• Poll closed .
Aug 13, 2009
KENT
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Caravanning since 1990's Went over to motorhoming 2007
:Sad: I'm motorhomeless at mo after having problems with Crapham of Essex ::bigsmile: Anyway I'm looking at buying another one within the next couple of weeks and I'm coming across more automatics :Eeek: Never having driven an automatic anything :whatthe: I'm looking for your views?? on performance etc. etc. etc. so bring em on!!!!

Thanks!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The vote doesnt work with a yes/no because its not clear whether its yes/no automatic or yes/no manual?

Needs a Manual tick box and an automatic tick box.

I've not owned an automatic but I'd hate long descents without engine braking

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
all the cars we have had " since Noah was a boy" have been auto and we love them.:thumb:

would have had an Auot van if we a. could have afforded the extra cash and b. we would not have had to wait 6 months for delivery on the model we were buying.

Autos these days are different to the old Volvo 3 speed jerky changes and with new technology perform and economise if not as good close to manual.

just be aware though :RollEyes:..... the 3ltr motor and the auto box weigh more so if you are low on payload this extra weight may reduce it further..:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

chester copperpot

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
none
I would never go back to a manual car again, so much more relaxing driving an automatic. Always make me chortle when I see the manual drivers making the car move back and forwards on the hills waiting for the lights to change.

only downside is never using the handbrake so it will fail the mot.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
bearing in mind the fiat auto is just a computer controlled manual gearbox id go manual.
although having said that i get on ok with the smart which is a similar system.

OP
OP
kev&caz
Aug 13, 2009
KENT
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The vote doesnt work with a yes/no because its not clear whether its yes/no automatic or yes/no manual?

Needs a Manual tick box and an automatic tick box.

I've not owned an automatic but I'd hate long descents without engine braking

Sorry I'm new to this lark....I'll try and amend it or re-run it! Thanks for advice:cry:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My old Hymer 660 is automatic and I suppose it is ok...

...but I don't like the fact that you can't "bump" start it and you can't tow it more than a few yards without disconnecting the prop shaft...

Given the choice I would have got a manual one.

JJ :Cool:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Our Renault 2.5 150bhp has the Tiptronic Auto box and Renault did advertise it as being more economical that the manual box version. It has certainly worked out that way as it will return 33-34 mpg providing you are not battling with a head wind. We were over 35mpg this year on the way down to Denia until we got into Spain and came on a strong head wind pushed us right back to 30 to the gallon. Still not bad for 3850kg. We do have a Tunit chip box fitted and that is set to number 4 on the nine position dial. Just makes it so flexible and the Auto box makes sure that you are not changing up too early and overloading the drive train with the extra torque. One of the factors in so many gearbox failures on the Fiat based motorhomes.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
To be honest . if its hilly I prefer working the gears with the Italian job music playing :roflmto:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
:Sad: I'm motorhomeless at mo after having problems with Crapham of Essex ::bigsmile: Anyway I'm looking at buying another one within the next couple of weeks and I'm coming across more automatics :Eeek: Never having driven an automatic anything :whatthe: I'm looking for your views?? on performance etc. etc. etc. so bring em on!!!!

Thanks!!

Having always driven manuals (and prided myself on smooth gear changes ::bigsmile:) I'm now driving an automatic - more by accident than design. The van I chose based on layout, storage and pay load just happened to be automatic.

The first couple of days I was inclined to twitch around uselessly with my left arm and leg but that soon stopped. ::bigsmile: Now I rather like the auto gearbox although if it doesn't change up or down when I think it should I do give it a nudge. I can assess what's happening on the road ahead and drop down a gear while it would still be too high if it got its own way. :RollEyes: It's certainly more relaxing to drive in stop-start traffic than a manual. :Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Having always driven manuals (and prided myself on smooth gear changes ::bigsmile:) I'm now driving an automatic - more by accident than design. The van I chose based on layout, storage and pay load just happened to be automatic.

