What to say to French vet re worm treatment. (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Returning home next Monday after a not too grea first French trip and not just the poor weather.

Last hurdle is to try and get booked in to see a vet this Thursday when we leave our nice municipal site just South of La Rochelle.

I have reached the point of getting the nice lady in reception to ring a vet for me just after 12 today but they were closed, she suggested I return at 2pm (I think).

Assuming I can get a appointment and assuming to be on the safe side that the vet has no idea about the pet passport requirements, what is a simple way to explain to him/her? I will the use the translator on the iPad to give me th French version.

Thanks

Steve

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Carefully word your English making sure you mention what size dog, and it's for his animal passport so you can go home to England on the boat on (whatever day).

Pass the lady at reception the i-Pad and ask her to speak to the vet and convey that message? Trouble with doing the translation bit is, when you say that to the person the other end of the phone they think you at least understand the language even if your accent is awful, so they answer in the applicable tongue and then you're stuffed!

Or if the vet is relatively near, you could go in there - with the dog and his passport - and have a go yourself? You know, with the dog you can do a mime of what you need doing (I dunno what that is exactly LOL)

My sister did that somewhere exceedigly rural in Greece once when they'd run out of film in the camera. Seeing a shop with a Kodak sign, off she goes with the camera. Little old lady, in black head to toe. Gill shows her the camera and the emptiness thereof and makes the movement of inserting and winding on a new film. The lady looks at her, smiles and says, 'Would you like monochrome or colour?' Colour please. 'And did you want 24 exposures or 36?'

Ever felt silly? :roflmto:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
repatriation is the term that the vet we use seems to understand

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its much easier to pre-book the appointment when you first arrive in France.
I normally use the same vet and when I first arrive I just show the receptionists my return ferry printout and they work out the date and time.
This then gives me a firm time to be at the vets on a certain date :RollEyes:

The French are usually much better at English than we are at French, much to our shame.
However I have never yet not been able to get my meaning across.

Well, only once! We came across a small farmers' market in deepest rural France and I wanted some local honey. The guy on the stall blinked a couple of times and with a flourish produced from the back of his van a live wriggling trout. :whatthe:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks, is it tapeworm treatment he has to have? If it is, the translator app comes up with the word 'tenia'.

Steve

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We pay our French vet €20 for our St Bernard 80kgs +

We use our vet in Amiens... as do a lot of other funsters... since the requirement changed this year the cost has been reduced to €20 .. at another vet we enquired it was €60 .. due to the number of tablets.... our vet said rubbish as he gives an injection.

Frankie.. our we frogie calls the vet for us as the staff do not speak English.. but the vets do.

We arrived 2 hours early and they still got us fitted in..

You can get ripped off if not careful.

I know of people like the Welshbois with there 2 Bassett hounds and the Griffs that use the same vet.. we got them from recommendation and they are use to the English these days.

Amiens has a camp site less that 4 kms from the office.. and yes with care you can get a motor home in the car park... or I park my RV in the Lidl car park 100 years further down the road.

Bob

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Returning home next Monday after a not too grea first French trip and not just the poor weather.

Last hurdle is to try and get booked in to see a vet this Thursday when we leave our nice municipal site just South of La Rochelle.

I have reached the point of getting the nice lady in reception to ring a vet for me just after 12 today but they were closed, she suggested I return at 2pm (I think).

Assuming I can get a appointment and assuming to be on the safe side that the vet has no idea about the pet passport requirements, what is a simple way to explain to him/her? I will the use the translator on the iPad to give me th French version.

If you are coming back via Rouen there is an excellent English speaking vet at Forges les Eaux (good Aire too). If you want details let me know.

Mike
Thanks

Steve

If you are coming back via Rouen there is an excellent English speaking vet at Forges les Eaux (good Aire too). If you want details let me know.

Mike

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
We use our vet in Amiens... as do a lot of other funsters... since the requirement changed this year the cost has been reduced to €20 .. at another vet we enquired it was €60 .. due to the number of tablets.... our vet said rubbish as he gives an injection.

Frankie.. our we frogie calls the vet for us as the staff do not speak English.. but the vets do.

We arrived 2 hours early and they still got us fitted in..

You can get ripped off if not careful.

I know of people like the Welshbois with there 2 Bassett hounds and the Griffs that use the same vet.. we got them from recommendation and they are use to the English these days.

Amiens has a camp site less that 4 kms from the office.. and yes with care you can get a motor home in the car park... or I park my RV in the Lidl car park 100 years further down the road.

Bob
hi could u tell me the name of the vet in amiens sounds very reasonable compared to some of the others i have used the last was in brugge 2 weeks ago 40 euro for 50kg rottie which i thought was no bad compared to Calais quoted 80 euro

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The vet details are

hi could u tell me the name of the vet in amiens sounds very reasonable compared to some of the others i have used the last was in brugge 2 weeks ago 40 euro for 50kg rottie which i thought was no bad compared to Calais quoted 80 euro

The vet details are:

Vet Bove
Dr Philippe Bove or Dr Didler

328 Rue Du Fraubourg De Hem
Amiens 80000

tel 0333 2266 2899
fax 0333 2266 2890

email cabinet.bove@orange.fr

sat details:

N 49 54' 15. 93"

E 2 16' 24. 67"

Hope that helps.

Bob

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Carefully word your English making sure you mention what size dog, and it's for his animal passport so you can go home to England on the boat on (whatever day).

