Electric bikes in France - Rules + Regs? (1 Viewer)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As Joyce is becoming older and more decrepit she felt the need for an electrically assisted bike, so being the generous soul that I am I agreed and bought her one at Stratford recently.:winky:

Although I am a super fit athlete, I didn't want her to feel different so I also bought one for myself.:Cool:

We shall be taking these bikes to France shortly and just wondered if there are any special rules and regulations as to their use over there such as compulsary insurance, helmets, hi-vis, L plates or even breathalisers.

Brian

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no idea

I cannot help you with advices on bikes.. but we did get some funny looks with the disability scooters in some areas of France we have been to. Local police have stood and looked at us, but they did not say anything, just gave us a good once over .... mind you did not see many when we have been out and about... seen a lot more in the North.

The bikes we have come in to contact on the 'Green Route' (Runs from London to Paris via Dieppe and down through Neufchatel -en- Bray (very friendly route to bikes, wheelchairs etc.,) seemed all to be pedal driven, did not see any battery operated.. but we did see other Brits on our sites with electric and also Dutch.

Bob

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We used our electric bikes in france a lot, with our helmets on the road and we received a lot of glances and questions admiring them but we were never pulled up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
As Joyce is becoming older and more decrepit she felt the need for an electrically assisted bike, so being the generous soul that I am I agreed and bought her one at Stratford recently.:winky:

Although I am a super fit athlete, I didn't want her to feel different so I also bought one for myself.:Cool:

We shall be taking these bikes to France shortly and just wondered if there are any special rules and regulations as to their use over there such as compulsary insurance, helmets, hi-vis, L plates or even breathalisers.

Brian

Just come back from France used my lecci bike quite a bit, I read somewhere you have to have a bell...........Del

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We intend to take our electric bikes to France soon but will attach the LHD conversion and light stickers.
We also carry hi vis striped jackets, berets , breathalysers, and a string of onions

:france::france::france:::bigsmile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Electric bikes here are restricted to 15mph on electric only [nothing to stop you pedalling faster of course...] Rest of EU is allowed to be marginally higher I think, but in all cases they are treated as pedal cycles rather than powered two wheelers and so the rules of the country you are in relating to pedal cycles apply. But if you feel like getting breathalysers, hi viz, warning triangles, beam adjusters, GB stickers and the rest, go for it!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have cycled many miles in France with our electric assist bikes, we do wear our helmets, never had any problems. Don't forget your warning sign to put on your bikes when they are on the rack. If you get the chance do try Ile-de-rae with your bikes, unbeatable IMHO. Enjoy.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have cycled many miles in France with our electric assist bikes, we do wear our helmets, never had any problems. Don't forget your warning sign to put on your bikes when they are on the rack. If you get the chance do try Ile-de-rae with your bikes, unbeatable IMHO. Enjoy.

Thanks Carol, I tried to find Ile-de-rae on Google maps but it comes up with various options. Could you please let me know which area you are refering to.
Brian

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant see why there should be any special regs.....just the normal rules of the road.

after all, its legal for kids of 14 to ride mopeds, which i believe are classed as bicycles over there.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just come back from France used my lecci bike quite a bit, I read somewhere you have to have a bell...........Del
just like the UK then.....

all road going vehicles must have an audible warning device.......when did you last see a bell on a mountain/bmx bike :Eeek:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thanks Carol, I tried to find Ile-de-rae on Google maps but it comes up with various options. Could you please let me know which area you are refering to.
Brian

Just off La Rochelle the bridge takes you to Ile-de-rae, think its about16 euros to go across, so worth staying a few days or a week, but so much to do, we always use La Ocean a Camping Cheque site which is right in the center of the Island so you can cycle either way, St Martins and La Flotte are a couple of our favorites, on the search thingy there is quite a bit of info about it.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Just off La Rochelle the bridge takes you to Ile-de-rae, think its about16 euros to go across, so worth staying a few days or a week, but so much to do, we always use La Ocean a Camping Cheque site which is right in the center of the Island so you can cycle either way, St Martins and La Flotte are a couple of our favorites, on the search thingy there is quite a bit of info about it.

:thumb:Thanks Carol, we shall be around that area so will try to fit in a visit. Brian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Funny the number of old threads coming up.
Just in case there are rules now concerning the electric bikes!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:
It's because of the links to similar threads at the bottom of the thread people don't look at the date on then before replying.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I thought the comment about e-bikes being something unusual was a bit surprising until I realised that the thread was ten years old!
Took mine to Holland and it was fab. The only factor there to bear in mind is that flashing lights on bikes are illegal in the NL, so make sure they’re set to continuous. It’s also a legal requirement to have full circle reflectors on both tyres or wheel rims, and reflectors on the pedals.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We intend to take our electric bikes to France soon but will attach the LHD conversion and light stickers.
We also carry hi vis striped jackets, berets , breathalysers, and a string of onions

:france::france::france:::bigsmile:
I've got an electric cargo bike, will I need angle morts stickers?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Another weird first post too, what's that all about?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back