LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Not having a good day thought i would take my sky box with me for the first time so i fixed it up and cant get it to work, what am i doing wrong i have it pointed the same way as the other Sky dished and nothing, do i have to change any cables on the Vision plus amplifier?

Andy

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Not having a good day thought i would take my sky box with me for the first time so i fixed it up and cant get it to work, what am i doing wrong i have it pointed the same way as the other Sky dished and nothing, do i have to change any cables on the Vision plus amplifier?

Andy

You will have to search VERY SLOWLY until the signal is on the box. Go to Sky remote services press 4 then 6 and check you have the signal.
If you are aligning your box by looking at others, make sure they aren't foreign as some could be watching Astra 1. :RollEyes:
I should have asked where are you first? :Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why are you mentioning the vison plus amplifier ?.. thats for terrestrial Tv.. nothing to do with satellite...
Explain more on what your using and setting up, see if we can help...

OP
OP
Bluemooner

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Tonka its a Maplin £39.99 cheap dish plugged into the side of my van, from the inside of the van into sky box, i have given up for today a cury and a bottle of wine made me give in

Andy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Tonka its a Maplin £39.99 cheap dish plugged into the side of my van, from the inside of the van into sky box, i have given up for today a cury and a bottle of wine made me give in

Andy
::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: reminds me of a few yrs ago when I bought one ::bigsmile: Took me about an hour before I got it right then my mate moved the dish about an inch and said find the satellite again :Sad:Half hour later and success again :thumb: so he moved it yet again :Doh::cry: Took me hours every time -took mate 30 sec to 60 sec :Doh:::bigsmile:Long story short I got my money back and do without sat tv :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
North West England

Not quite as precise as I hoped but if you go to Dish pointer & put your place name in then select Astra 2 from the drop down list you will have the co-ordinates , compass bearing and elevation (maybe marked on your dish).

Clearly a compass will be a help. The most difficult part is the elevation ( the angle of the dish pointing upwads. In the UK (North) the dish will be just about vertical and may look as though it's pointing at the horizon.
A good reference site is http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk with lots of help for your first time try.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If your struggling to get a signal, rule out the connector on the side of the van by plugging the wire from the dish directly to the sky box. Then either tune using
the built in signal test Services button on remote then 4 then 6 or make life easier with a cheap meter for under £10.

Getting the dish lined up is hugely different to a aerial, as you either get a good signal or nothing. first make sure your elevation is correct, up and down for your chosen satellite. then swing the dish very slowly left to right, assuming your pointing in the generally right direction. you will most likely pick up a signal which gives you no channels, but dont panic, this means your pointing at the sattelite next to the one you want, just move a little more to the left.

most importantly though, move the dish vvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy slowly, as the sky box takes a couple of seconds to react

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Andy
and there lies your problem......

the vision plus amp is for terrestrial TV (through an aerial)

the satellite dish should be connected to your sky box directly.

pointing the same way as the other dish's isnt quite good enough....it MUST be pointing DIRECTLY and ACCURATELY at the satellite...not somewhere near.

1/2" out on the alignment means no signal.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you have some good advise already mentioned.. Go straight from the sat dish to the sky box. Move dish very slowly, it does take practice....
A common mistake is to set the angle of elevation on the dish as stated in the instructions but you may not be on level ground so that will alter that angle.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
dont just rely on the elavantion markings (if any ) on the mounting braket, make sure your level or it will be out!! at the bracket and you will have to take that into account.

The elavation is hardest to master for new users, but is VERY important to get it right or you will be messing about forever

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I wouldn't even get the dish out of its box to start searching for the satellite without a Sat Finder thingy.

I have a Zenhander (?) from Road Pro...

As an added bonus to making the quest easier, the beeping noises from the sat finder annoy the people next to you... The same ones who woke you up so early...

JJ

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
I have a professional sat meter...
I understand these things...

I'm in the North West too...

Now, if you are 5 miles or less away I'll come and help...

Where are you?

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
There is a app you can have for free on your phone.
It points in the sky where the sat is, relative to the image on your phone screen :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back