Jul 4, 2012
iom
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
hello all,
finally myself and wife have decided to take plunge but are starting at the bottom of the ladder so question is i have been offered a mercedes 508d 1993 for 3500 pound,does this seem a reasonable price?,it does need some bodywork and a bit of tlc but nothing major.hope you can help

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi and welcome

To be honest, I realise that £3500 is a lot of money to spend, but at that level your likely to be just buying a money pit. What may seem minor tlc and a bit of bodywork is likely to cost a lot more before your finished. add what you would spend on repairing the van to your budget and buy newer if you can afford it

OP
OP
M

manxies

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
iom
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi and welcome

To be honest, I realise that £3500 is a lot of money to spend, but at that level your likely to be just buying a money pit. What may seem minor tlc and a bit of bodywork is likely to cost a lot more before your finished. add what you would spend on repairing the van to your budget and buy newer if you can afford it
thanks for that but what i also failed to mention was he originally wanted 6500 for it but got banned from driving and has since got a few money problems,i didnt haggle him down to that price,it was what he needed pretty smartish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If you are handy with some tools and a bit of diy bodywork,have a go!
At that price, whatever you do to it or spend on it, will add to the value.
Get it to as you like it and give it a go, to see if you like the camping style:thumb:
I have a older one and like doing odd jobs to it,then off on trips.
Could be a hobby for you !::bigsmile:

OP
OP
M

manxies

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
iom
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
If you are handy with some tools and a bit of diy bodywork,have a go!
At that price, whatever you do to it or spend on it, will add to the value.
Get it to as you like it and give it a go, to see if you like the camping style:thumb:
I have a older one and like doing odd jobs to it,then off on trips.
Could be a hobby for you !::bigsmile:
couldnt agree more,ive always been into boats and tinkering,im a marine engineer by trade so fixing most things isnt to much trouble

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Hi and welcome

Have to agree there, I,m a long time mechanic and have a fair bit of equipment to hand, plus loads of mates in the trade, but an old beastie beat me. Once I got near to spending as much in parts as I paid for it (same as you)...I cut it loose at a loss. For ME, that was the best way. You, at least, have a Merc underpinning....so good luck with it.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back