Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Just found this on RTL website (Google Translated)
may be helpful

The toll in Portugal easier for tourists and emigrants
RTL - 09.07.2012, 16:11 | Last updated: 09.07.2012, 18:04 | 0 Comment (s)

EASYToll or TOLLCard? The LCD informs us that Portugal has facilitated its toll system for tourists and emigrants.

According to information provided by the Automobile Club of Portugal, the Portuguese electronic toll finally adapts to the hundreds of thousands of foreign vehicles crossing the border every year. Two systems to choose from and are available to tourists and emigrants: the system EASYToll and Toll Card.

Here are descriptions of two forms: EASYToll EASYToll The system is a new solution for automatic payment of electronic tolls in Portugal. It is intended for tourists and emigrants and combines a credit card (Mastercard and Visa) to register the vehicle. The driver, without having to exit the vehicle, introduced in the credit card payment terminal and the system automatically associates the vehicle registration card to the bank. Tolls to pay will be directly debited from the account associated with the card. At the time of accession, valid for 30 days, received a receipt is issued and must be preserved. The driver can always change the registrations or cancel the membership, through the Call Center 707 500 501 (national call) or 00 351 212 879 555 (calls from abroad) or www.portugaltolls.com. Join the "Welcome Point's" located at border crossings, the following locations: EN13 - Vila Nova de Cerveira A24 - Chaves A25 - Vilar Formoso A22 - Vila Real de Santo António Steps: 1. insert your credit card (Mastercard and Visa) 2. keep the ticket 3. bon voyage!

TOLLCard

TOLLCard a product is "a la carte", activated by a SMS with a fixed value to be consumed depending on traffic. This solution allows you to pay in cash or by credit card. It is valid for one year and the balance can be found on the internet. It is designed for tourists and emigrants.

The driver has the opportunity to acquire a card preloaded with 5, 10, 20 or 40 €.

Buy here
after acquiring the card, the driver shall proceed with activation by sending an SMS by mobile phone, with the code printed on the card and vehicle registration (instructions on the card), so that it is associated with the vehicle registration. It is possible to enable multiple maps, with the accumulation of balances.

The driver can check the balance on the card or www.infoportagens.com www.portugaltolls.com and when the card balance is exhausted, the client will receive an SMS alert.

balances enabled will be consumed according to the use of motorways with tolls exclusively electronic.

to Buy the "Welcome Point's" Easy to Toll, on www.portugaltolls.com, in Post Office (CTT) or www.ctt.pt on service areas in Portugal and Spain, in adherent hotel units and tourist offices.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I haven't studied your post properly as my head started to hurt but as far as I understand this doesn't help paying the new SCUT electronic tolls unless you are taking these cards to the post office...

Have I missed something?

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
bigmillie

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I read it as this ??

When you enter a toll motorway for the first time you insert your card Visa etc and enter your reg no

Your card is then debited with the tolls via the electronic gizmos :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• jjj.jpeg
    jjj.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 19

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I was in Portugal end of May early June could'nt pay a toll no matter how hard I tried each post office I visited would'nt or could'nt take my money. Each post office was the same loads of tourists trying very unsuccesfully to pay the tolls in the end I came home without paying and am waiting to see if I get an extortionate bill through the post which I was warned was what would happen. Its a total bloody shambles.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I read it as this ??

When you enter a toll motorway for the first time you insert your card Visa etc and enter your reg no

Your card is then debited with the tolls via the electronic gizmos :thumb:

I strongly suspect that this system is for the manned old type toll motorways and not the new, fully electronically controlled, ones as there are no places on the latter where you can use a card to prepay. With these new toll roads you are meant to go to a Post Office with your registration number and the details of where you entered and exited the motorway and pay there...

As the teens would say...

"Yeah Right."

I just don't use them when in my own vehicles as opposed to the company ones which have the special boxes on the windsreens...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jj. motorway tolls and camp[site fees are the same arent they?
others use them ,why. ?
bet i know how much i shall pay this winter .

Deleted User
hi jj. motorway tolls and camp[site fees are the same arent they?
others use them ,why. ?
bet i know how much i shall pay this winter .

Why ? !!!

Vila Real de Santo Antonio to Lagos, aprox 95 miles. Via A22 toll aprox 1 & half hours comfortable driving. Via N125 3 hours (if your lucky) of bone shaking, congestion and uncountable traffic lights.......thats why ::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I strongly suspect that this system is for the manned old type toll motorways and not the new, fully electronically controlled, ones as there are no places on the latter where you can use a card to prepay. With these new toll roads you are meant to go to a Post Office with your registration number and the details of where you entered and exited the motorway and pay there...

"Yeah Right."

I just don't use them when in my own vehicles as opposed to the company ones which have the special boxes on the windsreens...

From the original post:
The driver can check the balance on the card or www.infoportagens.com www.portugaltolls.com and when the card balance is exhausted, the client will receive an SMS alert.

balances enabled will be consumed according to the use of motorways with tolls exclusively electronic.

Maybe you missed it JJ.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

"Yeah Right."

From the original post:

Maybe you missed it JJ.

Still waiting for the letter from last winters trip. I don't suppose it's going to work, anyway they wrap it up

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi matamoros .we usually are right on the coast or inland .cant say as i have ever had the urge to rush around down there .so many places to stay could take a week as we travel. in fact might take 2 or 3 weeks .you miss out on tavira,pego de inferno,pedro,s del rei, fuseta,faro,quateria,cabo carvoeiro,ferragudo,plus a few in between .you should try slowing it down .call into a tourist office ask for a mapa natural do algarve .lots to see and look out for . theres far more to the algarve than rushing from one place to another.the wild life can be interesting.them from lagos take the coast road from luz calling at all the little coves to boca de rio. lovely track along the coast there. suitable for quite large vehicles if you dont mind a few bumps .
try it have an adventure.:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks Keith... you were right... I missed it... but I think I understand my misunderstanding now... These card thingies are "activated" at the border when you come in... Is this right?

My problem is I am already in Portugal and not going through a border... Do you know where else you can get them?

With my Portuguese plated Hymer I have to go through the procedure I related in the earlier post...

Last edited:

Deleted User
hi matamoros .we usually are right on the coast or inland .cant say as i have ever had the urge to rush around down there .so many places to stay could take a week as we travel. in fact might take 2 or 3 weeks .you miss out on tavira,pego de inferno,pedro,s del rei, fuseta,faro,quateria,cabo carvoeiro,ferragudo,plus a few in between .you should try slowing it down .call into a tourist office ask for a mapa natural do algarve .lots to see and look out for . theres far more to the algarve than rushing from one place to another.the wild life can be interesting.them from lagos take the coast road from luz calling at all the little coves to boca de rio. lovely track along the coast there. suitable for quite large vehicles if you dont mind a few bumps .
try it have an adventure.:thumb:
I appreciate your point, which is fine if you have plenty of time.Over the last fifteen years we have completed several circumnavigations of the Iberian peninsula,slowly & not always in one trip, and we have our favourite places(many on your list).
Nowadays we tend to move from one favourite place to another, sometimes many miles apart, and avoid the places we do not like(the central Algarve in particular). Having spent most of my life driving trucks being sat behind the wheel of a motorhome is not particularly exciting and sometimes I want to get from A to B reasonably quickly and in comfort.
The N125 must be one of the worst roads to drive any distance on that I have used as a main trunk road, especially since the tolls were introduced on the A22.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back