Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
lancashire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thinking about it
Thinking about buying a motorhome after 5 years of caravanning. Not sure what to do - any advice?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thinking about buying a motorhome after 5 years of caravanning. Not sure what to do - any advice?

I would ask why .

what makes you think it will be better, are you changing your travel style ?

Do you regularly stay on sites for several days and plan to do the same, or are you going to travel far and wide and do a lot of off site camping ?

If the former then keep the caravan... if the later then get a MH

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
Hi Puffin
Jim's right, you must think about the type of use. I swapped last year from years of caravan use and do not regret one bit, (wished I'd done it years ago but took some time to accept the extra cost of buying!) but we are all different and sometimes a caravan suits best, I know 2 couples that regret swapping, one still has the M/H but now tows a car, the other took a hit on their newly bought M/H and went back to a caravan.

Do abit of research upfront, a useful book to read can be found here http://www.go-motorhoming.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi and welcome :thumb: best bet is to spend a tenner and become a full member then you can ask as many Qs as you like no matter how daft/trivial they seem.You have already got some bits of sound advise :thumb: but for us layout is everything.:winky:I know it is not that dissimilar to a caravan but generally you don't have as much room and depending on how you want to use it size matters -too small on space may be too cramped and too big may cause you problems where you want to go :Doh:::bigsmile:Then you have the big boys who need to tow a toad (tow car) :ROFLMAO: so you then become a tugger again with a posh outfit ::bigsmile:Choose wisely and you will not regret it :thumb:
terry

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you are looking to get a bit more adventurous I would put your bike on the back of a motorhome and get out there and explore so much to see and do.

If you just want to sit outside your van and watch the world go by then probably a caravan, its what you choose to do with it that counts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No no no no .......... Change to MoHo, far far better class of nutter with Mo Ho's....:whatthe:

I assume you are NOT dyslexic ....!:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont believe any of them .get a nice mini artic .use it as and when you want drag it all over the place ideal for every where . no need for a toad . m,bike in the back .its the way forward just takes along time for some to catch on .hee hee. :ROFLMAO:

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
Call me picky, I'm pretty new here, an anorak of the first degree in several subjects, including M/Hs . Thick skinned and can do evasive action when attacked. Others may be more delicate until they evolve into a pi$$ taking fun loving don't give a damn M/H er

This thread sounds like a drunken brawl, someone is considering spending a not insignificant wedge on a motorhome, we are all converts and very subjective, this member would like an objective view, which we cannot do as do not know enough of their circumstances. I am terrible for pi$$ taking but wouldn't want to put off a potential M/H er off what is, we can all agree, a better way of life for us.

Don't buy and regret, (unless you're loaded!) think hard and answer the points put forward by the few sensible M/H ers! If you want hook up, sites, clubs, staying weeks in one place once or twice a year etc, stay with a caravan, if you want to go wherever, whenever, europe, making use of laybys, truck stops, cheap overnights, aires, without setting the awning up, chairs, bbqs out, no winding down legs, no aqua rolls, 2 mins set up, (turning on the gas, why can't they have a on switch inside? Then I wouldn't even have to go outside when I park up in the rain!) A motorhome maybe for you! (sites are still ok by the way!)

To me they are a luxury after many a night out in a lorry and Brecon in a hole!, easier and more convenient and easier than a caravan, a perfect 'doss' machine and any disadvantages are outweighed by the many benefits they offer, that said it wouldn't have worked for me when the kids were home, for some it does. My last M/H at 21'3" was no problem to park in any town, tried a few. Can't say with the new one as not picked it up yet but suspect any place bar a few it will fit where the last did (3ft longer)

Only you can decide if it's for you and I suspect you will have more questions than answers, some which can be answered here!!

