Inconsiderate, Arrogant and Unnecessary (1 Viewer)

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
Standby for a RANT that will polar divide the readers. Before I erupt however, let me just say that I normally keep my Motorhome Fun experience as a watching brief with the occasional polite post for information, the replies to which, I am most grateful. I am not a serial ranter.

Right lets rip. Why Oh! why, do some motorhomers find the need to run petrol generators? Not just that, why do they run them whenever they please?, without asking their neighbours if they mind, at all hours of the day and night and without a thought for the inconvenience they are causing others. It's inconsiderate, arrogant and totally unnecessary. Furthermore, why is it most generator users opt for the noisy options such as the very popular 'smoked herring' variety as opposed to the quieter versions? I'll tell you why. Because they prefer to inconvenience others rather than inconvenience their wallet!

Before I open the doors for the tirade of abuse/support let me lay out my stall. I've been motorhoming for 2 1/2 years spending 184 nights and 193 nights aboard in the first two years respectively. Prior to that I cruised the oceans of the world for 17 years aboard a 43' cruising yacht spending 7 months of every year aboard. In all of that time I've never once found the need to inconvenience others by invading the peace and quiet with a generator. OK, sometimes I've had to adapt my lifestyle but why should others suffer for my needs? Get a decent battery capacity, fit solar if you need to, but stop acting as if your power needs are the only thing that matters. If you 'need' a two bar fire, microwave, hair curlers, electric blanket blah, blah, blah, can I politely suggest you stay at home - you will be much more comfortable.

OK, I'm in my bunker, tell me I'm wrong.

PS I f you run a heart and lung machine - I'll wind my neck in

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
so are you saying that,

apart from an oxygen machine,

there is no need? ever? at any time? :RollEyes:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Totally agree. My theory is that its OK to spend thousands on extras that CAN be seen but not on extras like alternative power and good battery systems that CANT. Having said that we can sit indefinitely in any weather without any outside power and we have all the luxuries at hand even hair straighteners which I hasten to add are of no use to me whatsoever.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
When there is a battery pack & solar energy setup that will charge the mobility scooter without draining the system, then I will not need to start my generator to recharge the batteries.
Or perhaps I will sell the Motorhome & just sit in the house, keeping out of everyones way & not upsetting people with my inconsiderate actions.:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
the genny

[FONT=&quot]Always going to attract a comment or two this one.
Have to say that when we bought our motorhome we also bought a genny, that was 3 yrs ago, in that time we have only used the genny 3 times.
Oddly enough all 3 thimes in a lay-by enroute so we could use the toaster.
Two years ago we had a solar panel fitted, as we mostly stay on Caravan club sites with a EHU we have found the genny redundant.
The odd occasions we have stayed without EHU the batteries have managed fine, ok we aren`t using any 240v appliances but we have managed.

So we have settled into a routine were we really don`t need a genny.
Ok we bought the Kipor, slightly more noisy than the Honda, I made a sound proof box that made it almost silent, granted you need the storage room to carry these items but surely a little etiquette and common sense can avoid any conflicts when using your genny.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
My motorhome is good for those situations as it has wheels on.

I can go to them and say you are an anti social t---t and move on.

Its isn't often and its the same story just a tiny minority

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well, in terms of threads,

This one takes the biscuit.

I will sell up straight away, bow to your 2/12 years of motorhoming and retire to my house.
Never mind the fact that some of our members have disability scooters, oxygen machines or what ever else.
Never mind the fact that I have an ultra quiet Honda eu10 strapped as far away from others as I can get it and used rarely.

Inconsiderate? I think that should be the title of a thread about this thread?

Arrogant? Why am I arrogant?

Unnecessary? Have you tried skiing a couple of weeks in the Alps with tempretures hitting -20 and only 9 hours of sunshine with a family?

Nothing against some-ones point of view about gennies, but I personally find your thread insulting and aggressive and put across in such an impolite manner.

