Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
3 years
My only parking is below trees and I have just spent 3 hours trying to clean sticky residue off the roof and sides. I have used Fenwicks caravan cleaner, Black mark remover, even tried engine cleaner and a foam pan scourer but still some marks remain. SO, anyone any idea's? Best cleaning products/techniques or any idea's as to how I could cover the roof to keep it clean? (bearing in mind that we do use it reqularly inc. days out)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Always worth a try in a small area to test with sticky stuff is wd40 then polish well after

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We used dry wash on ours and it took off even the stuborn resin from pine needles.

Kath & Howie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
caravan roof cover

Maypole ltd have just launched a range of caravan roof covers, as opposed to full caravan covers, although designed for caravans, you should be able to find a size which would cover the Motorhome roof perfectly,
Neil at The Caravan Shop Glasgow or Wilma at Knowepark Caravan and Motorhomes should be able to sort you out, both do mail order. :thumb:

My only parking is below trees and I have just spent 3 hours trying to clean sticky residue off the roof and sides. I have used Fenwicks caravan cleaner, Black mark remover, even tried engine cleaner and a foam pan scourer but still some marks remain. SO, anyone any idea's? Best cleaning products/techniques or any idea's as to how I could cover the roof to keep it clean? (bearing in mind that we do use it reqularly inc. days out)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
white spirit on a rag will shift pine resin, but you need to wash with soap after then polish. Once clean coat it with a resin polish like MER and any future deposits should wash off with warm soapy water. I tend to polish my van with MER in spring and autumn and just rinse off any dirt in between with water and a brush. Dirt doesnt stick so well to a sealed and polished surface

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Muck off from bike/motorcycle shops its pink made from veg extract :thumb:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
our van is parked under a large sycamore tree and suffers from tree sap on the roof ,we tried fenwicks motorhome cleaner and it was ok but i now use turtle wax pressure washer detergent in a bucket neat ,brush on leave a couple of minuets and then brush and rince, its blue in colour and very soapy and cost about £4.99 a gallon

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My son in law had a white van once, and grubby was it. Sap, streaks, unloved, unpolished.
So, i put some Jizer in a spray bottle, got my wash and wax ready, and started.
I sprayed a panel lightly with Jizer, then washed it off with the soapy water, and the results were amazing, all clean and white, and ready for polishing.
I have done this on my RV with real stubborn marks and it works fine.

Craig

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My van gets fall out from a lime tree!
With reference to the roof, I just wash as normal, this wont remove all the sap stains. Come the winter natural bio-degradation occurs and it all disappears :Smile:.
I've had the van parked in the same place over five years and my car gets an even worse covering of sap and it hasn't done any permanent damage.

Remember a coating of dirt is an extra layer of protection! :roflmto:

OP
OP
R

ravman

Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
3 years
Re Cleaning

Thanks to all who replied. Great response. Lots of good advice and should keep me busy trying em out.
thanks again and look out for the nice shiny Ravenna if in Scotland next week. (it's the one with the floatation bags strapped to side)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I use G101 from Link Removed people and have yet to find something it won't clean, needs to be diluted so read the instructions carefully, I usualy foam it on the van with my Karcher then brush, rinse and wax and my roof is spotless:thumb:

Nice van by the way:winky:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
See this thread...
Broken Link Removed

I have ended up with two spare mitts so anyone interested, shout !! :thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I use G101 from Link Removed people and have yet to find something it won't clean, needs to be diluted so read the instructions carefully, I usualy foam it on the van with my Karcher then brush, rinse and wax and my roof is spotless:thumb:

I thoroughly endorse G101, very economical to use due to the high dilution rate, it cleans just about everything, it's marvellous on everything from glass shower screens to dirty engine bays:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
See this thread...
Broken Link Removed

I have ended up with two spare mitts so anyone interested, shout !! :thumb:

Is this loud enough?

I'd like one if not too late. We are due to go to Malvern on the Saturday, if that's practical.

Wyn

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hiya Wyn
sorry mate.. We are off on hols on Wednesday next so cannot do the show :cry:

I can post it out ? Can you do PayPal ?

PM me and we will get it sorted :thumb:

So just the one left now folks !

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

I bought some of this from Ebay following the enthusiasm of some fun folks.

Arrived today so I had to get out and give it a go. WOW powerful stuff diluted it 6-1 and did my car with a mini hand spayer then sponged it all over and rinsed off........came up lovely.

Bought 5 litres so should last for ages.

barry

barry

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hiya Wyn

Holidays, holidays, you've only just got back from your holidays!! ha ha ha

S

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I bought some of this from Ebay following the enthusiasm of some fun folks.

Arrived today so I had to get out and give it a go. WOW powerful stuff diluted it 6-1 and did my car with a mini hand spayer then sponged it all over and rinsed off........came up lovely.

Bought 5 litres so should last for ages.

barry

barry

Hi Barry
Yep its great stuff but you do need to wax after cos it takes everything off:Doh::thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hiya Wyn

Holidays, holidays, you've only just got back from your holidays!! ha ha ha

S

Yeah! That's what I love about having a motorhome

Wyn

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Take care with G101.

Link Removed

The warning about it being an industrial product says it all.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
once you get it clean and preferably waxed etc spray a liberal coat of Fenwicks Over Wintering fluid on. it definately helps to stop anything sticking to the roof and makes future cleaning a lot easier.

Robert00

Free Member
Aug 31, 2012
canada
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone had their roof cleaned to remove Moss from the roof tiles , is this, a good idea to have high powered water jet spray to accomplish this removal, it does seem extreme and messy does it harm the tiles?

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Has anyone had their roof cleaned to remove Moss from the roof tiles , is this, a good idea to have high powered water jet spray to accomplish this removal, it does seem extreme and messy does it harm the tiles?

Hi Robert,

Seems a bit extreme to me, you could fnish up with a lot more problems than you started with, ie the water moving the tiles, finding gaps with the force and lo and behold ......leaks everywhere,
So come on, get up there with your scaper, trowel and bucket, have a good laugh whilst you are doing it, no doubt the neighbours will stand around passing all sorts of comments, you then tell them to go get a scraper, up the ladder and give you a hand, job done in half the time !,
Best of luck,,
BD. :thumb:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
My son in law had a white van once, and grubby was it. Sap, streaks, unloved, unpolished.
So, i put some Jizer in a spray bottle, got my wash and wax ready, and started.
I sprayed a panel lightly with Jizer, then washed it off with the soapy water, and the results were amazing, all clean and white, and ready for polishing.
I have done this on my RV with real stubborn marks and it works fine.

Craig
Jizer ? dread to think whats in that:ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Scourers??:Eeek: Good grief! That will make the whole thing alot worse!

To get sap off a motorhome body you have two options:

Acid Bath - but you need protective gloves and have to be pretty quick! It removes industrial fall out very well.

Scrap n buff; Apply a pool of good polish around the affected sap spot. Using a NEW razor blade 'shave' across the sap spot removing it to base layer, reapply fresh pool and run across to paint level.

Don't apply too much force, just very gentle pressure - it won't scratch through if you do it right - there is no race! Any slight surface marks will come off when you polish it off.

Using abrasives of a motorhome will heavily devalue it, as you are effectively flatting down the paintwork and you wil have the devils own job buffing out if ever. It also gives a 'key' for future dirt to stick, and it won't be coming off!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back