French breathalyser latest (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I shall add this to the list of things I haven't bought and don;t intend to buy. And practically, what does an unused breathalyser do to improve road safety? It's Catch 22 - I did have a breathalyser, officer, but I used it to confirm I was safe to drive. Ah, but now you don't have a breathalyser...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Does anyone know if motorcyclists will have to carry these breathe test kits ?

I believe they do.

[HI]It has emerged that the chief of the road safety group that persuaded Nicolas Sarkozy’s government to adopt the ruling is also a senior executive with the leading manufacturer of the blow-in-the-bag test kits.

French daily Sud Ouest revealed on Wednesday that Daniel Orgeval, the president of the anti-drink driving lobby group I-Test, also works for Contralco, the leading manufacturer of the equipment.[/HI]

Goodness me, that's a surprise, whatever next?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Are you allowed to carry a reusable digital one or does it have to be one authorised by the French government so they can get their kickbacks? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
One or two? I thought two were needed in case you were instructed to use one.

NO ...one is enough! They are supposed to provide a breathalyzer when they control you !!!

If you are not an alcohol drinker you just need the one you have to show the Police. In fact the others should be in the houses where you're going so you can test yourselves before leaving. I would not be surprised either if the restaurants were having a few at disposal for their clients.

I have a set of 2 because they were sold together. But will never use them . I don't drink. Problem solved:Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Are you allowed to carry a reusable digital one or does it have to be one authorised by the French government so they can get their kickbacks? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Karl ... I see you everywhere :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It just has to be french normes NF that's all !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I shall add this to the list of things I haven't bought and don;t intend to buy. And practically, what does an unused breathalyser do to improve road safety? It's Catch 22 - I did have a breathalyser, officer, but I used it to confirm I was safe to drive. Ah, but now you don't have a breathalyser...

like in Spain, the French police are out to catch motorists for anything if they can get away with. From the standard of French driving Ive seen as typical, your just as likely to be bumped by a local car. The police will then attend and as a matter of procedure check your breathaliser is there. Cheaper to spend 3 or 4 euos now than get fined

Im not saying your not right about the probable usefulness, but it is a legal requirement and to state you dont intend to comply is a gamble...do you feel lucky??

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

We bought one of the digital ones, does this mean we have wasted our money and will have to buy the blow the bag up model??

Ginny

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
From what I've seen of the NF ones it is very difficult to assess the accuracy so use the digital one but keep the cheap NF ones with you as well.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We were in France in June and I tried to buy two ready for our next excursion. None of the supermarkets I tried had any stock. I understand they are in short supply.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yes , they do have to carry one ....Each day since the first of July they repeat it on the radio news, so I am sure !

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Motorcyclist's yes...to a point...but not all motorised cycles...I put this on a thread earlier this week,With a lot of other information

Breath test kits obligatory
March 05, 2012
DRIVERS and motorcyclists will be obliged to carry a breath test in their vehicles from July 1 after the publication of the new law in the Journal Officiel.

Foreign visitors and tourists also come under the new law which opinion polls have said is welcomed by two in three voters in France.

Anyone found not carrying a breath test kit will face a fine of €11 and only cyclomoteurs - two-wheelers of under 50cc -DOES THIS MEAN JJ On his Velo solex will be exempt. OH NO...A period of grace will mean it will not be enforced until November 1.

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
like in Spain, the French police are out to catch motorists for anything if they can get away with. From the standard of French driving Ive seen as typical, your just as likely to be bumped by a local car. The police will then attend and as a matter of procedure check your breathaliser is there. Cheaper to spend 3 or 4 euos now than get fined

Im not saying your not right about the probable usefulness, but it is a legal requirement and to state you dont intend to comply is a gamble...do you feel lucky??

Spot on .big1.........also do you think GB plated plated vehicles would be a prime target:winky::winky:...
The reason I say that is because our UK neighbour and my cousin were pulled, and had to pay 90 euros, for not physically stopping at a stop sign..they could see the road was clear both ways!!! so with the car was still just rolling ...pulled out !!whoops Gendarme bikers two of them....also a UK biker did not give way to two Gendarme bikers pulling out off the slip road on the motorway (priority right) slow down and let them on the motorway or pull into the second lane if clear...90euros

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
NO ...one is enough! They are supposed to provide a breathalyzer when they control you !!!

