Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
[HI]This is for buttons[/HI] really as he mentioned that he is doing this but thought someone else could answer this as well..
I have decided to get a rolling contract on 3 for the sim card at £25 ( 2000 minutes/5000 texts, all you can eat data) on the one plan they call it, to allow tethering and we have taken it .
We have 14 days to cancel.
We already have a rolling contract with 3 for a sim card for £15.99 with a MI FI (Which we were going to cancel) and the sales consultants mentioned that the phone being tethered from would need almost constant charging and tried to get me to get a new MI FI that would be 40% faster than my original MI FI, [HI]question to buttons[/HI], is he telling the truth and would the phone run out of battery faster because it is tethered?

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Probably. I use my Phone on 3 to tether to not only to my laptop but others have also connected to it as well. I normally keep it on charge whilst tethering.

sonja

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tethering a phone causes it to draw more power than on standby, so tether it using a USB lead and it will charge at the same time. Otherwise if you tether wirelessly, put the phone on charge

Yes the new model MiFi is faster than the old model and in most cases faster than the phone connection due to the different tech around HSDPA and GPRS, which are the different connection standards. A very modern 3.5g phone should be just as quick as the new MiFi though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]This is for buttons[/HI] really as he mentioned that he is doing this but thought someone else could answer this as well..
I have decided to get a rolling contract on 3 for the sim card at £25 ( 2000 minutes/5000 texts, all you can eat data) on the one plan they call it, to allow tethering and we have taken it .
We have 14 days to cancel.
We already have a rolling contract with 3 for a sim card for £15.99 with a MI FI (Which we were going to cancel) and the sales consultants mentioned that the phone being tethered from would need almost constant charging and tried to get me to get a new MI FI that would be 40% faster than my original MI FI, [HI]question to buttons[/HI], is he telling the truth and would the phone run out of battery faster because it is tethered?
Hi t&t I have limited knowledge but I have a Samsung S2 from which I tether fairly regularly, I normally don't stay on line for more than an hour. Obviously the process does use some battery but I wouldn't say it requires mains connection. I have a car charger so top it up as required. There are some inexpensive additional external power sources on the market that will extend usage for as long as you require. See link....:thumb:
Link Removed
I did have a 3 dongle on contract for many years which worked great but dont have use for it now that I have the S2. With a rolling contract for a sim, you are able to give a months notice at any time if you are not happy with it. Hope this is some use.:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Forgot to say, I have an all signing calls and unlimited data contract with 3, I think it costs around £35 a month this includes the S2 of course.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Tethering a phone causes it to draw more power than on standby, so tether it using a USB lead and it will charge at the same time. Otherwise if you tether wirelessly, put the phone on charge

Yes the new model MiFi is faster than the old model and in most cases faster than the phone connection due to the different tech around HSDPA and GPRS, which are the different connection standards. A very modern 3.5g phone should be just as quick as the new MiFi though
My old Dongle had HSDPA that was pretty quick but now tethering to my S2 wirelessly is at least as fast as the dongle and you can have a number of different units connected as you can with the MIFI.:thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Chesterfield Hooligan.

What you do is go to settings and then personal hotspot. Turn the personal Hotspot on. You should then see your iphone on the list of networks to connect to from the laptop. connect device entering password.

I think you can connect up to 4 or 5 devices to your phone. Your phone will tell you how many devices are using it.

Sonja

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a couple of phones on Three and a MiFi Dongle also on Three. When it comes to data the Dongle always delivers much faster internet than the iPhone and Blackberry

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Iphone 4s

Hi, I have an Iphone 4s. To set phone up for tethering you have to do the followng -

Go to settings - Click on General - Click on Network - Click on Set Up Personal Hotspot.

It will then give details as to how to enable. 02 do charge extra per month for doing it this way.

A free alternative is to Jailbrake phone (really simple to do) and download an App called MyWi - and avoid paying extra monthly charge!

Rob

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The phone we will be using is HTC windows phone that shares internet, it will do it. £25 a month all you can eat data.so it's £10 A month more to tether.
I am keeping my galaxy note on vodapbone as it gives us more choice on signal where we are moving around the country,I mostly use my mi fi for that phone as I only have 500 MB a month on that but for £2.50 a month on top gives me unlimited 085.0870 and 0800 numbers,I seem to call them a lot so have saved loads, saynoto0870 doesn't give me all the numbers I need.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back