Sewing and machine quilting as a hobby. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As most know I collect and restore old Singer machines and what better way to enjoy these grand old machines than by putting them to work.

I've always enjoyed doing the odd mend or alteration, making and repairing tents and awnings, patching jeans etc. but never tried anything serious.. so decided to have a go at making a quilt...

This is our first ever quilt, Jan and I made it together... it now has pride of place on our bed.. since making this one we have made cushions, cot quilt for our grandson, oven gloves etc.. the bug has bitten. :roflmto:

there are more images of projects on my blog.. link in signature ..

Are there any other quilters on here ? Love to see your work ....

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Great piece of work Jim, good to see that the machines are being used for what they were intended for. I love to see any collection being used, and not just for show.
If you want to see a collection of great quilts, you should try to get to the American Museum just outside Bath, a wonderful collection of quilts many date back years.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Great piece of work Jim, good to see that the machines are being used for what they were intended for. I love to see any collection being used, and not just for show.
If you want to see a collection of great quilts, you should try to get to the American Museum just outside Bath, a wonderful collection of quilts many date back years.

Thanks .. our local quilt shop has a display by local ladies, the only problem is I get disheartened when I admire the beautiful work .. some of it truly amazing.. the shop owner asked if I were buying material for my wife and was a little more than surprised when I said no.. it was for me... don't often here of men who enjoy sewing she replied.. :roflmto:

.. but I love it,

While fulltime in the RV I took along a 3/4 sized Singer to do repairs .. there are so many little jobs that can be done around a motorhome.. curtains, upholstery, blinds, awnings, wind breaks etc .. not to mention repairs and alterations to clothes..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I still have my grandma's singer hand machine (c1929) which I use regularly. I suspect it needs a bit of tlc and some oil. I'm ashamed to say it has had none of these in at least 40 years but still does the job. My mother's and sister's modern electric machines seem to always be needing attention. My daughter has already put dibs on my machine for when I no longer need it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jan, Rory's (Forest Boy) better half is a quilter and expert Lasagne maker but thats another story
We had many a happy day bartering for fabrics when in Morocco, bet you wish you could get those fabrics and prices locally Jim

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jan, Rory's (Forest Boy) better half is a quilter and expert Lasagne maker but thats another story
We had many a happy day bartering for fabrics when in Morocco, bet you wish you could get those fabrics and prices locally Jim

you bet I do.. wish I had stocked up whilst there ...

I also make good Lasagne... would make someone a good wife .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you are not alone Jim, as the son of a shoe repairer/maker I was taught to use a singer 29k patcher and still use it regularly, my fathers old treadle is long since gone but I managed to buy an electric one. Still prefer the treadle and always looking for a base for this one. Over the years I have made suede handbags, skirts, hot pants, repaired sails, boat covers and awnings. It is a heavy old beast but will stitch most things from clothes to harness. Everybody should be able to sew.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Excellent piece of quilting you two...well done:thumb:

Before I left my last college I saw they were throwing away all od the Bernina sewing machines from when they used to teach sewing and managed to scrounge two out of the skip...after a liitle tlc both my daughters now have an excellent machine each to make their own clothes etc...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you are not alone Jim, as the son of a shoe repairer/maker I was taught to use a singer 29k patcher and still use it regularly, my fathers old treadle is long since gone but I managed to buy an electric one. Still prefer the treadle and always looking for a base for this one. Over the years I have made suede handbags, skirts, hot pants, repaired sails, boat covers and awnings. It is a heavy old beast but will stitch most things from clothes to harness. Everybody should be able to sew.

the old ones are by far the best, the stitch quality is fantastic, one that many modern machines cannot match... the best machine Singer ever made was the 201K.. rotary hook, drop feed dogs and reverse.. but they are all great.. that's just my personal preference.. Jan uses a 1/2 size featherweight, 222K .. lovely little machine and the quilters favourite.. I could talk all day about them... :roflmto:

sewing is back in vogue, prices for vintage Singers ,( pre 1965) have risen quite a lot in past three or four years.. as you say, soo many jobs that can be done..

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I can remember my mum teaching me to sew on her old treadle machine. I ussed to make all my own clothes but find it's much cheaper to buy reasy made now.
I took up X-stitch a few years ago but don't have time for it now. Too busy working and on this forum.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I can remember my mum teaching me to sew on her old treadle machine. I ussed to make all my own clothes but find it's much cheaper to buy reasy made now.
I took up X-stitch a few years ago but don't have time for it now. Too busy working and on this forum.

Hi Sue..

yes it is much cheaper to buy clothes.. not worth the effort making nowadays.. but once they wear out, instead of throwing away they can be dismantled and the unworn parts used in quilts or other projects.
We know a person who made a quilt from her fathers shirts after he died.. such a personal thing could never be bought and what a great way of remembering her father.. Jan is colecting mine at the mo.. :Eeek: :roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's great work Jim. You are clearly a man of many talents. Don't I recall you posting about wood turning as well, or ami getting confused?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
He could turn wood into quilts but its a long process :winky:
Knowing Jim he's probably outside planting he seeds::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's great work Jim. You are clearly a man of many talents. Don't I recall you posting about wood turning as well, or ami getting confused?

yes, I have a few useful talents but never managed to find the one that makes ÂŁmillions.

