Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Well firstly let me say what a great site!

We have been motorhomers for a good few years now mostly on sites with a
bit of wilding thrown in.Normally we tend to go for two or three weeks at a time. Yesterday we were chatting about where we would head for on our next trip.Lets go to France says I? France splutters she, we have never
been abroad before you see.Anyway a couple of hours later a dozen or so phone calls to the kids and milkman etc.weve done it ferry booked, overnight stop arranged.Oh and by the way we booked a one way ticket just for the fun of it so were off on tuesday next week.Any advice hints help greatfully accepted on places to stop places to go.Many thank in advance.
Regards to all Barry and Cathy

s and wilding over the years.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Excellent!

As Punch would say...

"That's the way to do it..."

Have a great trip...

In France Funsters can always be contacted via the free internet wi-fi at McDonald "restaurants"... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to fun, don't forget the aire's in France they can be useful when travelling and help keep the cost down a bit as well, ask any questions someone has usually been there before and able to help. Enjoy your adventure. :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any advice hints help greatfully accepted on places to stop places to go.Many thank in advance.
Regards to all Barry and Cathy

Like your style.

One hop from Calais, via Lille for no tolls is Metz.

Right in the middle of Metz is a delightful muncipal camping with aire next to it, right by the River Moselle.

Lovely city short walk from campsite.

You choose, reasonable cost campsite with facilities or cheaper aire if you can get on.

Sorted.

Enjoy.

OP
OP
B

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Be prepared

We did some research into what we would need in France.Our son suggested straight jackets but we thought that the hi vis and fun stickers would do.:ROFLMAO:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
A corkscrew. We have one of course - a posh new one I liked the look of.

But it turned out that the sort of collar thing it has - didn't fit over any of the wine bottles we'd bought before travelling to a place where the nearest shop is miles away ......

TG for 1664 ......

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Like your style.

One hop from Calais, via Lille for no tolls is Metz.

Right in the middle of Metz is a delightful muncipal camping with aire next to it, right by the River Moselle.

Lovely city short walk from campsite.

You choose, reasonable cost campsite with facilities or cheaper aire if you can get on.

Sorted.

Enjoy.
super place, then onward to Luxemburg to fill up with cheap fuel. Luxemburg is a super place to tour as well so don't miss out on that.

OP
OP
B

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Drinking water

Is the water available at the aires potable,or is it more prudent to buy bottled. Thanks Barry n Cathy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't forget all the things they expect you to carry in France.

Warning triangle (2 for Spain)
Reflective vests for all persons (we have one for our dog as well as the rule says all occupants)
Spare bulb kit
First aid kit
Spare glasses (if you wear them)
Breathalysers x 2
Originals of vehicle registration documents etc.
Fire extinguiser (not sure if this is a requirement but a good idea)

Don't know if anyones ever had these checked but Sod's law would no doubt apply if you hadn't.

Corkscrew is not vital if you buy your wine in boxes, lighter and usually cheaper.:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Is the water available at the aires potable,or is it more prudent to buy bottled. Thanks Barry n Cathy

The water in France is to the same standards as ours, bottled water not needed except that water from your tank may not be so good. I refill my bottled water at the taps, and in certain places you can get expensive water straight from the taps e.g. Vichy, Alet le bains as the local water is the same as they bottle and also fill the municipal pool.

OP
OP
B

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Reflectors for bike rack

What type of reflector/warning do I need to put on the bike rack for France Spain Portugal. Thanks Barry n Cathy

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
France trip

People , Make sure you have good insurance cover re. breakdown I speak from personal experience have a great time I did .France is a wonderful country enjoy :roflmto:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Just back from our annual visit to France (third one)
You'll have a great time. We spent five weeks touring and covered over 2,800 miles. We were surprised on our first visit, three years ago, to realise just how vast a country it is, so don't be surprised at how much of it there is.

One thing you may not be aware of is that in France they don't have the same brands of bottled gas as we do here (Calor). If you do run out it will mean buying a French brand of gas which will have a different connection (which usually means a different regulator) It's not a great problem but something to be aware of.

Re the water at Aires you will usually find that the borne will have two taps - one which is drinking water and one for the toilet cassette. They will be clearly marked.

If you have any other niggling queries, just ask.

Wyn

OP
OP
B

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Download dummy!

:Eeek:How do I download the aire poi file and how do I see it?I mean can I actually read it in prlnted form say.I am as you may be able to see a little bit green on these computer download thingies.Also any aires going down the s.w France route would be most helpful and any other tips you could pass on.Many thanks barry n Cathy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back