Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Has anyone any experience of this.Link Removed
Or am I best forking out for a status Directional.Is a 550 worth the extra or are they much the same as a 530 or 540.Finally I at present have a flying saucer type,which as advised by members of this site ,is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, would the new status go in same position and could I fit it myself,or any idea of fitting cost

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I suspect that you will waste your money with that. There is only one way to get a proper signal and that is a good aerial up a pole. :Eeek: And even then lots of things gan get in the way, and degrade the signal. :cry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Aerial

Are status one of the better makes or are u paying for a name?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont waste your cash on that ebay thing.. Also it's a magnetic base so aint going to stick on your van roof...

Either buy a status that designed and looks the part on a camper or use a household TV aerial and a mast.. Will not look as nice but will do the job you want.....

The "flying saucer" type you have now is "omni" directional and looks to pick up a signal from every direction. The Tv signals for the area you are in usually only come from one directions. Hence having the ability to point a directional aerial at the signal is best.. Like on a house where you see all the aerial in the street pointing the same way...

Note.... To techies..Yes I am aware that some areas can receive more than one signal but lets not confuse the poster.. :)

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if you have a sat box at home why not consider a portable sat dish, probably not much more expensive than a new status aerial, which in my opinion are not very good, but some people get them to work fine, I must admit I haven’t tried mine since the old analogue signal was turned off and digit signal has been turned up so they MAY perform better now

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you have a sat box at home why not consider a portable sat dish, probably not much more expensive than a new status aerial, which in my opinion are not very good, but some people get them to work fine, I must admit I haven’t tried mine since the old analogue signal was turned off and digit signal has been turned up so they MAY perform better now
Agreed....get a signal just about anywhere.

pics of my set-up using a sky mini dish with quad LNB (eBay £17) and an old camera tripod (£5 in a charity shop)

Attachments

• 001 (Large).jpg
    001 (Large).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 002 (Large).jpg
    002 (Large).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 27

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also agree, have a browse on ebay, plenty of Sky mini dishes with quad LNBs for around 20 quid , or get this one complete with cable, sat finder and tripod for £53 .. that's not bad, a sat finder plus cable is worth £20 .. so that's about a tenner for the tripod ..

Link Removed

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sat dish

Got sky at home and Motorhome came with a maxview sat dish,tripod and box of bits put them in my shed thought they'd be too bulky.Now reconsidering what else would I need and how do I do it

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
if you have the tripod + dish + lnb + box at home then all you need is

the cable

if you want to you can fit a cable entry
Link Removed

or you could just put it throught the window to start with

and for quickness use push fit f conector converters

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlinecableandmisc.html#QuickFconnector

you may need a sat finder, personly I use my freesat box sigle strenth meter...

but you have the basic kit try it out

edit:

chuck it all in the van and drivr up to doncaster one PM this week not monday and we can set vit up here for you

Last edited:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Has anyone any experience of this.Link Removed
Or am I best forking out for a status Directional.Is a 550 worth the extra or are they much the same as a 530 or 540.Finally I at present have a flying saucer type,which as advised by members of this site ,is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot, would the new status go in same position and could I fit it myself,or any idea of fitting cost

I got something similar from Maplin last week ... £19.99 and have it plugged into my laptop here at the Cheshire showground and have just finished watching Tour de France and Moto GP prior to that. Perfect picture so I can recommend it. Mine works through a telly programme also bought for £20 at Maplin. So you don't necessarily need all singing and dancing kit. Plus its all very compact and lightweight.

An unbiased view from a USER, not a fireside "expert"

d view from a USER of such equipment. Not a fireside expert

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have an Aldi Sat dish and 12V decoder. £49.00 all in!

It works well and has a suction mount for the MH roof.:thumb:

A word of warning about the use of dishes on tripods though, if you use these on a French aire you are 'camping' and shouldn't be using the said aire!:Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
We have an Aldi Sat dish and 12V decoder. £49.00 all in!

It works well and has a suction mount for the MH roof.:thumb:

A word of warning about the use of dishes on tripods though, if you use these on a French aire you are 'camping' and shouldn't be using the said aire!:Smile:

very good piont,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Got sky at home and Motorhome came with a maxview sat dish,tripod and box of bits put them in my shed thought they'd be too bulky.Now reconsidering what else would I need and how do I do it
Just a length of coax with F type plugs and the ability to find 28deg east.

not at all difficult and takes me around 5 mins from removing the dish from its locker to watching TV (except at Eden camp and that took over an hour :Blush:)

put in simple terms.....set the dish facing south then turn it very slowly anticlockwise (east) until you get a signal/picture then fine tune by turning the dish a very small amount at a time until you have the best picture.

much easier with a sat finder...most emit a screech/whistle/whine, getting louder as you get nearer the correct position.

Last edited:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I suspect that you will waste your money with that. There is only one way to get a proper signal and that is a good aerial up a pole. :Eeek: And even then lots of things gan get in the way, and degrade the signal. :cry:

We have an aerial up a pole and get a great signal everywhere in the UK, even the north of Scotland. IMHO the status is rubbish (said from experience).

See our wee cavvie, Ellie, on the left. Her KC name isn't a posh as your pooch's. Ellie's name is Davbar on the Run (David and Barbara? I don't know). ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back