Thanks

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
A supplementary question:

What sort of percentage range would be acceptable when testing the vans at the dealers?

Thanks
I always have one rule when it comes to damp in a caravan or motorhome

IF THE METER CLICKS AND SHOWS ANY SIGN OF DAMP WALK AWAY
your not going to get any dealer to pay the costs of fixing it
it will get worse
you will loose money

so rule one
if it shows any sign of any damp walk away there is a damp free unit further down the line
so let some one else waste their money not yours

almost every motorhome and caravan that has a side wall to roof fixing will need the seals replacing every three to five years
most buy a unit run it and never have this vital work done
so any motorhome over 3 years old can have a problem just ticking away
its cost to do is between £350 - £500 to have side wall seals redone
i bet a pound to a penny that not many on here have had this work done to their motor if it is over 3 years old
interesting to see if i am right

hands up people who has had this work done ? i did as soon i a got my RV in 2009 willll be redone in 2014

Last edited:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Meter readings will vary and depend on many different factors:

There will always be some damp in a motor home due to time of year, weather conditions at the time and condensation.

Cheap meters will not be truly accurate and depend on the quality of their calibration - that doesn't mean that they are useless.

So, what are the rules that I apply personally?

I have a cheap meter and use it over a period of time to compare readings. I select key points, take and log readings and them compare them over time. My readings of the same point vary from <10% in the summer to 18% - 20% in the winter. I responded some time ago to this type of post and the only time I have ever been concerned is when the meter returned a reading of 25% just below a window - eventually this turned out to be careless use of a power washer next to a sliding window. No washer, reading returned to what I class as normal for my van ans my meter.

Would I use my meter to select a new motor home - debatable; but at least I would have some indication of pending problems.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..hands up people who has had this work done ?

Our MH is now into its tenth year - it was the subject of a factory recall because of a defective roof seal just after we bought it new, so we had it done at the factory under warranty. Then, not long afterwards it went again and we had it done under an extended warranty which saved us a sum in the region of £3000 so it more than paid for itself.

Last year during a hab check more damp was detected and the mobile fitter who does our van dismantled and re-sealed a section of the roof join for £100.

Next week is its annual hab check and I once again I await the results with trepidation. No obvious signs or smells but the roof space can hide a lot of evils. If it's gone again I'm going to have to bite the bullet and have a big job done on it - forking out for damp repairs after nearly ten years, having only spent £100 so far doesn't seem unreasonable. I'm not into upgrading my MH every three years.

It's an endless battle with the older types of roof/wall join.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back