MCC Believe that gas attacks happen (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well they are trying to convince their members they happen. So they can sell them something. I noticed a large advert in their hospitality tent at Shrewsbury that The Motorcaravanners Club "Special Members Offer" selling a Narcotic Gas Attack Alarm to their members for just £95. :Eeek:

Scare Mongering, deterring a predominantly elderly membership of continental travel and ripping off your membership all with one advert. How irresponsible can you get! No wonder that so many people (even learned ones like Bob:winky:) believe this myth.

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Oi...... I'm in the MCC and I don't concider myself 'ELDERLY'.
Not even got my bus pass yet.

Harumppp!

I'm just maturing, like a fine claret.

Peter

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
We had a Gas attack in our Motorhome while in France recently.

I blamed it on the baked beans, two cans of Lager and a bottle of cheap plonk that I'd comsumed earlier.

Despite the drizzle we sat outside until the gas cleared - she wasn't happy!

In the words of Jim Royle "Gas attacks? - My *rse!"

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Oi...... I'm in the MCC and I don't concider myself 'ELDERLY'.
Not even got my bus pass yet.

Harumppp!

I'm just maturing, like a fine claret.

Peter

I did say "predominantly" Peter. Of course you are an obvious exception::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I just reported it

Well they are trying to convince their members they happen. So they can sell them something. I noticed a large advert in their hospitality tent at Shrewsbury that The Motorcaravanners Club "Special Members Offer" selling a Narcotic Gas Attack Alarm to their members for just £95. :Eeek:

Scare Mongering, deterring a predominantly elderly membership of continental travel and ripping off your membership all with one advert. How irresponsible can you get! No wonder that so many people (even learned ones like Bob:winky:) believe this myth.

JIM.. I just reported it.. did not say I believed it.

Bob:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Jim I think it was with light up tyre pressure monitors

Sounds familiar ...

First create a problem then provide a solution... bingo ! you sell loads

Now where have I seen this tactic used before ... ? :winky:

Jim, I think it was about light up tyre pressure monitors... I have seen the 'light'

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim, I think it was about light up tyre pressure monitors...

Bob:Blush:

I don't think that can be the case Bob, I know Jim better than to make such a poor analogy it's lame to see even a weak link between the two things:winky:

I didn't create the need for an easy way to monitor tyre pressure for wheelchair bound funsters like you Smudger and others. The need was real and already there, I did provide a solution.

I did not create the need or situation whereby 60% of people do not check their tyre pressures regularly enough, because its dirty, difficult or they're just too lazy, the situation is real I just provided a solution.

A simple solution to an issue that is real and exists compared to an expensive solution for something that does not:Doh: Bob Apologise to Jim for even suggesting he'd be silly enough to think they are the same:winky:

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
im gonna buy a canary that will detect the gas and its ok for sending to the shops for the papers

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The caravan club magazine (used to?) has adverts for copper bracelets to help with athritis.

If I were a cynical type I would say the sellers target these things at the older generation...

I think items that advertise a medical benefit no matter how shrouded in "mays" "can in some cases" etc should not be allowed to advertise until an independent review has been conducted by proper medical experts...

Same as with anything that scares people into buying stuff without real evidence. Like these narcotic gas detectors.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
The caravan club magazine (used to?) has adverts for copper bracelets to help with athritis.

If I were a cynical type I would say the sellers target these things at the older generation...

I think items that advertise a medical benefit no matter how shrouded in "mays" "can in some cases" etc should not be allowed to advertise until an independent review has been conducted by proper medical experts...

Same as with anything that scares people into buying stuff without real evidence. Like these narcotic gas detectors.

Agreed.

Of course there is plenty of "alternative" medicine that works.

It's called medicine.

Steve :Smile:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I'm just getting over being classed in the group 'predominantly elderly', :Sad:, just nobody mention low bridges in Rouen.

Bristol Balloon Rally is worth the MCC membership fee! :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Having seen peterH's post, I now realise that we've had a good many gas attacks over the years, it used to happen in the caravan; it's happened in every tent we've ever owned and it still happens in the M/H.