I do hope your not akin to the manner of your post, if so, I do hope I never have to park alongside you , its not the genny you will need worry about , its the noisy kids :Smile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
My wife's medical kit will trash 300Ah of batteries in 24 hrs. No amount of solar on a Motorhome, in this country, will keep up with that. I recharge with a little 1kva silent suitcase generator, 49db @ 7m, upon which I attach a sign explaining that it is charging medical batteries and will be shut down ASAP. :thumb:

If I really want to piss off the neighbours, I start up the 5.5kw on board Onan. :ROFLMAO::Eeek::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
so are you saying that,

apart from an oxygen machine,

there is no need? ever? at any time? :RollEyes:

In a nutshell - yes. My 19 or so years on the road/ocean proves my submission I think. On the wheels I've fitted 360amps of leisure battery (circa 180 amps useable) and I have a small portable solar panel that I use for trickling the traction battery. Perhaps to prove the point further, I've just returned from a 6 week trip around France during which time I spent virtually every night on aires and never even came close to compromising the power. On the two occasions it was required, I stayed on a campsite to recharge at a total cost of 31 Euros and no inconvenience to anyone. My main point is - sometimes you have to inconvenience yourself before others. Moreover, if you do 'need' to inconvenience others it is only reasonable, polite and socially responsible to do so as little as possible and having first apologised/ asked for their agreement. Call me old fashioned if you must.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Right lets rip. Why Oh! why, do some motorhomers find the need to run petrol generators? Not just that, why do they run them whenever they please?,
.................................................................................................................................

Have you ever thought to some people it is a nessasary thing...

If it were not for our generator, we would not be able to go away... Most that know us will understand..

We always ask to be put out of the way, for that reason we run a genny...

We bought a "Honda" so as not to run the on board genny which are far from quiet in a yank RV.. :Sad:

Run up a skull & crossbone flag and we will steer clear of you.. :Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I don’t own a genny

In 3.5 years of motor homing I have never seen one in use

Ditto for 15 years of caravanning

Ditto for 4 years trailer tenting and ditto a long time tent camping

Chill out neighbour you'll get blood pressure, where have you been pitching to get so upset

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
In a nutshell - yes. My 19 or so years on the road/ocean proves my submission I think. On the wheels I've fitted 360amps of leisure battery (circa 180 amps useable) and I have a small portable solar panel that I use for trickling the traction battery. Perhaps to prove the point further, I've just returned from a 6 week trip around France during which time I spent virtually every night on aires and never even came close to compromising the power. On the two occasions it was required, I stayed on a campsite to recharge at a total cost of 31 Euros and no inconvenience to anyone. My main point is - sometimes you have to inconvenience yourself before others. Moreover, if you do 'need' to inconvenience others it is only reasonable, polite and socially responsible to do so as little as possible and having first apologised/ asked for their agreement. Call me old fashioned if you must.

Its about what part of your life do you think is so much more important than everyone elses,?

I don't actually use my generator other than when skiing, along with the other 20 vans on an aire doing the same, using them at a sensible hour,

But what I cant get my head around is your aggressive nature to your post? there has been loads of Genny V no Genny threads over the years,

Has some one upset you? were they inconsiderate? then move on,

Someone pulled out in front of me this morning taking the kids to school, I ain't upset by it, some people are a little inconsiderate, but don't tar everyone with the same brush :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont see a problem with charging mobility scooters from a decent solar/wind battery bank. When we had the two battery bikes with 36volt batteries I bought a 12volt-36volt converter to charge them from the battery bank. This worked without discharging my battery bank although it was somewhat expensive.
OK I see a problem with the extra weight of a good battery bank, BUT if you dont put all the extra toys on then the weight is not a problem.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
In a nutshell - yes. My 19 or so years on the road/ocean proves my submission I think.

No your 19 years on the road/ocean proves your different to others,
You have not got an electic scooter, disabled, oxygen machine, go skiing, run a meet, rally for a week with a family, place reason here.

its a little bit of a selfish thought to be honest. :Smile:

But, hey, your entitled to your opinion, just don't be so aggressive when you make it. :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Found it,

Maybe you might want to click on this recent poll I carried out?

Might show you what others really think and see that Laneside has the answer.

The great thing about motorhoming is that you can just pick up and move on, not like having a house and being routed next to a set of neighbours.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
My motorhome is good for those situations as it has wheels on.

I can go to them and say you are an anti social t---t and move on.

Its isn't often and its the same story just a tiny minority

Thanks for pointing out something that perhaps I should have highlighted initially - as always it's a tiny minority -your absolutely right.

It's interesting to note, as I suspected it might, there are two polarized viewpoints already showing their hand. On the one side those in total agreement with my post and those on a counter rant. To separate the wheat from the chaff, the post is not intended to be a technical one but more to highlight the arguements of 'Rights and Responsibilities'. I bow to everyone that has 'needs', especially genuine ones, but I hope the thread might ask the question, Why are my needs more important than my neighbours? Or perhaps with a little civility we might come to a civilised compromise and meet everyones needs without bullishly living in a world where 'me' is all that counts. hey ho!