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Just to say what a great first effort, I would have thought you had been making quilts for years. I have dabbled in hand sewn quilts making a traditional hexagonal flower one for my daughter as an heirloom thing years ago, my sons is still a work in progress, so far has taken 15 years as other projects come along. Have made quilted playmats for the grandchildren and now doing crochet blanket for my father. Sewing machine is out again though only to make a curtain but plan to make some little dresses/playsuits for our new granddaughter. There should be more hours in the day. :Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just to say what a great first effort, I would have thought you had been making quilts for years. I have dabbled in hand sewn quilts making a traditional hexagonal flower one for my daughter as an heirloom thing years ago, my sons is still a work in progress, so far has taken 15 years as other projects come along. Have made quilted playmats for the grandchildren and now doing crochet blanket for my father. Sewing machine is out again though only to make a curtain but plan to make some little dresses/playsuits for our new granddaughter. [HI] There should be more hours in the day. [/HI]:Smile:

Thank you..

yes indeed, it does make time fly .. between sewing, cooking, turning and gardening .. not enough hours in the day.. and here I am wasting time on a forum ..:Doh: :roflmto:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I gave up sewing years ago when the first buttoneer arrived on the scene........ :ROFLMAO:

Broken Link Removed

Seriously, my mother was a dress maker following on from her munitions work in the war(womens knickers). She had an old singer (treadle) which my brother nicked for sailmaking when she got her first electric singer.

He chucked it up the tip many years ago now........shame...::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Sue..

yes it is much cheaper to buy clothes.. not worth the effort making nowadays.. but once they wear out, instead of throwing away they can be dismantled and the unworn parts used in quilts or other projects.
We know a person who made a quilt from her fathers shirts after he died.. such a personal thing could never be bought and what a great way of remembering her father.. Jan is colecting mine at the mo.. :Eeek: :roflmto:

As a penny conscious fulltimer now I loath having to buy new clothes. That's good beer money there....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have a little sewing kit and do many repairs. The only clothes I dispose of now are ones that have been stained for example with varnish or paint.

Jeans get cut up to make make patches for the knees of my work jeans etc.
Or making new pockets to replace the ones I have put key holes in:ROFLMAO:

I make my own curtains using scrap material. but hand sewing such large areas is not easy so I cheat and use wonderweb and tack the corners.

The only thing I don't attempt is darning socks. I did learn how to do this from the same girl who taught me to knit but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it now. I just make sure my toe nails are cut regularly:Doh:

At 41 I think I may be the last generation who had a parent brought up during world war II and still lives by the make do and mend philosophy. Most of my peers are throw away and buy new stuff and love the new shiny shiny. Even my friends who are in their 50's very rarely have the attitude my mum does and instilled in me.

Nice one Jim. Nice to see a good creative hobby still being practiced and those old machines doing what they were designed to do:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nice one Jim. Nice to see a good creative hobby still being practiced and those old machines doing what they were designed to do:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Karl .. I have a nice miniature Singer that sews beautifully, ideal for you!

DSC_7927.JPG

or if you want a proper sized sewing machine look out for a Singer 221k or 222k, 1/2 size and very light, cast from aluminium ..

DSC_7765.JPG

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
As a penny conscious fulltimer now I loath having to buy new clothes. That's good beer money there....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have a little sewing kit and do many repairs. The only clothes I dispose of now are ones that have been stained for example with varnish or paint.

Or [HI]making new pockets to replace the ones I have put key holes in[/HI]:ROFLMAO:

I just make sure my toe nails are cut regularly:Doh:

Is there any truth in the rumour that you have Scottish ancestry Karl, they're the only race on earth that would put locks on pockets..................

.........apologies to the Scots amongst you, esp' Jim......Frlrlreeeeeedom...
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Karl .. I have a nice miniature Singer that sews beautifully, ideal for you!

or if you want a proper sized sewing machine look out for a Singer 221k or 222k, 1/2 size and very light, cast from aluminium ..

Unfortunately I don't have space for them... I would really need to be using something like that daily or at least weekly to warrant carrying them. Pretty looking bits of engineering though:thumb:

Is there any truth in the rumour that you have Scottish ancestry Karl, they're the only race on earth that would put locks on pockets..................

