Over the limit in France (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Now consider this, you are pulled over in France and breathalysed. You over the French limit which is 0.5% BAC at 0.6% BAC.
Would they take your British licence from you? Now you return to the U.K. where the limit is 0.8% BAC, technically you are not over the u.k. limit so would you lose your licence.

Any thoughts or answers on that?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
at a guess....yes, you would get a ban.

but then, the french have a different system to us...you could be banned for a couple of weeks or a couple of years...or is that spain !

regardless of what it has printed on it, you are using a european driving licence and must abide by the rules of the country you are visiting.

probably totally wrong though :Doh:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
They would not bother.....especially in summer ............ far too hot to be bothered :roflmto:

edit: I guess they would either ask you to stay on an aire till you got back to normal or ask partner if one , to drive (if not worse than you that is!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sure if its changed now but years ago many UK HGV licence holders that fell foul of the law in the UK and lost there licence here went to work in Europe having there trailers shipped out unaccompanied. They lived in France and kept there tractor unit over there. it was before the days of the EU so am not surprised if its now changed.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
loads have all sorts of licences .change a spanish for a uklicence they aquire c1+e .then change it back to spanish .they keep it . have several then you only lose one .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
don't drink and drive then you won't have to worry am i drunk or am i sober
am i 0.5%BAC or 0.6%BAC and if you get cought
just park up till the bans over LOL

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No
If you're banned from driving in one country, that doesn't stop you driving elsewhere in Europe. Attempting to return to that country driving a vehicle, though, will lead to your arrest. However, according to the AA, drink driving convictions abroad do not affect your UK licence. They claim that even if your licence is confiscated abroad, the foreign government will simply send it to the DVLA, which will then return it to you without penalty!:Eeek:

Full details HERE

Last edited:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
It would depend on how well you speak French. Not that the French are racist of course, but if you notice French motoring law tends to be enacted for non residents.

After all what French leader would dare to challenge the Great French Lunch!!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
It would depend on how well you speak French. Not that the French are racist of course, but if you notice French motoring law tends to be enacted for non residents.
After all what French leader would dare to challenge the Great French Lunch!!

Well ...funnily I would say just the opposite ! I would think the less you speak french , the better you can go away with it !
As I said previously , they would not bother filling numerous forms about foreigners which are not going to pay once back home when it is holidays time with lots and lots of people on the roads (french!!!! who are going to be fined!!!!...money money $$$$$$$$$$), hot weather and certainly more important things to do . If you are really drunk then they would take you to the "cellule de dégrisement" (prison for drunk people to wait safely that alcohol has no more effect on them). May be you would be instant fined ... which means you would have to pay cash to be released (PV à la volée...so called) and that's about it!!

If you start trying to explain in french, they might then realise you can talk french, it will mean they will fill the form quite quickly ! Believe me ... play the innocent , the naive, apologise(you never saw , realise , blah blah blah) in english of course!!!.... don't be clever , speaking another language .... for once... be stupid ! (Martin , you just do as usual:RollEyes: :roflmto:)

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Mutual recognition of Driving Disqualifications

The only country the UK shares it Driving Disqualifications with is Ireland. (See link here)

Therefore a disqualification in any other country would not be recognised outside its own borders. There has been talk with the "unification" of driving laws that more countries may share in the future but not currently.

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back