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Get an idea of what you want, you may already know as caravan owners, then think of hiring one of the same model.
If you don't like it at least it's not cost you too much.::bigsmile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
it works for many not for all
BUT is a very expensive mistake so do your home work
make a tick list of your needs and wants
unless your buying new it will always be a compromise on what is out there to your list of wants n needs

good luck

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I think the 1st thing you should do is drag your caravan along to a M/H/fun meet or two------then you can talk face to face with m/homers and you should be able to view inside some with the owners--NOT SALESMEN--you should only get honest opinions--------THEN you will buy one:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:---take your time it's a big investment
Nigel & Pamala

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Call me picky, I'm pretty new here, an anorak of the first degree in several subjects, including M/Hs . Thick skinned and can do evasive action when attacked. Others may be more delicate until they evolve into a pi$$ taking fun loving don't give a damn M/H er

This thread sounds like a drunken brawl, someone is considering spending a not insignificant wedge on a motorhome, we are all converts and very subjective, this member would like an objective view, which we cannot do as do not know enough of their circumstances. I am terrible for pi$$ taking but wouldn't want to put off a potential M/H er off what is, we can all agree, a better way of life for us.

Don't buy and regret, (unless you're loaded!) think hard and answer the points put forward by the few sensible M/H ers! If you want hook up, sites, clubs, staying weeks in one place once or twice a year etc, stay with a caravan, if you want to go wherever, whenever, europe, making use of laybys, truck stops, cheap overnights, aires, without setting the awning up, chairs, bbqs out, no winding down legs, no aqua rolls, 2 mins set up,[HI] (turning on the gas, why can't they have a on switch inside? Then I wouldn't even have to go outside when I park up in the rain!)[/HI] A motorhome maybe for you! (sites are still ok by the way!)

To me they are a luxury after many a night out in a lorry and Brecon in a hole!, easier and more convenient and easier than a caravan, a perfect 'doss' machine and any disadvantages are outweighed by the many benefits they offer, that said it wouldn't have worked for me when the kids were home, for some it does. My last M/H at 21'3" was no problem to park in any town, tried a few. Can't say with the new one as not picked it up yet but suspect any place bar a few it will fit where the last did (3ft longer)

Only you can decide if it's for you and I suspect you will have more questions than answers, some which can be answered here!!

Secumotion. Then no need to turn the gas off so doesn't need turning back on ::bigsmile:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
June123

Definitely buy a MH. Drive in, switch off and put kettle on. No messing about in the rain uncoupling caravan. Just don't rush. Look at loads and know what your priorities are. Unless you buy a monster you'll lose some space but still worth it. We've always stuck to just under 6 metres and find we can drive into any town and find parking space somewhere. Go abroad and take advantage of free/cheap aires - you can't do that with a caravan. Good luck.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Read the "Buying a Motorhome" article in the Magazine section of this forum, probably have to sign up to get access but well worth it once you are there.
Have to agree with the No.1 advice of fixing your budget. These things can be an expensive outlay, but will save in the long run, (ha, ha, no pun intended!):ROFLMAO:

I think about how much I've saved each time I fire up the Lavazza in the MH instead of heading to Costapacket or Megabucks...:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you are looking to get a bit more adventurous I would put your bike on the back of a motorhome and get out there and explore so much to see and do.

If you just want to sit outside your van and watch the world go by then probably a caravan, its what you choose to do with it that counts.

What. Carol, Jim and many others are saying is sound advice......If you are looking for more in life, travel with a lot less restrictions, a motorhome is one way of doing it....

If you just want to sit with a mug of tea,... on a campsite for weeks on end, then do not change...keep your caravan...think hard or it may cost you a lot money to find out.

Yes there is less room for the same size in a caravan due to the engine and what comes with it...
And yes they are a lot more expensive....even a very old Motorhome compared with a new caravan.

But like others have said..stop brew up...move on so quickly,..in the middle of town bursting for a pee pull up park..toilet ..move on....not as easy in a caravan....aires in France a Yes Yes for a Motorhome..Caravan a NoNo I have seen so many moved on by the police / Gendarmes.

Follow the sun.........

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back