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Can I just ask, why do people not use their gas fires and gas cookers? I have no objection to gennies, probably because I've never been inconvenienced by one, although I can see that it would be really annoying to be parked beside one that's running all day. Can a gennie not just run for an hour or two to recharge everything? :Smile: Maybe we need to make allowances for the op. He might have had a sleepless night parked beside a running gennie and, let's be fair, I have seen a lot more aggression on here at times. :Smile:

Ivy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
yesterday some one asked a question,

Has this site become like the darkside?

Im going to go and find JH, I think he has some sort of power to look in to the future, he must of known this was coming. :ROFLMAO:

Im off to set up a show at Knutsford, please don't park near me, I will be running a genny for the tea earn and the entertainment for the funsters. :thumb:

Incidently, not a polarised view, I rarely very rarely run my Genny, but, I accept people have a choice or in some cases, no choice, it's not your world, its mine too. :thumb:

have a nice day :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Surely the main thrust of this threat is people being inconsiderate, I have to say that in the main the vast majority of motorhomers are considerate, but, as in most things there are those who are not and consider their needs to be above all others.
That is wrong, but try telling them and you will be banging your head against a brick wall.

I have experienced inconsiderate motorhomers, you have a choice, you either move on or tackle it. Sometimes moving off is not an option.

Recently, I was parked in an aire in France and had to make an early start (6:00AM) so I cleared everything away the night before, the only thing I had to do in the morning was turn off the gas and go, I chose not to level the van off, because of the noise issue in the morning. I started the engine, drove off as quiet as I could, no lights, nothing else.

Other just do whatever and have NO consideration for others.

And that my friends is the problem.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Why not use my 4kw twin cylinder Onan genny when we need the heating on or for battery charging, it says its silent on the case :Smile: anyway I like the sound :thumb:
If I am the arrogant one , I appreciate the compliment :Cool:
We have two 120w solar panels on the roof and two 110a domestic batteries but on a long weekend without hookup at any freezing UK show meet they are not sufficient and there will be gennies everywhere :Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have even seen motorhomers park up having driven all day get the genny out and start it up. Do they not have any batteries or has the alternater packed up.:Doh:

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
yesterday some one asked a question,

Has this site become like the darkside?

Im going to go and find JH, I think he has some sort of power to look in to the future, he must of known this was coming. :ROFLMAO:

Im off to set up a show at Knutsford, please don't park near me, I will be running a genny for the tea earn and the entertainment for the funsters. :thumb:

Incidently, not a polarised view, I rarely very rarely run my Genny, but, I accept people have a choice or in some cases, no choice, it's not your world, its mine too. :thumb:

have a nice day :thumb:

Hey, sorry folks. If my use of the English language has upset people you have my humble apologies. You see, I come from a long military background where we call a spade a spade. Unfortunately I fear it may have clouded the argument. With one final reply (I promise) let me say what finally blew the pressure plug. I've just returned from the Burton Agness Jazz Festival - absolutely brilliant. Lots of caravans, motorhomes and tents in a small space. At 1030 on night two I asked a motorhomer, who was partying outside his wagon, if he would mind turning off the generator that had been running all day. His reply verbatim, ".... off, I've paid the same as you and if my wife wants her electric blanket she can ........in av it, now ...... off". Hot water bottle ? Cheers to all, apologies if required, but please think about the underlying argument.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Surely the main thrust of this threat is people being inconsiderate, I have to say that in the main the vast majority of motorhomers are considerate, but, as in most things there are those who are not and consider their needs to be above all others.
That is wrong, but try telling them and you will be banging your head against a brick wall.

I have experienced inconsiderate motorhomers, you have a choice, you either move on or tackle it. Sometimes moving off is not an option.

Recently, I was parked in an aire in France and had to make an early start (6:00AM) so I cleared everything away the night before, the only thing I had to do in the morning was turn off the gas and go, I chose not to level the van off, because of the noise issue in the morning. I started the engine, drove off as quiet as I could, no lights, nothing else.

Other just do whatever and have NO consideration for others.

And that my friends is the problem.

But I could say thats really inconsiderate to me? I could start a thread stating that its Inconsiderate, rude, thoughtless and basically you are a twat for doing it.

You starting your engine at 06-00 would piss me right off. It would wake me up for sure, despite how quiet you tried to do it.
Why don't you get lost and park in a layby up the road if you know your going early?