It's OK though, everyone else is safe - because they live round here, the scroats that do this. I know that because they often strike at our house too. I've reported them to the police because they are obviously stalking me; but they haven't caught em yet .....

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think you mis quote me JIM

I don't think that can be the case Bob, I know Jim better than to make such a poor analogy it's lame to see even a weak link between the two things:winky:

I didn't create the need for an easy way to monitor tyre pressure for wheelchair bound funsters like you Smudger and others. The need was real and already there, I did provide a solution.

I did not create the need or situation whereby 60% of people do not check their tyre pressures regularly enough, because its dirty, difficult or they're just too lazy, the situation is real I just provided a solution.

A simple solution to an issue that is real and exists compared to an expensive solution for something that does not:Doh: Bob Apologise to Jim for even suggesting he'd be silly enough to think they are the same:winky:

I think you mis quote me JIM... a bit like saying I believed in gas attacks.. never said that in any post...

Jim (as in the other Jim) was talking about making people think there is a need for an item and people will buy it.. that is how all business works JIM.. even yours for the lights... if you point out as you have the safety issues then you are in a way creating a market... nothing wrong with that.. in fact if you quoted me correctly I did say I saw the light.... which I did when I lost a tyre in France recently.... I am sure Jim is not up set by the fact I bounced of his post which was fairly open.. it did not show him in a bad light in my opinion .. but if I have up set him and I do not accept I have then I say sorry to Jim... but you do need to remember like wise JIM what is good for the goose is good for the gander...

I pointed out you mis-quoted me, but you ignored that.:Blush: I have never said I believed in gas attacks..:Sad: I just reported what i was told. :Sad: .. case of shot the messenger. But you are holding me to account when I draw a light (no pun intended) to you creating a market place for your light up tyre pressure monitors ... Can I say not really suitable for power wheelchairs as they tend to have very very low air pressures in the tyres to allow for them to grip... even my scooter has only 9 psi and the power chair even less.. but then if I use green tyres I also carry... and I do not know what Smudger uses .. these are solid and would not have a valve to allow the unit connected to it. So it is a bit misleading JIM re power wheelchairs. I hope that is not taken out of context JIM.

But I see a business man protecting his market. ... which I would do the same... but lastly ... I do not believe in gas attacks .. there said it again.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think you mis quote me JIM...

Bob,you've completely misunderstood my post, I was not talking about wheelchair tyre pressure monitoring, I said it makes it easier for wheelchair users to check tyres. Anyway the post was really addressing ScotJim even though I was replying to you, it was subtle Bob, maybe too subtle, but read it again and you'll see, Jim did. No worries::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can I say not really suitable for power wheelchairs as they tend to have very very low air pressures in the tyres to allow for them to grip... even my scooter has only 9 psi and the power chair even less.. but then if I use green tyres I also carry... and I do not know what Smudger uses .. these are solid and would not have a valve to allow the unit connected to it. So it is a bit misleading JIM re power wheelchairs. I hope that is not taken out of context JIM.

I think Jim meant that chair users would find it useful as they may not be able to get down to the vehicle tyres to use a manual tyre pressure monitor. I can see the led ones would be handy in that situation as you just need to scoot round the van looking for one that is switched on rather than fiddling with the valve.

Sorry if I misspoke..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
No problems Jim

Bob,you've completely misunderstood my post, I was not talking about wheelchair tyre pressure monitoring, I said it makes it easier for wheelchair users to check tyres. Anyway the post was really addressing ScotJim even though I was replying to you, it was subtle Bob, maybe too subtle, but read it again and you'll see, Jim did. No worries::bigsmile:

No problems JIM or Jim... yes they do work.. see a plug... I took them off my big trailer when I sold it and put them on my baby red one... only needed 3 ... now the trailer was in the garage for the best part of a year.. So I pumped the tyres up and fitted the sensors.. I must have caught the valve and while I was adapting the frame to take Sue's scooter I saw the 'light' a little red light flashing.. air was escaping from the vale seat.. sorted it and put more air on and the sensor.. and this time I did not see the 'light' as in this post (train).. another story.

