pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a problem !!!! :Doh:

I asked for my payslips to be sent via email as i now submit my weekly timesheet the same way so i dont need to visit our office, ever again :thumb:

now the problem.....

the office server sends email attachments as .DAT files and i cant open them :Sad:

I've asked if the wages admin can send in another file format but the answer is a definite NO....I know she can but wont mess with the format.

what i need is an easy way to convert these files to PDf or similar which i can open easily with Adobe, Excel starter 20 etc.

i tried renaming the .DAT file as a PDF which works but adobe simply displays the DAT machine code

looked online for free converters but the ones i can see are far to complicated for use just once a week.

any help appreciated :thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
.dat files are normally data files, I would suggest asking what specific software is used to write these files, normally you then need the same software to read them. Its unlikely to be the mail server that created them, possibly whatever program they use for payroll??

Just on the offchance that they are just general data files you could try opening with a text editor such as Notepad. Whilst its certainly worth a try its a bit of a longshot.

Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Isn't there a law about providing payslips in a suitable format.

I seem to remember being asked for payslips electronically and we had to meet certain requirements about human readability?

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now

I seem to remember being asked for payslips electronically and we had to meet certain requirements about human readability?

YES there is:thumb::thumb:...covered by the wages act...

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try this John...
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-convert-a-dat-file-into-a-word-document/

or failing that email me the file so that I can have a go at it...

Derek
tried the link but it still wont convert.
I already tried that one but couldnt make any sense of it until now :RollEyes:

Adobe reader 9.1, notepad and wordpad.......no luck, still only shows code.

no offence Derek, and i appreciate the offer, but you aint seeing my payslip. :Eeek: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

YES there is:thumb::thumb:...covered by the wages act...

but this is a courtesy service, not the norm.

we are issued with paper payslips.

just an excuse on my part not to visit the office unless i really need to. :Doh:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Are you using a Mac by any chance, or other non-Windows computer? I have this problem quite often - it is to do with the crap way in which Outlook formats messages so that only other Outlook compliant users can view them with guaranteed success. It can be overcome by getting the sender to modify their settings. It seems that there is little consistency in the problem either. I can get several e-mails with attachments from a sender without difficulty, then one appears from the same sender with the dreaded Winmail.dat.

Read this knowledge article from the Microsoft website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you using a Mac by any chance, or other non-Windows computer? I have this problem quite often - it is to do with the crap way in which Outlook formats messages so that only other Outlook compliant users can view them with guaranteed success. It can be overcome by getting the sender to modify their settings. It seems that there is little consistency in the problem either. I can get several e-mails with attachments from a sender without difficulty, then one appears from the same sender with the dreaded Winmail.dat.

Read this knowledge article from the Microsoft website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061
Thanks Philip...very informative and will be pointed out to Shannell in the office....along with the fact pointed out by others that to provide the service officially they are going to have to alter the file format to enable all recipients to read the file.

I'm using a windows based laptop running windows 7 premium.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
This is a bit interesting to me because someone wants to send me a Windat file and I said errrr, what's that? - and he said like a zip file, just use windat like you would winzip to erm, un-dat it.

No idea what to do with it frankly.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
This is a bit interesting to me because someone wants to send me a Windat file and I said errrr, what's that? - and he said like a zip file, just use windat like you would winzip to erm, un-dat it.

No idea what to do with it frankly.

.dat files are NOT zip files - the dat refers to 'data' when the system has no idea what the related application should be - it is a generic file extension.

If you are referring to Winmail.dat specifically, read the link in my earlier reply to PappaJ above.
If the problem is .dat files generally, read this link:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-open-dat-files/

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi John find out what accounts program they are using, if its Sage I can send you a copy, which may allow you to read the files.

Ian

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
John,

Assuming you are paid via bank transfer...
Assuming you are paid weekly...

Why not just ask them to keep the paper copies and you'll call in once a month for them?

You can check the right amount is paid via your bank.

As an aside...you say they are .dat files.

Are they winmail.dat or another filename?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Attention all Mac Users

This has been a really useful thread - it prompted me to look more deeply into the dreaded 'Winmail.dat' problem.

There are two or three converters that can be installed on a Mac but I chose this free one called 'TNEF's Enough'.
http://www.joshjacob.com/mac-development/tnef.php

It installs as an application (drag and drop) then can be used either by saving a Winmail.dat attachment from a mail message, then opening it with TNEF. To make this an automatic choice, select a Winmail.dat file in the finder, click 'Command + I' for file info and change the associated application for this file type to 'TNEF's Enough' at the 'open with' drop-down. Choose 'change all' so that all versions of .dat files use TNEF's enough, then you can simply double click the Winmail.dat attachment in the mail message and it is opened and converted. At the foot of the window you will see any relevant attachments listed by name; save them (to the desktop) and open with the relevant application (Word, Excel, Acrobat, Preview etc.).

:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back