Scotjims, dislike was always people pulling up on an aire gone 10 pm arriving at 1 am and looking for somewhere to park.
We can all find inconsiderate people in what we do, and I dont often take umbridge, but I think the OP suggested that I and anyone that uses a Genny was all the things he mentions,

And that's a Fact, (stolen from Geo) :Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hey, sorry folks. If my use of the English language has upset people you have my humble apologies. You see, I come from a long military background where we call a spade a spade. Unfortunately I fear it may have clouded the argument. With one final reply (I promise) let me say what finally blew the pressure plug. I've just returned from the Burton Agness Jazz Festival - absolutely brilliant. Lots of caravans, motorhomes and tents in a small space. At 1030 on night two I asked a motorhomer, who was partying outside his wagon, if he would mind turning off the generator that had been running all day. His reply verbatim, ".... off, I've paid the same as you and if my wife wants her electric blanket she can ........in av it, now ...... off". Hot water bottle ? Cheers to all, apologies if required, but please think about the underlying argument.

Thank you for your explanation, welcome to Fun, might of been easier to start with this from the word go.

Then we would of given you lots and lots of advice on how to deal with this type of person, Like leaving at 06-00 whilst starting your van outside his :Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The great thing about motorhoming is that you can just pick up and move on, not like having a house and being routed next to a set of neighbours.

True, but why should anyone have to move on because of an inconsiderate neighbour ?

In three years full time with many many nights without mains power .. (Morocco was good example, four weeks with no EHU ) I only had to run the on board genny once to charge up, and this was on a deserted aire during winter .. no one was within earshot.

My opinion is that if you can't get by without a genny you need to look at what power you are using and tailor your use to what you have available. The whole point of camping 'off site' is to have a bit of peace and tranquillity..not to listen to an infernal combustion engine.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We had a very old 1990 motorhome and when at meets we occasionally used our genny. We didnt have the money for the satellite, the solar power etc etc.

We had one small leisure battery and ran the genny occasionally when we needed to when wild camping.

At funster meets gennys have been used to power entertainment and lighting but always turned off at a reasonable time.

We enjoy the fun and mixing with people but we also enjoy quiet time too.

Inconsiderate - well it doesnt have to be about the genny there are plenty of inconsiderate people about

Arrogant - there are plenty of arrogant people about - but have you thought that in your case it could be ignorance? What would be normal for you with the lifestyle you described would certainly not be normal for me.

Unnecessary - I would disagree that a genny is unnecessary in many cases and especially for people with disabilities and other needs it is an absolute requirement

We have been motorhoming longer than you but still consider ourselves beginners, especially having upgraded our old motorhome its like starting all over again.

Personally I think you have quite a few choices

a) Let the steam come out of your ears, fume away and let it it spoil you day but say nothing then either stay or move on

b) Say oh well never mind and get on with enjoying your day and do nothing

c) Confront those who have offended you

now on this you have two choices - you can go up all aggressive have a go and then either move on or stay and put up with whatever happens next which could include the situation escalating and them running the genny longer.

or you can take a cup of tea etc over and chat to your neighbours and explain how what they are doing affects you in a very polite manner so that they believe you are trying to help and educate. Some wont appreciate but my experience is that we all learn from others experiences and many will appreciate it.

I would hate to do something that regularly annoys another person and not even realise it, but then I live in a busy and noisy area. What I sleep through, would wake and disturb those living in the quiet countryside. To me the noise of the gennys at a meet even when lots are running isnt noise, yet to someone who lives in a solitary house with fields all around could find it very noisy and disturbing.

Hope this is helpful

OP
OP
S

SURWAYA

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
True, but why should anyone have to move on because of an inconsiderate neighbour ?

In three years full time with many many nights without mains power .. (Morocco was good example, four weeks with no EHU ) I only had to run the on board genny once to charge up, and this was on a deserted aire during winter .. no one was within earshot.

My opinion is that if you can't get by without a genny you need to look at what power you are using rather than run a genny and tailor your use to what you have available. The whole point of camping 'off site' is to have a bit of peace and tranquillity..not to listen to an infernal combustion engine.

Thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I understand Larrywins post re American RV heater fans eating batteries, but there is a solution. Fit a Truma heater as I did. No more flat batteries.
With only a little thought and ingenuity all these flat battery problems can be overcome.
Unfortunately it costs money. I must add the sound of gennies running normally does not bother me as am hard of hearing but I dont understand why anyone would prefer to carry a genny and fuel to keep it going when for the same weight but admittedly for extra money you can have an alternative power supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back