Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Our van is due its MOT and last year we had it serviced at the same time. We've done 6k this year and its been in the garage to have a new clutch and a check over during the year.
We're trying to decide whether to have it serviced while it's in for MOT or wait until the winter when it will have done quite a few more miles. We're off to France at the end of August for a 6 week trip.
What would you do?
It's on a Fiat 2.3 td
Thanks
Mags

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
double check the service book as some manufacturers state 24months

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When MOT is due I put van in for a service and tell them it must come back with new MOT-sorted for another yr then-hopefully.

Mike.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Our van is due its MOT and last year we had it serviced at the same time. We've done 6k this year and its been in the garage to have a new clutch and a check over during the year.
We're trying to decide whether to have it serviced while it's in for MOT or wait until the winter when it will have done quite a few more miles. We're off to France at the end of August for a 6 week trip.
What would you do?
It's on a Fiat 2.3 td
Thanks
Mags

My new Fiat and the Fiat before (same model/engine Fiat 130 - 2.3 multijet) Using genuine FIAT parts and oil stated in the service book...service every two Years or 45,000km...My French Fiat garage says every 12 months...But many will say one of the most important items on a diesel is oil and filter and they would recommend every 6 months:Doh:

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
double check the service book as some manufacturers state 24months

My 140bhp Transit service intervals state 24 months but have always had it done at 12 months and have also changed oil/filters at 6 months in the past Gray. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have it serviced Mags, the mot in itself is nothing more than a basic visual inspection and no guarantee of its condition for a 6 week tour
Repairs even basic things like brakes/tyres etc cost a small fortune in France
Not forgetting the all important cam belt check or replacement if due
Geo

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks all. I hadn't thought about the cost of repairs in France.:Doh: Will indeed get it serviced. Will they know if the cam belt is due for change or do I need to prompt them? They are a new to us garage (with a very good reputation).

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks all. I hadn't thought about the cost of repairs in France.:Doh: Will indeed get it serviced. Will they know if the cam belt is due for change or do I need to prompt them? They are a new to us garage (with a very good reputation).

Depending on year of Manf Fiat will be recommending a cam belt and pulley change every 4 or 5 years, it should be indicated in your service history if its been done, if not assume it hasn't and get it done, the cost of a belt failure is horrific even here, in France I think i'd abandon the van:ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Just to update: Got service, MOT and cam belt done today. Thanks to Geo I knew to ask about the cam belt and they came back to me with the every 4 years advice. It's a 2007 van and there is no record of it being done before. All now well with the van and we can look forward to 6 weeks in France hopefully trouble free.
Thanks again Geo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back