Oyster Mobile Satellite (iPcopter) & ITV/BBC/40D/5Demand iPlayer etc???! (1 Viewer)

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Can anyone help?
We have recently had the Oyster mobile Internet fitted to our motorhome as we need to stay in touch with our business when we are away, especially when we are touring in and around Europe. We had this set up fitted just before we set off for 2 months touring around Spain/France/Germany in April May of this year and I must say, that apart from a few set up & teething problems, we have found our mobile Internet set up invaluable. Not cheap by any means though and for most people, I would say it is not really worth the financial outlay or the data costs! Stick to a dongle and wifi booster! However, Like I say, we are fairly impressed by our set up and we do not regret our purchase!
Now - apart from using this system for business use, we were looking forward to using it to watch catch up TV websites such as ITV player, BBC iplayer, 40D, 5Demand etc. We knew we could not access these websites through our Oyster mobile Internet connection when we are outside the UK but we thought we'd be able to view them on our iPad or laptop when in the UK - but much to our disappointment, we have discovered since returning home to the UK, that this is NOT the case at all and when we log in to to any of these catch up TV websites, it comes up with a message saying NOT AVAILABLE OUTSIDE THE UK! We ARE in the UK but obviously our set up is sending out a signal that says differently!!!!
We use iPcopter as our service provider for the Oyster mobile Internet and this company is a German based business and I presume it must be something to do with this? Does anyone know
if there is a solution to this problem for when we are in the UK?
Thank you in anticipation.
Sue

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

I dont know much about this but my brother had same problem as he wanted to watch UK tv at his flat in Spain so i asked the same question on here. I was told he would need to download a proxy(makes it think your in UK) one of our members on here JJ who lives outside the uk advised me on this and as far as im aware my brother has it working fine.

Hope this helps a little until someone else comes along

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I use a proxy server.

I can choose whether to be in the UK or the USA.

Watching telly on the internet via an expensive data package?

That is flash !!!!

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you everyone, you have been very helpful and it is much appreciated.

Can you actually switch between IP addresses when using a proxy server? I ask this question as my main concern would be if changing IP addresses would adversely interfere with the data package that we have with iPcopter?

Sue

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
How ethical is living outside the UK watching BBC outside the UK without a licence?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thats ok then , so while we have to pay to have the services and production, its ok for all and sundry to watch it for free.

So all I have to do is cancel my TV licence and watch it on iPlayer, 4OD etc...

Thaks for that... BBC RIP..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
How ethical is living outside the UK watching BBC outside the UK without a licence?

Did Sue say they don't have a licence? I don't see it's anymore unethical watching across the channel than watching it anywhere away from the house.

Last edited:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thats ok then , so while we have to pay to have the services and production, its ok for all and sundry to watch it for free.

Have you ever watched anything on YouTube that breached copyright?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

LOL Bad weekend?v:winky:

Cheer up

Eddie

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Not the issue...

If you are living abroad and you want to watch the BBC live or otherwise and according to their webpage its only available to UK residents.

So if someone in Poland/Bulgaria whatever wants to watch the BBC, why should they not pay? I do and I suspect without the licence fee the BBC would end.

I could be wrong, but, in theory (to be verified by the Legal Eagles on here) could be in breach of the Theft Act.
Obtaining services dishonestly (Section 11)

The defendant:
obtains for himself or another;
services;
dishonestly;
knowing the services are made available on the basis that payment has been, is being or will be made for or in respect of them or that they might be; and
avoids or intends to avoid payment in full or in part.

This offence replaces obtaining services by deception in Section 1 of the Theft Act 1978 which is repealed by the Act.

The defendant must have the necessary intention at the time that the service is obtained (section 11 (2) (c)).

In many cases, the defendant will also have committed an offence under Section 2 of the Act by making a false representation that payment will be made or made in full. Prosecutors must decide which offence better reflects the criminality involved. The maximum sentence for the Section 11 offence is five years' imprisonment.

