Swift. Any good? Any other suggestions? (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We've been debating changing to a caravan but love motorhomes. We have seen a layout that we think would work and give us the space and layout benefits of a caravan in motorhome. It's a swift suntor 630l. It has a decent size over cab bed, 4rear seatbelts in a dinette area, with a lounge at the rear which is long enough to keep as two single beds.
We've been advised by a couple of people to stay away from the swift group.
Any advice?
Are there any other vans with this layout that people would recommend?
Thanks
:thumb:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thats a bit unfair, they cannot all have been made on a friday afternoon and be ready to fall to bits by monday could they?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No, by the Saturday morning from what I've been told! :ROFLMAO:
I know that there must be lots of happy swift customers out there...............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think as long as you get it checked properly before buying it you will be fine.

But do get it checked properly so that you know if you are buying any problems.

There are thousands of Swift group Motorhomes on the road and common sense says they must be doing something right.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Just purchased my third Swift van. My previous two vans served me well. Yes there were niggles, but theses were minor and quickly sorted.

There are problems with all vans if truth be told. The Swift Group sell a lot of product and have many happy customers.

I suggest with any purchase go over it with a fine tooth comb. Do your research.

Good luck.

Trevor

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We love our 630L. Great spacious layout. There was a problem (well documented on all forums) with the laminated plywood used on the floor construction for a couple of years, pre 2006 I think. Mine went back to the Swift factory for repair and now it is fine.Good luck with your search.:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Buy from the right dealer and you will be fine, I have never heard of any Swift owners complaining about Johns Cross motor homes.

We loved our Bolero and now our Bessacarr :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Plus, are we talking a van in warranty or out of warranty (I'm not good on models) - cos have to say Swift were brill with our warranty claim.

No warranty claims should ever happen of course! But whilst things are built with human input and there's water in the sea, then things will go awry from time to time. And that was what our prob was down to.

They sorted it - swiftly! - once we'd had 2 holidays in it that is, cos it didn't spoil the holidays and we weren't gonna let them have it till there was 'a window in OUR calendar!' :ROFLMAO: 100% fine.

Never had to argue, beg, plead, shout or swear. Most excellent result from our dealer and Swift. :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Paul
We had a Swift Bessacarr no probs at all during the 3 years we had it, well made and good quality fittings, we changed it for a fixed bed 3 years ago and prefer this layout but there are only 2 of us.

Caravans friends of ours bought a new Bailey that needed a new floor within the first year, others we met in Spain this year had problems with the electrics for heating and cooking in there new Bailey, so had to buy new fridge microwave and heater to me do til tey got home, has others have said check what you buy.
Pete

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Swift Motorhomes

More than happy with our Bolero 600EK, small enough not to be cumbersome, but plenty of space for the 2 of us, one small problem with a side window seal, fully rectified by Simpsons of Gt Yarmouth, a couple of weeks in Cornwall will hopefully be drama free, (weather permitting).:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
We had a Swift group caravan before building the motorhome, to be honest if you want to avoid Swift products in this country you will struggle but with the Ace Supreme Twinstar we had nothing but problems, 4 or 5 lots of floor delamination,leaks into roof had to go back to factory for re sealing etc, work tops near sink replaced 4 times as they kept splitting apart, Thetford fridge freezer replaced once due to not cooling, then dealer never did get the interior light to work and it went through 6 240v elements in the 5 years we had it, and this is just a sample of the faults we encountered. I would say If you buy anything that is mass produced like these caravans/motorhomes you are bound to get problems, what helps is if the dealer and company treat the customer right and get things sorted or replced quickly, in my case the experiance I had put me off for good which is why I built my own.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for all the replies. It's an early 2006 model we'd been looking at. We'd be buying from a dealer we trust but any warranty only lasts a year and sodon't want to encounter problems beyond this if we can avoid it. Although I know hat even the best mad most reliable things can still breakdown.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
You say a dealer you can trust, why not name the dealer and see if you get any bad reports about them?

It will be an insurance warranty probably on that year van, you need to check if the warranty is any good

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have 2010 630L and are very happy with it. As long as it has a full check including damp as you would expect with any motorhome.

Other vans with a similar layout are the Autotrail Apache 700 and the Eldiis 180. Good luck with what ever you decide.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We've had two Swift kontiki's and only one slight leak in the kitchen window.

1/2hr to remove, clean and reseal the frame.

well built in my opinion :thumb:

Deleted User
We've been debating changing to a caravan but love motorhomes. We have seen a layout that we think would work and give us the space and layout benefits of a caravan in motorhome. It's a swift suntor 630l. It has a decent size over cab bed, 4rear seatbelts in a dinette area, with a lounge at the rear which is long enough to keep as two single beds.
We've been advised by a couple of people to stay away from the swift group.
Any advice?
Are there any other vans with this layout that people would recommend?
Thanks
:thumb:
Our first motorhome was a 630l 2005 model. We had a little bit of damp problem in the rear but Swift sorted it out promptley under warranty. My main gripe was that the wiring and circuit breakers were not man enough for the job. We could,nt have the heater and boiler on together, or the boiler electric hob together it was always tripping out. Also the rear overhang is enormous, it swings round like a pendulem, I had 2 new rear corner fittings in the 2 years we owned it. would I buy another Swift? it would probably be a fair way down my list.

spongy

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Our first motorhome was a 630l 2005 model. We had a little bit of damp problem in the rear but Swift sorted it out promptley under warranty. My main gripe was that the wiring and circuit breakers were not man enough for the job. We could,nt have the heater and boiler on together, or the boiler electric hob together it was always tripping out. Also the rear overhang is enormous, it swings round like a pendulem, I had 2 new rear corner fittings in the 2 years we owned it. would I buy another Swift? it would probably be a fair way down my list.

spongy

Electric problems are certainly not a problem on my van. Maybe the electrics where upgraded as part of the refresh, but saying that our 2008 Swift (590RS) never had any electrical issues either. :thumb:

Can't comment on your driving. :winky: :roflmto:

Nov 26, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
23 years
swift

dont do it i purchased a new mondial last year and it is going in to have a new toilet,kitchen,and 34 outher faults fixed swift dont want to know.be very careful........

wolly

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
ripon n yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 plus motorhoming and tugin
swift

i bought a new 630l in 2003 bigest heap of rubbish you can own.every thing wrong with it.to many things to list.even the fiat drive train gearbox went at 1099miles.as the badge reads fix it again tomorrow.my daughter bought one in 2008.i told her it was a misstake and it was rear floor fell through it was soaking weat through.but swift did put a new floor in it took about 3 months and alot of agro.my advise is stay well clear.but it is like any thing if it is good to you you dont knock it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We love our 630L. Great spacious layout. There was a problem (well documented on all forums) with the laminated plywood used on the floor construction for a couple of years, pre 2006 I think. Mine went back to the Swift factory for repair and now it is fine.Good luck with your search.:thumb:

spongy
Hi Paul you are bang on the yr Swift along with other makers had the problems with soggy floors :Eeek::Eeek: 2005 /6 Check around floor edges and step :thumb:Swift did a good PR JOB PROMISING TO FIX PROBS AS AND WHEN THEY PRESENTED:thumb: .now IN RECENT MTHS A COUPLE HAVE COME TO LIGHT AND THEY ARE RENEGING ON THE PROMISE
terry

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Well I love mine. It is a Kontiki 640L

Comes with a huge rear lounge, which can either be a super kingsize bed. Or two good size single beds. Very versatile.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back