The first couple of days I was inclined to twitch around uselessly with my left arm and leg but that soon stopped. ::bigsmile: Now I rather like the auto gearbox although if it doesn't change up or down when I think it should I do give it a nudge. I can assess what's happening on the road ahead and drop down a gear while it would still be too high if it got its own way. :RollEyes: [HI]It's certainly more relaxing to drive in stop-start traffic than a manual[/HI]. :Smile:

why??? just get off the road park up and have a brew until the traffic is moving freely again no stress with stop start traffic then:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had automatics but prefer manual. A bit less to go wrong perhaps, and it gives your left leg a bit of execise on long runs.

OP
OP
kev&caz
Aug 13, 2009
KENT
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our Renault 2.5 150bhp has the Tiptronic Auto box and Renault did advertise it as being more economical that the manual box version. It has certainly worked out that way as it will return 33-34 mpg providing you are not battling with a head wind. We were over 35mpg this year on the way down to Denia until we got into Spain and came on a strong head wind pushed us right back to 30 to the gallon. Still not bad for 3850kg. We do have a Tunit chip box fitted and that is set to number 4 on the nine position dial. Just makes it so flexible and the Auto box makes sure that you are not changing up too early and overloading the drive train with the extra torque. One of the factors in so many gearbox failures on the Fiat based motorhomes.

About how much would I have to spend on a Tunit chip? :Eeek:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Auto

Have driven automatic cars with cruise control for over 20 years after having one on hire in the states, brilliant, wouldn't go back to a manual car.
Having said that i love driving the manual Hymer and my 2cv which will go behind it.:Smile:
The one thing i miss is on the motorhome is cruise,for the motorway, i even use it locally in 30 mph areas, fuel economy is really good in cruise.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Manual all the way.....auto boxes..as JJ days you can't bump em and you have to disconnect the prop shaft when you tow em...I've always had manual boxes as a HGV driver of many years standing I only ever had 1 auto box vehicle..a Volvo FH12 Globetrotter..I did the Volvo course on how to drive them as did a lot of drivers at the company I worked for..they were reasonable to say the least..however mine must have been a rogue one..Now I was always told you can't stall an auto..I did..I was heading for Basingstoke from Farnham I came up from Farnham heading for Basingstoke turned left at a set of lights which was a slight uphill gradient it had just rained..I had around 6 tons of weight on so I gave it some power up the hill the wheels spun profusely and it changed up 3 gears into 7th and stalled..I had to over ride the box and start again and manually feather the gears/throttle to get up the hill...when I got back to the depot I spoke to the guys at Volvo..they said it was the first time they'd heard of a gearbox doing that..result was they said well use it like a manual then..pointless in an auto I thought

I got shut of the vehicle and went back to a manual MAN artic unit..the first fall of snow that winter they were all slipping and sliding about one guy couldn't get out of a slight uphill lay bye..then they were all told to use the gearbox like a manual one for fuel saving purposes..all that money for an auto box just to use it like a manual!!!

Stay with a manual mate it's a lot less bother..that is why you have a left foot.it's for the clutch!!!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

I like the macho thing of driving a big van with a stick but I also like the easy way of no clutch, no gears..............

Got several autos of various layouts and sizes and as your only in Kent why not come and have a try. Two Autotrails, same layouts, one manual on a Fiat, other auto on a Renault.

Hymer auto on a Merc etc etc.
Autotrail Cheyenne Auto
Compass Navigator
Lunar Premier

Peter

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Being a lazy sod I prefer auto's
BUT
Having a mechanical background ( and having stripped and rebuilt lord knows how many Borg Warner box's over the years ) I will stick to manual in the van

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Was always a gearstick man, boy racer and all that but not any more. Autos are far more relaxing especially in traffic and yes they will brake downhill :Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Our Hymer is automatic (full auto with torque converter, not Sprint-shift). I love it and it is certainly an advantage with LHD as I don't keep reaching to the left for a gear-stick.
Very smooth and makes travelling a joy.
Modern auto-boxes are controlled by a program (often called auto-adaptive) which means they 'learn' your driving style and adapt accordingly. So if you are a boy(ish) racer and habitually take off from the lights in a cloud of diesel smoke, the box will learn that and delay up-shifts to provide you with that satisfying growl from the engine. If, on the other hand, like me you are a sedate member of the gentry, it will shift up sooner, realising that you value maturity and your wallet more than trying to impress the lady of 'a certain age' waiting next to you at the lights in a people carrier!
Also, modern autos know when you are going down a steep hill and shift down to provide engine braking; or you can always over-ride them by flicking the lever (left or right in my case) to select the gear of your choice.