Charging practice

Section 11 will cover circumstances where the defendant:
obtains chargeable data or software over the internet without paying;
orders a meal in a restaurant knowing he has no means to pay;
attaches a decoder to his TV to enable him to access chargeable satellite services without paying;
uses the services of a members' club without paying and without being a member.

Intent can be proven by hiding your IP address (deception)
Chargeble TV, I suspect that this could apply to the BBC....

Unlikely to be prosecuted, but its the principle... Much as I detest the BBC, we are by British Law forced to pay them to provide a service.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They are not living abroad? Sue just said when they are away from home in Europe. No different to me going to France this August and watching BBC there. I have a licence at my home.
I agree with all off the above if a licence has not been purchased

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
They are not living abroad? Sue just said when they are away from home in Europe. No different to me going to France this August and watching BBC there. I have a licence at my home.
I agree with all off the above if a licence has not been purchased

My posting does not relate to them, its about europeans who watch the BBC and dont wish to pay. I have a sat dish and i watch the BBC when I am away, thats covered by my licence, but, I have paid, just like the OP.

Last edited:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
My posting does not relate to them, its about europeans who watch the BBC and dont wish to pay. I have a sat dish and i watch the BBC when I am away, thats covered by my licence, but, I have paid, just like the OP.

As you clearly state your post is off topic...perhaps you'd like to start your own thread and not hijack this one? :Smile:

To the OP:

Your IP address will be showing as Non-UK as all your data will already be passing through IPCopters proxy.

You may not be able to change your proxy as this might be in violation of your T's & C's as they need to monitor your traffic. This might also mean you can't change your proxy for technical reasons.

Also, if you can change to a proxy service to show you are in the UK be very wary of free services...most of them I wouldn't trust with a barge pole.

Here is a possible solution...use a slingbox at your home address to stream the TV from your house to your van.

This is assuming you have broadband and TV services at your house. A slingbox will connect to your home equipment (freeview box, freesat box, sky box etc.) and you can then watch & control said boxes from your van and if said boxes are recording versions then you could have your very own 'on demand' services not limited to the ones available on the internet.

For more info, google slingbox.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
As you clearly state your post is off topic...perhaps you'd like to start your own thread and not hijack this one? :Smile:

To the OP:

Your IP address will be showing as Non-UK as all your data will already be passing through IPCopters proxy.

You may not be able to change your proxy as this might be in violation of your T's & C's as they need to monitor your traffic. This might also mean you can't change your proxy for technical reasons.

Also, if you can change to a proxy service to show you are in the UK be very wary of free services...most of them I wouldn't trust with a barge pole.

Here is a possible solution...use a slingbox at your home address to stream the TV from your house to your van.

This is assuming you have broadband and TV services at your house. A slingbox will connect to your home equipment (freeview box, freesat box, sky box etc.) and you can then watch & control said boxes from your van and if said boxes are recording versions then you could have your very own 'on demand' services not limited to the ones available on the internet.

For more info, google slingbox.

Bryan,

I have a Echostar slingbox linked to a 10meg network and the connecion speed/viewability is in some cases poor.

By the way, how was I hijacking the thread?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Mr ShiftZZ... How "ethical" is it for the BBC to charge you for a 12 month licence fee but stop you using their services when you are away for a month on holiday?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
agree all the fee goes to the BBC,

but you must have a liecence if you have a TV in the UK not if you watch BBC.

you may not watch or intend to watch BBC

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Mr ShiftZZ... How "ethical" is it for the BBC to charge you for a 12 month licence fee but stop you using their services when you are away for a month on holiday?

Easy enough to explain,,

Terms and Conditions.,

3.2.1 If you are outside the UK
You may not access, view and/or listen to certain parts of BBC Content (such as video or live television services) using BBC Online Services if you are outside the UK, although you may, in accordance with the Terms, access and view bbc.co.uk or other websites and listen to some (but not all) BBC radio content. The types of BBC Content that may be available outside the UK will usually depend on the BBC’s agreements with the persons who own rights in such content.

