Jul 15, 2012
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
None yet...
Exp
Hi there

Just joined the MHF, so here is the first stupid question;

I think we have decided that a second-hand Autotrail Scout is the machine for us, principally for the layout and finish. We are two adults and our son who is six.
I believe they exist on Fiat and Mercedes chassis? Which is better or shouldn't I be worrying about that?

Any other points to look out for apart from the obvious stuff in buying guides?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Charlie :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Charlie...

Welcome to Fun...

I am sure both makes are fine but I always prefer rear wheel drive.

Much less likely to get stuck on wet grass with rear wheel drive.

I think this means Merc (or Iveco)

JJ

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Merc is rear wheel drive, Fiat is front wheel drive.

Rear wheel drive vans tend to have a higher floor and often have a step-down between the cab and habitation floors as a result. The bonus is that rear wheel drive vans have most of the weight on the driven wheels and get stuck less.

Front wheel drive vans tend to have a lower floor and no height difference between cab and habitation area but they get stuck more!::bigsmile:

As for the performance of the base vehicles, who cares! It's a motorhome, not an F1 car!

Neither a Merc or Fiat will break down much at motorhome mileages, so the choice is really down to the the toss of a coin! Unless you plan on driving on wet grass, of course!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Charlie...

Welcome to Fun...

I am sure both makes are fine but I always prefer rear wheel drive.

Much less likely to get stuck on wet grass with rear wheel drive.

I think this means Merc (or Iveco)

JJ

Or a Transit!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Apologies for jumping in on this thread, I have always wondered about rear suspensions on the Mercedes chassis as compared with the Alko on the Fiat.

Whilst I find that the handling of the Fiat/Alko combination which is low relative to the Mercedes is very good, the rear is definitely on the 'firm' side.

Is the Mercedes on leaf springs 'softer' and does this compromise the handling?

Opinions would be appreciated. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
As has already been pointed out, rear wheel drive will perform better on poor or wet ground.

The cost of this is a higher floor pan, higher centre of gravity, narrower track, often leaf springs from the Arc and usually a resultant poorer ride as regards body roll.

How many miles will you do on grass? Hardly any.

How many thousands of miles will you cover with poor ride quality.

Fiat or Merc? No contest.........Front Wheel Drive...........

:restmycase: :hardhat: :imoutahere:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
As has already been pointed out, rear wheel drive will perform better on poor or wet ground.

The cost of this is a higher floor pan, higher centre of gravity, narrower track, often leaf springs from the Arc and usually a resultant poorer ride as regards body roll.

How many thousands of miles will you cover with poor ride quality.

Ah, but front wheel drive owners need grip mats, tow ropes and shovels!
They eat up valuable payload and the extra load increases body roll thus making your wide-track Fiat handle like a Merc without the recovery kit on board!:winky:

And you'll be carrying that little lot for all of those thousands of road miles!!!!:roflmto:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

The cost of this is a higher floor pan, higher centre of gravity, narrower track, often leaf springs from the Arc and [HI]usually a resultant poorer ride as regards body roll.[/HI]

How many thousands of miles will you cover [HI]with poor ride quality[/HI].

Don't agree...

But I am sure I would if I spent time wallowing around on/in blue wobbly stuff in a gin palace and was a woossie Southerner... :ROFLMAO:

Real men like hard rides... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Don't agree...

But I am sure I would if I spent time wallowing around on/in blue wobbly stuff in a gin palace and was a woossie Southerner... :ROFLMAO:

[HI]Real men like hard rides[/HI]... :thumb:

Exactly.........not that wallowing rolling feeling you get from leaf springs on RWD vans. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Having owned both RWD and FWD it does'nt make any difference the layout is far more important than the chasis. In over six years we've never got stuck in either including deep snow in ski resorts in the FWD and if we did so what. Pick the layout that suits you best and just enjoy it.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
They eat up valuable payload and the extra load increases body roll thus making your wide-track Fiat handle like a Merc without the recovery kit on board!:winky:

[HI]And you'll be carrying that little lot for all of those thousands of road miles[/HI]!!!!:roflmto:

If you can't drive a FWD vehicle on grass without spinning your wheels then carry that lot.

Alternatively you can really get all the weight over the wheels by selecting reverse and using a little brain power and skill..........:reel:

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think its worth mentioning in all of this a key point...::bigsmile:

As you are buying second hand you may have a long wait for the exact van on a merc chassis unless you are very lucky. :RollEyes:

both have thier merrits i personnaly prefer the lower ride profile of the Fiat and its smooth handling. but, merc are nice...:Eeek:

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you will probably find that although the merc may appear to be a better option at first it will always come at a higher cost to buy initially and to maintain.
the pre CDi older merc sprinters are the better ones reliability wise although they can be a little underpowered and rather soft on the suspension but thats a merc trait.

fiat on the other hand will be cheaper firmer and will possibly have more power and you will definetley have more choice of layout.

with an autotrail check for a spongy floor in heavy walk areas like in the door way infront of the cooker etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007

And you'll be carrying that little lot for all of those thousands of road miles!!!!:roflmto:

Hi.