I would not want a manual motorhome now - just wish my car was fitted with an auto too.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Auto everytime. How often do you need to 'bump' them nowadays? For goodness sake.

Craig.

OP
OP
kev&caz
Aug 13, 2009
KENT
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

I like the macho thing of driving a big van with a stick but I also like the easy way of no clutch, no gears..............

Got several autos of various layouts and sizes and as your only in Kent why not come and have a try. Two Autotrails, same layouts, one manual on a Fiat, other auto on a Renault.

Hymer auto on a Merc etc etc.
Autotrail Cheyenne Auto
Compass Navigator
Lunar Premier

Peter
:thumb: Thanks Peter I'll pop in on Sunday on my way home from camping with a tent!! :cry:

chester copperpot

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Exp
none
Going back to a manual would be like having a car with a choke, manual windows and a crank starter. A bit pointless unless it's a sports car.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Auto for me .. :thumb:

once driven you never want a stir box again ... I love them

This is of course debatable, .. but I think they make for safer driving as it's one less thing to think about and you never need to take your hands off the wheel ...

Having said that I had to Google and found this which more or less says I am wrong .. :roflmto:

http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/automatic-manual-cars-which-safer.html

they sum up by saying

Ultimately, from a safety perspective, neither automatic nor manual transmission would appear to have any decisive advantage over the other. Had it been otherwise, one would probably have displaced the other by now in general use, and insurance companies (which, after all, depend for their profitability on their ability to make relative risk assessments) would reflect the difference in their premiums. Neither of these things has happened so, if you are pondering which transmission type you would like to have in your next vehicle, there is probably no need for you to be unduly concerned with the safety implications of your choice.

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Fiat based Burstner Elegance fitted with Comfortmatic Auto gearbox and my husband cannot sing its praises enough!

One of the things he enjoys about driving a Comfortmatic is that on long journeys, especially when we are towing our car on the A frame, he finds it particular useful when driving along long stretches of motorways and dual carriageways in the cruise control mode. Unlike a manual gearbox when using cruise control, the Comfortmatic does not switch off when it needs to change gear for any reason and you can continue on with your journey with no need to reset your cruise control speed setting.

Basically, my husband; being the sole driver of our motorhome (I daren't drive it) finds driving an automatic motorhome, far more relaxing and after driving both manual and automatic vans, it would be automatic every time now!

Hope this helps?

Sue

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
:Smile: I wasn't sure when we got our van but now I wouldn't want to go back to manual.The tiptronic auto box on the Renault Master is really the best of both worlds, having said that I always use it on auto.This coupled with cruise control makes driving so relaxed and easy and I have been very pleased with mpg which consistently comes in at around 33-34mpg.I also like the way you can hillstart without handbrake!:thumb:

Last edited:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
About how much would I have to spend on a Tunit chip? :Eeek:
I bought ours eight years ago for the 2.8 Fiat/Peugeot we had at the time and it was about £400. Ran it for five years on that and when we changed to the Renault Master I rang them to see about adapting it to the Renault. They do offer this service if you need it. "No need for any mods " was the reply "It will fit straight on the Bosch system. Send it back to me and we will update the software to the latest spec FOC" So it cost me the postage to return it. It was a little trickier to fit on the Renault as the cable that links the box in is at the rear of the rocker cover and you need fingers like a midwife to reach it. They do have fitters in most areas but with a few basic tools and a little patience it is well within the reach of someone used to looking after a motorhome.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
why??? just get off the road park up and have a brew until the traffic is moving freely again no stress with stop start traffic then:thumb:

Tends to attract police attention if you try that on a motorway. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back