Pass the lady at reception the i-Pad and ask her to speak to the vet and convey that message? Trouble with doing the translation bit is, when you say that to the person the other end of the phone they think you at least understand the language even if your accent is awful, so they answer in the applicable tongue and then you're stuffed!

Or if the vet is relatively near, you could go in there - with the dog and his passport - and have a go yourself? You know, with the dog you can do a mime of what you need doing (I dunno what that is exactly LOL)

My sister did that somewhere exceedigly rural in Greece once when they'd run out of film in the camera. Seeing a shop with a Kodak sign, off she goes with the camera. Little old lady, in black head to toe. Gill shows her the camera and the emptiness thereof and makes the movement of inserting and winding on a new film. The lady looks at her, smiles and says, 'Would you like monochrome or colour?' Colour please. 'And did you want 24 exposures or 36?'

Ever felt silly? :roflmto:

Sorry Jenny did not go through all your message as I am a bit of a hurry right now , but if you (or Encatador) could just give me the english version of what the vet has to be asked ... I 'll be the translator ... no problem! As I had a dog (not like the little device which gives some sort of translation) I will choose the exact words, will write them down on here , and everybody can copy them, and problem solved for all the funsters (I can even add in brackets the cat version:winky:) ! At least if the vet talks English , then ..;simple ... If not , just show the paper with the translation on it, and you don't have to mime anything:thumb:::bigsmile: What about this ????

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks Frankie, the best I have is what Chas17 says above, I assume that saying that and sticking the passport under his nose would be enough.

I used the translator and the girl in the office at the site made the appointment we now have locally for Thursday afternoon, later than we wanted but that's the best we could get. How much of the info I gave the girl about what I needed she passed on to the vets I have no idea till I get there.

So we have to leave the site by 12 and be at vets 5 miles away at 3.30pm, will probably ask if we can stay here a while longer, not too busy so should be ok.

Don't know the cost till it's too late either.

Need a better plan for next time.

As I said said st the start, it's no been a great holiday, I have been in as many hospitals as camp sites, just need the vets sorted so the last few days are more straightforward.

Thanks again for the replies.

Steve

Last edited:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
I may have got the wrong slant on this thread, please put me right if I'm wrong, but just saying "Pet Passport, s'il vous plait" to the Vet should be sufficient.

If the Vet hasn't a clue what you're talking about then exit stage left pdq - and find another Vet.

Every Vet in France should be aware of the new Pet Passport regulations and if they don't then avoid them.

Ps - the Vet in Etaples two weeks ago charged us €34 for the tablet covered in chocolate, a very thorough examination and the dog's passport stamped and dated correctly.
No appointment and all over in about five minutes.

Please let us know what you are charged.

:france::france::france:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I may have got the wrong slant on this thread, please put me right if I'm wrong, but just saying "Pet Passport, s'il vous plait" to the Vet should be sufficient.

[HI]If the Vet hasn't a clue what you're talking about then exit stage left pdq - and find another Vet.[/HI]

Every Vet in France should be aware of the new Pet Passport regulations and if they don't then avoid them.

Ps - the Vet in Etaples two weeks ago charged us €34 for the tablet covered in chocolate, a very thorough examination and the dog's passport stamped and dated correctly.

My advice would be to simply show the vet the pet passport and the life size picture of your dog vaulting sheep and he'll see that he/she is in fine fettle and do it for half price.......... :roflmto:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Popeye - My advice would be to simply show the vet the pet passport and the life size picture of your dog vaulting sheep and he'll see that he/she is in fine fettle and do it for half price..........

The Vet in Etaples did a thorough examination and held his stethoscope for a long time on either side of our dogs chest.

My wife looked at me and I looked at her as we suddenly had the thought that the Vet had found a problem.

Then the Vet said "He runs? Fast?"

"Yes" we said "A lot"

"Good" he said smiling "Sportif"

We think he meant fit as a fiddle.

But he still charged full price!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Ezzie gets a full MOT

Ezzie gets a full MOT for the €20 .... as she is having trouble with her ears and an eyelid, we take the medication from our vet in the UK in to the surgery ... the vet then has a look and then we get the passport stamped and signed (now two places, were as before it was in three places)... all done in about 10 minutes...

First time we went the vet had his back to us and said put the dog on the table... then he turned around to find a small pony size dog.. so he always knows who we are from seeing her the first time... now a regular with him... even travelled across from the camp site we were on in Neufchatel to Amiens.. as we trust him and know it is great value for money.

Bob

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We always just find a vet in whichever town we want, take Ellie with her passport and have always had the job done and been out again within 20 minutes. We look for Clinique Veterinaire as we drive along. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005

If the Vet hasn't a clue what you're talking about then exit stage left pdq - and find another Vet.

Just take care to enunciate clearly as 'pet' in French means fart... :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Sorry forgot to update this, weight checked and chewable tablet given 10.60EU.

Steve

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just take care to enunciate clearly as 'pet' in French means fart... :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Whatever the pronunciation ..... as if said like this "pé" it's the noun , and if said "pète" it's the verb .... !!!!! so you can't avoid the smile on their face LOL .... I try to forget obout "bit" and "God" for what they mean in french but believe me it's hard .... and not only .... a "bit":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (naughty .... ohooo naughty girl :Blush::Blush:)

Frankie (can't stop laughing now):roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back