Link Removed

Also

The BBC is launching an international version of its on-demand video service, the iPlayer, for Apple iPad users.

Customers who pay a monthly subscription will get access to a range of current and classic programmes.

The app will have one feature not available in the UK - the ability to download content and watch offline.

The project is being run by BBC Worldwide, the corporation's commercial arm, which said that money earned would help supplement licence-fee income.

Initially, global iPlayer will be available in 11 European countries: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, The Republic of Ireland, The Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland.

It will cost 6.99 euro per month (£6.14), with the option of an annual subscription priced at 49.99 euro (£44).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14322604

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A question for Bryan...

To connect to my proxy server I have to use an internet connection...

So I am guessing that the internet provider that supplies that connection can measure the data I use in making that connection.

Then the proxy server sends on my data to whenever and sends back the returning data...

I always assumed the original IP measures my data whether it goes on through a proxy server or not.

Is my thinking wrong?

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
A question for Bryan...

To connect to my proxy server I have to use an internet connection...

So I am guessing that the internet provider that supplies that connection can measure the data I use in making that connection.

Then the proxy server sends on my data to whenever and sends back the returning data...

I always assumed the original IP measures my data whether it goes on through a proxy server or not.

Is my thinking wrong?

Your thinking is right, and my post was perhaps a little unclear.

The use of a third party proxy may not be permitted under IPCopters rules.

I know quite a few people who use free proxies whilst in Spain and of course the traffic can be monitored through the internet connection.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Bryan,

I have a Echostar slingbox linked to a 10meg network and the connecion speed/viewability is in some cases poor.

By the way, how was I hijacking the thread?

I have no practical experience of using a slingbox but I do know of several users in Southern Spain using them quite satisfactorily.

One thing to be aware of is that home broadband speeds are often quoted by their DOWNLOAD speeds. When you use a slingbox you are effectively UPLOADING so it is this speed that can affect your viewing experience (along with other criteria such as lag and latency)

Taking the thread off to talk about European's watching BBC content without paying for it via licence fees when the OP was not talking about this is, effectively, a thread hijack. More than this it seemed like a valid discussion opportunity and I thought you might like to pursue this in a seperate thread rather than risk it being missed/lost in a thread about a UK national watching TV services whilst in the UK :Smile:

Last edited:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
agree all the fee goes to the BBC,

but you must have a liecence if you have a TV in the UK not if you watch BBC.

you may not watch or intend to watch BBC

Not strictly true...

If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device then you don't need a TV licence.

So if you own a TV (or other device) and only use it as:
A computer monitor
A screen for a computer game
A screen to watch tv services such as iplayer, 4OD etc.

You can opt out of needing a TV licence.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Not strictly true...

If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device then you don't need a TV licence.

So if you own a TV (or other device) and only use it as:
A computer monitor
A screen for a computer game
A screen to watch tv services such as iplayer, 4OD etc.

You can opt out of needing a TV licence.

So how would the iplayer be funded then?

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
So how would the iplayer be funded then?

What's that got to do with whether you need a TV licence just because you have a TV?

iplayer is funded through TV licensing...this doesn't mean you need a TV licence just because you have a TV...

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
What's that got to do with whether you need a TV licence just because you have a TV?

iplayer is funded through TV licensing...this doesn't mean you need a TV licence just because you have a TV...

Lets see...

BBC licence fees pay for the production of progs, they are then placed on the BBC server so that you can watch them on iplayer.

No licence fee, no progs, no BBC server, NO BBC,

Last edited:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Lets see...

BBC licence fees pay for the production of progs, they are then placed on the BBC server so that you can watch them on iplayer.

No licence fee, no progs, no BBC server, NO BBC,

Quite, but that doesn't mean you must have a licence just because you own a TV...does it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back