Leisure Battery Charger - Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

M

MysteryMachine79

Deleted User
Hello all,
As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on any reasonable battery chargers to suit my 12v 110amp leisure battery, but to also double as a charger for a standard engine battery.

I've been using a cheap Halfords charger for years but it's giving up the ghost and clearly was never powerful enough for the mighty leisure battery (it seemed to take an age to charge it).:RollEyes:

I've seen some on the internet for £55+ (even some at over £200:whatthe:). Are these really worth the cost or are there any decent ones out there that are a little lighter on the pocket?

Thanks,
Dylan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used one of these on my kontiki with 2 x 110ah batteries.
it also acts as a 25amp power supply.

its a 3 stage charger so will provide the optimum charge to the batteries at all times without overcharging.

it now resides, hardwired, in the wardrobe of my RV as a secondary/emergency charger (in case the 45amp one fails) to charge the 4 x 110ah batteries.

well worth the money

http://www.amperorassociates.co.uk/c-battery_chargers/BatteryC-3_25A.html

Last edited:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi mate, only thing I would say is make sure you get a multistage charger, one that does not boil the battery.
There are some on Ebay for not a great deal of cash. I bought one from Aldi earlier this year.
CTEK chargers are very good quality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used one of these on my kontiki with 2 x 110ah batteries.
it also acts as a 25amp power supply.

its a 3 stage charger so will provide the optimum charge to the batteries at all times without overcharging.

it now resides, hardwired, in the wardrobe of my RV as a secondary/emergency charger (in case the 45amp one fails) to charge the 4 x 110ah batteries.

well worth the money

http://www.amperorassociates.co.uk/c-battery_chargers/BatteryC-3_25A.html

thats the one I use in my self build. I can recommend it. Been in use for over 2 years now none stop and worked flawlessly on my 500AH battery bank.

I do need to upgrade to a 50Amp charger in the near future though to speed up the charge time:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thats the one I use in my self build. I can recommend it. Been in use for over 2 years now none stop and worked flawlessly on my 500AH battery bank.

I do need to upgrade to a 50Amp charger in the near future though to speed up the charge time:Doh:
it is said the optimum charge rate is 20% of the total battery bank capacity.

25a is only 5%...so you would need 100amps.

i have 440ah and a 45amp charger....10%

OP
OP
M

MysteryMachine79

Deleted User
Thank you for the recommendations. After searching the internet as well, I eventually opted for the CTEK MXS5. An awful lot of rave reviews for this multi-stage charger that can trickle charge and supposedly recondition older batteries too (we shall see). It seems that I can also fix this into the campervan and use it away from home via the hook up.

At £55 (Amazon) it was more than I had hoped to pay but if it's as good as the reviews say, I'll treat it as an investment. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hello all,
As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on any reasonable battery chargers to suit my 12v 110amp leisure battery, but to also double as a charger for a standard engine battery.

I've been using a cheap Halfords charger for years but it's giving up the ghost and clearly was never powerful enough for the mighty leisure battery (it seemed to take an age to charge it).:RollEyes:

I've seen some on the internet for £55+ (even some at over £200:whatthe:). Are these really worth the cost or are there any decent ones out there that are a little lighter on the pocket?

Thanks,
Dylan.

HiDylan while the Ctec is a excent charger it only charges at max 5amps ---as such it will take a long time to charge your battery :Doh: The other recomended was 25amps so charging your battery 5 x faster: :thumb:You could have paid £12 for a Aldi charger that does the same thing but only @ 4 amps not 5:Doh:
Terry

OP
OP
M

MysteryMachine79

Deleted User
To be honest Terry I wasn't looking to spend as much as £55 on a charger in the first place so it was the fact that this unit appears to be all singing and dancing and suits batteries upto 110amp that it got my investment.

As for the time to recharge, if it's any faster than the week or so that the Halfords charger took, I'll be very happy::bigsmile:. I expect that once the battery has had a full charge at home, then I'll just trickle charge it daily while on tour either from the engine battery whilst driving or from the Ctek on a hook up.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thank you for the recommendations. After searching the internet as well, I eventually opted for the CTEK MXS5.

Amazing. Experts give first class advice and you go an buy a piddling little one that's not up to the job of charging a leisure battery in a reasonable time.

5A for £55 or 25A for £80.
12 hour charge time or 3 hours.

Because it needs a button press to activate you can't just fit and forget as you can with a proper job one.

Exasperated of Cheshire.

There is a returns policy for on line purchases.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back