We are due to take delivery of an N&B powered by Fiat I have no intention of carrying a load of snow gear and I do not intend getting bogged down. If the ground is not good enough I will simply not drive on to it, motorhomes are too expensive to get dragged around. I have also owned three american rv's rwd & use a Mercedes Sprinter daily, which is rwd and a load of crap in the winter, when I replace it ,it will be a front wheel drive vehicle.:Smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
I have a Mercedes sprint shift 2.7 engine and it drives like a dream no wallowing etc and so much power dont know what a hill is,servicing done by mercedes not that expensive ,not had a fiat so can't comment but I think the most important thing is to spend time ensuring the layout and storage is absolutely right for you the price is right and the van is in good condition inside and out then test drive to make sure your happy with performance best of luck

Upvote 0

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
There must be a reason why 80% possibly of motorhomes are Fiat/Peugeot based. Had Fiats for 20 years and agree with the previous posts about never getting stuck in the wet. Pre plan where you park and drive carefully and you will get off.......and if you can't get towed off

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I have a scout on a fait with the alko chassis, depending on what year you go for there are three chassis options the earler ones had a chioce of the fait chassis slighty higher, slightly narrower track (more body roll) and are heavier (less payload). This has cart horse type springing on the rear axle.

The alko chassis option is more prefreble, but can have rear axle problems if it has not been regularly greased.

The alko option on the early builds mostly had alloy wheels fitted.

The newer models have the new fait camper chassis and has the positives of the alko chassis (although I have never driven one of these)

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We are on our third Fiat. The current one is a 2008 x250 or if you prefer the "camper" chasis. The 2.3 engine is superb and the chassis likewise no wallow or roll at all.
The only time we needed towing off was at Peterbrough where everyone had to be towed off (just about).
I would reccommend it to anyone. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Fiat parts are cheaper than Merc bits and the variants of the early Fiat/Pug/Citroen make them readily available from outllets as Europarts ect :thumb:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Airides my son... Airides...

The Mecedes on JJs the early ones were bullet proof....not now...bullets not needed anymore:ROFLMAO:

Do Merc fit these Airides as standard::bigsmile:.......if not:cry:........ Then we are saying More money ...More weight...to solve a possible Merc chassis, suspension, roll problem on a over priced set up to start with :Doh:

My Choice is Fiat....:thumb:

3 Days ago my RAPIDO dealer...who is trying to be very very nice to me at the moment, Is offering me an exceptional deal on 3 Mercedes RAPIDO models..(don't forget mine will be left hand drive living over here in France)...... The new Mercedes handbrake is on the right hand side of the drivers seat it stands up off the floor about 12" ..... in the gap between the two seats....:Eeek::cry:When I got up out of the drivers seat I fell over the handbrake WOW did I hurt my Bl**DY leg:swear:...for that reason alone trying to live with that lump/obstacle of a handbrake in the way.. would put me right off it........and the driving position was...Mmmm it was awful compared to the Fiat ....personal choice................nothing is perfect:Doh:

Also I expected the Merc to have a bigger payload than my Fiat....NO 500kg less:Doh:...plus the garage was smaller:Doh:.....for the same model... different chassis..layout altered a little......a few alterations not for the better I might add...it was at lot more glitz like Dame Edna Emeridge...Possum...not warming and homely

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi there

I think we have decided that a second-hand Autotrail Scout is the machine for us, principally for the layout and finish. We are two adults and our son who is six.

I believe Fiat chassis? Which is better chassis..of course:thumb:...But....I was just thinking should I be looking at the other chassis like Mercedes:Doh:...NO forget about them. ...I have just made a correction to the above to help you:winky:

Any help appreciated.
Cheers

Charlie.....Me... It would be Fiat .......for many reasons....some are mentioned by the other funster's before this reply....I am not saying the Mercedes is a bad engine chassis....BUT...... I am NOT saying it is the best.....it depends what you like

Personal choice..Your choice.....None are Bad...But..many like the Fiat ....many like Mercedes.. many like Ford...many like Renault...some like the Iveco, but these are normally on bigger heavier motorhomes......

I think the Mercedes does a little less to the gallon than the Fiat

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi there

I believe they exist on Fiat and Mercedes chassis? Which is better or shouldn't I be worrying about that?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
it is a personal thing and I would say merc every time
easy to get parts for any where in Europe and most of the continent of Africa. if you so wish to venture that far
many older outfits can still get parts at affordable prices.

I sold a 1988 merc/frankia C class in 2010 for £7.500 as it was as good as new very reliable and easy to maintain

i now have an RV only 27 foot long and after the merc i would say the next best motor to own and not as expensive to run as most think

good luck with your search for your motorhome :thumb:

Ian F

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it is a personal thing and I would say merc every time
easy to get parts for any where in Europe and most of the continent of Africa. if you so wish to venture that far
many older outfits can still get parts at affordable prices.

[HI]I sold a 1988 merc/frankia[/HI] C class in 2010 for £7.500 as it was as good as new very reliable and easy to maintain

i now have an RV only 27 foot long and after the merc i would say the next best motor to own and not as expensive to run as most think

good luck with your search for your motorhome :thumb:

Ian F

at that age the mercs were the better van to have but not so since the advent of the CDi models someone in the trade told me there are between 100 and 300 sensors on the CDi engine and to me thats an awful lot to go wrong

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Of course, as you can see me state many times elsewhere, front wheel drive motorhomes are perfect for 99.9% of users and their use of them. A trip down a tarmac road to visit campsites with hard standings needs no thought about whether you van is FWD or RWD.

However... with the motorhoming I do FWD is next to useless... watching friends with such motorhomes slipping and sliding and getting stuck on my grassy orchard (QMJ) while my two, RWD drive vehicles move around effortlessly convinces me what sort of van I need.

Motorhoming to me means freedom and I will not limit my freedom of choice where to park because I have a FWD van and am worried about getting stuck.

I have already curtailed my freedom of movement enough by not having four wheel drive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There must be a reason why 80% possibly of motorhomes are Fiat/Peugeot based. Had Fiats for 20 years and agree with the previous posts about never getting stuck in the wet. Pre plan where you park and drive carefully and you will get off.......and if you can't get towed off

Probably may be because the Fiat is much cheaper than the others so allowing a more competitive price (or bigger profit margin)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back