.........apologies to the Scots amongst you, esp' Jim......Frlrlreeeeeedom...
:ROFLMAO:
Very funny:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.. As it happens I spent 6 years when I was a kid in North Scotland and have some very fond memories..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My Mother was a home worker for Klever Klad in London in late fifties to middle sixties, she used to make anything from 300-500 child dresses a week, I can remember hearing the sewing machine before I got up for school, and after I went to bed. I got paid 2/6 for turning the belts inside out. And that was all on a Singer like the 221K. Dad converted it to electric from a treadle. I remember unscrewing the brushes out of the motor out of curiosity, and getting an electric shock. ::bigsmile:

Ian

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice work jim .keep it up. nothing wrong with sewing .
amazes me how many cant do it .old and young .
and sewing buttons by hand isnt a problem.
not so keen on putting new zips in jeans but can.
had to put a new zip on a sleeping bag awhile ago that was difficult, too much to play around with but it worked.
making curtains or covering cushions for caravans easy really . cant be without a singer . cheers .

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Jim
Jan is a quilter she started it when we started travelling in a motorhome seriously about 6 years ago. She had lessons from a lady in Chatanooga when we were touring the USA the cost was Jan made her a Arran jacket for her grandaughter.
Each time we've changed motorhome the first thing she asks is "can we fit the sewing machine in and is there room for my quilting"::bigsmile: We buy material all over the world, even China last year on the motorbike trip we had to bring material back with us. We use the motorhome to go to quilting shows around the Uk. She even got me involved and I do all the cutting for her quilts. She also has designed quite a few quilts of her own and also makes quilted bags of all sorts. Its quite a nice hobby when we're away in the van for 3 months at a time. Will try and post a couple of pics later on:thumb::thumb:

As for the Lasagne Geo is taking the proverbial and probably gonna get a thick ear next time Jan sees him:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I absolutely love your quilt Jim and do note that it is particularly detailed. My sister is very into sewing and has made quilts for all the family but, sadly, mine is now in the loft, as are many of the other quilts she made. She is now into hardanger and black work which, of course, is done by hand.

I must say Jim that I was very moved at the thought of a man like you, you do come across as quite tough and aggressive at times, quilting and sitting at the sewing machine. Very re-assuring, thinking that there is softness in the hardest of us. Lovely thread. :Smile:

Ivy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Couple of pics the first one was Jans own design Fairies in the Garden for our grandaughter. The second was a baby quilt and matching bag. The third was for our daughters new home. The fourth is a knitting bag.

Attachments

• 005 (4).jpg
    005 (4).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 29
  • jans bags 002.jpg
    jans bags 002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Couple of pics the first one was Jans own design Fairies in the Garden for our grandaughter. The second was a baby quilt and matching bag. The third was for our daughters new home. The fourth is a knitting bag.

Very very nice.. thanks for showing them :thumb:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie

Or making new pockets to replace the ones I have put key holes in:ROFLMAO:

I make my own curtains using scrap material. but hand sewing such large areas is not easy so I cheat and use wonderweb and tack the corners.

The only thing I don't attempt is darning socks. I did learn how to do this from the same girl who taught me to knit but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it now. I just make sure my toe nails are cut regularly:Doh:

At 41 I think I may be the last generation who had a parent brought up during world war II and still lives by the make do and mend philosophy. Most of my peers are throw away and buy new stuff and love the new shiny shiny. Even my friends who are in their 50's very rarely have the attitude my mum does and instilled in me.

I know it's a bit perverse but I find darning strangely satisfying and I still use my granny's old wooden mushroom.I remember my aunt asking me to darn all the toes and heels of my male cousins new woolen socks before they went off to boarding school as a preventative measure. On reflection,that does seem a little over cautious. She was probably just trying to keep me out of mischief.:Doh:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I've got my grandma wooden mushroom too! My mum used to try and show me how to tat (like crocheting but with a metal bobbin thingy) but never could grasp the method. I think it was a way of making fine lacy doilies?

If find it interesting that I seem to be the only one of my daughters friends mothers who has any practical knowledge of these things. Mind you most of them are 10 yrs are more younger so I suppose they grew up in the disposable age!

I can remember having clothes made out of my Mums old dresses when I was younger. She made all the duvets, duvet covers and pillow cases for our beds. I still have some and they must be 20 yr old but made so well that they're still going strong. As you can tell I'm not one for changing things just on a whim. If it's still good enough to use I keep on using it!!!! Yorkshire stinginess perhaps?

I also have my grandma's book that she used to keep a record of what clothing repairs/ alteration that she used to do for people at home. 3s 6d to make a dress etc.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi sue .think you could be right about yorkshire carefullness i cal it . my mum made loads of things for people .wedding dresses all over the house .dont think she ever charged anywhere near enough . she also made teddyboy drapes for me and my mates . she did anything . i know lots of mates daughters always called in to see my mum she made blouses fashion dresses for them .just show her a picture and in a couple of days you had the item .
we had boxes of material to clear when my parents died ,but luckily passed most on to a friends mum.
at one time she did work for a small company that did work for famous artists . even there she never made a fortune but got great pleasure.
in my bungalow here i have kept the picture rail .really just as a reminder of my mum, she would have it full of clothes in various stages . think usefull people have been on the wain for years .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back