Free leisure battery......For a little help (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
My 2 new 110 amp batteries have just been delivered and are ready for fitting.However when it comes to electrics I don't know my arse from my elbow,it turns out my recent problems with my blown air heating was down to a blown fuse:Blush
I'm wondering if there's anyone out there in my area who would show me how to fit them,in exchange for this help I'm offering the existing battery which is a 85 amp battery 3weeks old with receipt.....thanks steve

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
My 2 new 110 amp batteries have just been delivered and are ready for fitting.However when it comes to electrics I don't know my arse from my elbow,it turns out my recent problems with my blown air heating was down to a blown fuse:Blush
I'm wondering if there's anyone out there in my area who would show me how to fit them,in exchange for this help I'm offering the existing battery which is a 85 amp battery 3weeks old with receipt.....thanks steve
not in your area but what is the problem in fitting?

you can fit all three if you wanted too

just link +to + and - to - on each battery so you get 12 volts connecting the + on the first bat and the - NEG on the last

put a 30amp fuse on the + outlet for safety

not hard to do

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Battery

Well for a start I was led to believe that batteries only charged to the lesser or weaker one so why connect all 3 if 2 have larger capacities.I wouldn't know where 2get bits from or what bits required.Finally not very confident with electrics and with 2small kids wouldn't want to get it wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I wouldn't be adding the 85 to the new batteries. My understanding is that you will then end up with 3 x 85s for extra unwanted weight :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and with 2small kids wouldn't want to get it wrong.

I was going to take the piss, but now you shame me !

Halfords will sell the bits. Put a 50A fuse next to each + and connect them to the existing + ( brown or red ? ) wire.

Connect the two - negative wires together.

So you need some thick wire, two fuses and connection blocks.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Well for a start I was led to believe that batteries only charged to the lesser or weaker one so why connect all 3 if 2 have larger capacities.I wouldn't know where 2get bits from or what bits required.Finally not very confident with electrics and with 2small kids wouldn't want to get it wrong.

No. As I understand it if you connect all 3 you will have 110+110+85 Ah. If any of the batteries was damaged then could have a problem but as long as they are all in good health no problem in connecting different capacities.

The 50A fuse suggested elsewhere will be fine as long as you are not running an inverter in which case you will need something larger and bigger wires to go with it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
then you were lead to believe wrongly.....a myth.

you can connect any sized battery to any other sized battery without problem.

the only time it really matters is if one battery is beyond help.....or is a different type...gel, AGM etc.

a simple example.

take a sink basin, a washing up bowl and a large jug.

basin = 125ah battery, bowl = 100ah battery and jug = 75ah battery.

now stand the jug in the bowl and the bowl in the sink and start to fill the jug.

once the jug is full the water will overflow into the bowl and in turn the bowl will overflow into the sink.

all three are now full.

same applies to batteries.

once the 75ah is full it wont take any more charge but the charger will continue to charge the 100ah until that is full, then it will continue to charge the 125ah until that too is full.

you will then have one large battery of 200ah capacity.

the charger doesn't 'see' 3 batteries...only one 200ah battery.

if one battery is faulty or old it will then impact on the total capacity...it wont take/hold a full charge but the two good ones will still be fully charged but will show an overall reduced capacity due to the duff battery..

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Steve.....have a phone round your local auti-electricians...they will be able to do it and shouldn't charge you a fortune....it's only an hours work at best...

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
i know i may talk a whole load of tosh most of the time
but i do know a thing or two

not one to blow my own trumpet

i am pleased to see other`s have said the same as my self
i was about to jump on the reply disagreeing with my two penneth worth

must work as i have done it many times on may motors/caravans

no need to give any apology for showing your self to being wrong
you know who i am referring too with out any need to name names

best to say nothing than to show you know nothing
i can cos i am a gob sh88t :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
be happy to asssist you but would depend on when you want it carried out?

Rutland I don't think is too far from where I reside and can find you a nice CL and then pop over and sort it out for you.

Don't need to pay me in batteries, a simple drink would be fine.

It really is quite simple and would be happy to walk you through it by telephone/email with pictures if you prefered too. :thumb:

Just let me know.

Regards

Paul

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why not have a trip to Devon, stay at my CL and whilst you are here I'll sort the batteries for you we can get any bits I don't have just up the road. Make a holiday of it. No charge for my time and don't need your battery so link the 3 up together as they are all new ones.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Why not have a trip to Devon, stay at my CL and whilst you are here I'll sort the batteries for you we can get any bits I don't have just up the road. Make a holiday of it. No charge for my time and don't need your battery so link the 3 up together as they are all new ones.

Come on Lobsterlouis, it's a no brainer, surely an offer you can't refuse
:Doh:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cheers ev1 thanx for offers we are sorted now, would have loved to have come down to Devon wild man but all hols this year all sorted and full, really appreciate all advice and help. Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back