Polarity - does it matter? again (2 Viewers)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks for the replies yesterday, I now understand about double pole switching but..........
I checked polarity on the van on hook up this morning - the tester showed normal.
I made a lead up reversed, neutral into live and put that in line with the HU, went back in the van expecting the tester to show reversed polarity - No showed 'normal'
I have just double-checked the reversed cable - OK
The van is an 04 Burstner is it possible that the van reversed polarity back to normal? - confused
Vic

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I know this may sound silly, .. but just checking... Presumably you made up a short lead to reverse the polarity, you didn't have a grey moment and reverse BOTH ends perhaps ?

If not, then you either have an auto polarity change over switch or a duff tester..

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I know this may sound silly, .. but just checking... Presumably you made up a short lead to reverse the polarity, you didn't have a grey moment and reverse BOTH ends perhaps ?

If not, then you either have an auto polarity change over switch or a duff tester..

Guilty - Grey moment - thanks - Vic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I understand the theory about why this matters, and the safety argument, but I am still not convinced that there is an issue, at least for me!

My van is a continental -french - van so I think it highly likely that the inbuilt electrics (charger, fridge, boiler) are safe with polarity either way (ie both live and neutral switched).

The mains sockets do not have switches so it doesn't matter for these.

This leaves the appliances themselves. We don't have many, and most (chargers etc) are not designed specifically for british use and will be safe with either polarity.

When appliances are actually in use it doesn't matter about polarity, as others have pointed out with AC.

So for the odd british designed and built appliance that causes concern, just unplug it when not in use (always safest anyway) - I suspect its only very old appliances that have any risk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back