9 die in avalanche. (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Yes, 9 died in an avalanche. 3 Britons, and 6 others. Such a shame, doing what they enjoyed. Accomplished, and experienced, leaving grieving families and friends behind, a tragic accident, unavoidable.

Now if 3 Britons and 6 others had been killed racing at the TT, doing what they enjoyed, Accomplished and experienced, leaving grieving families and friends behind, a tragic accident, unavoidable. There would have been calls for the TT races to be banned, it would be called barbaric, archaic, inhumane, and slaughter in the name of sport.

I don't see anyone calling for mountain climbing to be banned, why is this?

Craig

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Yes, 9 died in an avalanche. 3 Britons, and 6 others. Such a shame, doing what they enjoyed. Accomplished, and experienced, leaving grieving families and friends behind, a tragic accident, unavoidable.

Now if 3 Britons and 6 others had been killed racing at the TT, doing what they enjoyed, Accomplished and experienced, leaving grieving families and friends behind, a tragic accident, unavoidable. There would have been calls for the TT races to be banned, it would be called barbaric, archaic, inhumane, and slaughter in the name of sport.

Craig

Good question Craig, I was going to say that crashes in the TT could kill or injure bystanders but giving it further though, an avalanche has the potential to wipe out an entire village.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yes, 9 died in an avalanche. 3 Britons, and 6 others. Such a shame, doing what they enjoyed. Accomplished, and experienced, leaving grieving families and friends behind,[HI] a tragic accident, unavoidable.[/HI]

Now if 3 Britons and 6 others had been killed racing at the TT, doing what they enjoyed, Accomplished and experienced, leaving grieving families and friends behind, [HI]a tragic accident, unavoidable.[/HI] There would have been calls for the TT races to be banned, it would be called barbaric, archaic, inhumane, and slaughter in the name of sport.

Craig

I am as certain as I can be about anything, in this uncertain world, that I will not meet my death mountain climbing or having anything to do with the TT races...

Unavoidable ?????

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
simsy56
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
The point i was making is that if anyone is killed racing in the TT, all the media is on it in a flash, calling for the races to be stopped for good, knowing nothing about it, and it has even been called the Isle of Manslaughter!???

The press, portray the IOM as a sort of slaughter house, showing photos of areas with a cross or wreath on the wall, and screaming for it to be stopped! And some of the photos are not even on the TT course, some were traffic accidents involving cars, so it shows how badly informed some of the idiots are.

I, like JJ, will not meet my maker, racing motorbikes, or mountain climbing. I have not got the bottle. But, I would not try to stop anyone enjoying their chosen sport, unlike some people.

I have marshalled at the TT, and MGP races for nearly 25 years, I am still in awe of the guys who race here for the love of the sport.

Craig

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The point i was making is that if anyone is killed racing in the TT, all the media is on it in a flash, calling for the races to be stopped for good, knowing nothing about it, and it has even been called the Isle of Manslaughter!???

The press, portray the IOM as a sort of slaughter house, showing photos of areas with a cross or wreath on the wall, and screaming for it to be stopped! And some of the photos are not even on the TT course, some were traffic accidents involving cars, so it shows how badly informed some of the idiots are.

I, like JJ, will not meet my maker, racing motorbikes, or mountain climbing. I have not got the bottle. But, I would not try to stop anyone enjoying their chosen sport, unlike some people.

I have marshalled at the TT, and MGP races for nearly 25 years, I am still in awe of the guys who race here for the love of the sport.

Craig

Crosses, wreaths and bunches of flowers alongside country roads and lanes are unfortunately a sign of the times anywhere in the UK now Simsy, it's not just the domain of the IOM. It's funny? Ironic when I was younger I never noticed the speed that motorcyclists came toward me around bends but lately as some of them pass me I just expect to hear a deadly sounding BANG.:Sad::Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The deaths were very tragic and the people involved all seemed to be proficient performing for an excellent charitable cause. But, they were enjoying their chosen sport and hobby.
All that said, the media coverage did seem overwhelmingly saturated with the story and banged it out over several days.
Quite different when some of our lads were killed in Afghanistan a few days ago. Just the routine report and then dropped as if not interesting enough.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Was it? According to a news report some of the party turned back because they considered it to dangerous to continue.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back