But I purchased them because of your excellent sales pitch.... and yes I am happy with them. .. boy even a plug....

Bob:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well sod you lot, I'm off to join them right now and buy one.

I've witnessed first hand too many gas attacks over my time. In fact I was speaking to a lorry driver I know, he said, that one of the lads in his work place, has an auntie called Sheila. Sheila's mate Hilary has a bailey caravan and goes on caravan rallies with the boc. Whilst at a rally last week, Hilary told Sheila about her mate Dave whom has been travelling to France for years. Last year, he met a bloke called peter who told him that when he was on a site in the south of France when he spoke with this coupe that told them the following story.

There they were on the toll road when they suffered a blow out. They just managed to pull in to an aire and thought having driven for the past 26 hours without a break they would open up a nice bottle of red and fix it in the morning. Now when they awoke some 15 hours later they had been robbed, there heads felt drowsy and they found a tin of empty gas in the hedge. It was the sort used on those cooking stoves. Obviously it was evident they had been robbed by gas.

So there you go a first hand account not to be argued with. If you don't buy a set of tyre pressure monitors your in big trouble :thumb:

phil bobin

Free Member
Jun 26, 2011
essex ukuk
Funster No
MH
aclass
Exp
2010 1.5
We had a Gas attack in our Motorhome while in France recently.

I blamed it on the baked beans, two cans of Lager and a bottle of cheap plonk that I'd comsumed earlier.

Despite the drizzle we sat outside until the gas cleared - she wasn't happy!

In the words of Jim Royle "Gas attacks? - My *rse!"

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... just nobody mention low bridges in Rouen.

I'm not mentioning it ... but why:RollEyes: am I not supposed to mention it ....!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi grommet .wheel chair users dont have a problem getting down to check their tyre pressures .
its getting back up thats the problem. ha ha .
if you cant see the problem you will never find a solution .
the other solution is get someone else to check them.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
does that mean for a change we get something more

hi grommet .wheel chair users dont have a problem getting down to check their tyre pressures .
its getting back up thats the problem. ha ha .
if you cant see the problem you will never find a solution .
the other solution is get someone else to check them.

Alan, does that mean 'us' in wheelchairs get something others do not... in as an advantage in that we do not have to bend down? Funny when the recovery turned out in France to change the tyre he could see the 'light' and we had a discussion about them.. and he did not bend down or was in a wheelchair:Blush:

I have never seen Sue use a wheelchair when she does the walk arounds at various parts of our trips to check security of trailer and check the tyres etc., A bit of a red herring being thrown in to the post I suspect:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can 100% say they do not work on wheelchair tyres... I tried... work fine on the RV and the the two [STRIKE][/STRIKE] one trailers I have.

But as stated I just reported from the person that claims it happened to them.. not third or forth handed.. but that is all it was a report and no I do not believe in it.. I often sleep longer and better in the RV.. fresh air and perhaps longer drives may cause me to sleep better. The only gas in the RV is Ezzie.. and that can be bad.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:thumb:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
The following drivel is from a firm's advert trying to sell Narcotic Gas Alarms to mugs -

We stock a range of gas attack alarms for motorhomes.
We have all heard the rumours of thieves using narcotic gases and gas attacks on motorhomes at autoroute service stations.

Rumours, rumours - that's all it is!

Now I blame the rumour mongering people like the Lorry driver, the lad at work, Shiela, Hilary, Dave, Peter and a tired drunk couple who are all mentioned in the heart rendering story recounted by 'haganap' of an obvious gas attack in France.

It's folk like them give the lie to the rumour and give money grabbing firms the chance to boost their profits by trying to scare the sh*t out of honest upright citizens like you and me.

Be revolting folks - refuse to buy the product and save your money for essentials such as a few cases of beer or bottles of Brandy/Whisky/Gin/etc.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Be revolting folks - refuse to buy the product and save your money for essentials such as a few cases of beer or bottles of Brandy/Whisky/Gin/etc.

Quite right, If we brought booze instead, there would be no need for any gassing to occur, we could be that wasted we could be broken in to without issue, hec we might even leave the doors open :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back