If you are not an alcohol drinker you just need the one you have to show the Police. In fact the others should be in the houses where you're going so you can test yourselves before leaving. I would not be surprised either if the restaurants were having a few at disposal for their clients.

I have a set of 2 because they were sold together. But will never use them . I don't drink. Problem solved:Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Advice from the Sécurité Routière is to carry two kits - to cover any eventual usage.

Costs for the simple balloon-type are no more than €1.50. They should carry the NF (Norme Française) logo and should be changed every two years.

Mel

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Yes Mel , I would say the same to someone who drinks on a regular basis . In fact I would recommend to these people at least 10 of them. But we are talking about LAW , just this , and it says only one is compulsary. I bought 2 only because it was a set of 2 ... but I don't drink and if I had had the choice , I would have had only one.
If I happen to drink ...it means someone else drives or I am at home ... simple!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yes Mel , I would say the same to someone who drinks on a regular basis . In fact I would recommend to these people at least 10 of them. But we are talking about LAW , just this , and it says only one is compulsary. I bought 2 only because it was a set of 2 ... but I don't drink and if I had had the choice , I would have had only one.
If I happen to drink ...it means someone else drives or I am at home ... simple!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::winky:

Frankie ...this is not my advice this was out of a French newspaper.
.Advice from the Sécurité Routière is to carry two kits - to cover any eventual usage.

My wife and I also do not drink.... That has nothing to do with it.......it says you must have a kit on board at all times...so having used one if pulled over, you need another one to carry on with your journey,

If you want to carry ONE blow in a bag in your car that is up to you.....

But for motorhomers coming across from the uk it may be better for them to carry two kits as suggested in the French news paper ..Due to them having differculties aquiring the French breathalyser kit in the first place, and do not need the extra worry driving around looking for a replacement when they should be enjoying there holiday.
.:Doh:. I thought that was sound advice from the Sécurité Routière

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
From what I've seen of the NF ones it is very difficult to assess the accuracy so use the digital one but keep the cheap NF ones with you as well.

We dont drink and drive, but will the French police accept the digital model or will we need to buy the NF ones as well? just to be within the letter of the law?

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
We dont drink and drive, but will the French police accept the digital model or will we need to buy the NF ones as well? just to be within the letter of the law?

Yeah ... Do have a NF one and you'll be peace minded.... just like me :Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Frankie ...this is not my advice this was out of a French newspaper.
.Advice from the Sécurité Routière is to carry two kits - to cover any eventual usage.

My wife and I also do not drink.... That has nothing to do with it.......it says you must have a kit on board at all times...so having used one if pulled over, you need another one to carry on with your journey,

If you want to carry ONE blow in a bag in your car that is up to you.....

But for motorhomers coming across from the uk it may be better for them to carry two kits as suggested in the French news paper ..Due to them having differculties aquiring the French breathalyser kit in the first place, and do not need the extra worry driving around looking for a replacement when they should be enjoying there holiday.
.:Doh:. I thought that was sound advice from the Sécurité Routière

Advice reported in a newspaper is not the Law...

As I understand it the Law states you must have ONE on board.

Now... if you get pulled and have to use that one then you can not carry on with your journey because you no longer have a breathalyser on board...

But if you have two... and happen to be pulled over twice on the same journey and you use both up... well then...

So... you decide... but as I understand it the law says you must have ONE...

(The newspaper with this advice wasn't the French Daily Ma*l by any chance?)

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Advice reported in a newspaper is not the Law...

As I understand it the Law states you must have ONE on board.

Now... if you get pulled and have to use that one then you can not carry on with your journey because you no longer have a breathalyser on board...

But if you have two... and happen to be pulled over twice on the same journey and you use both up... well then...

So... you decide..I agree with JJ..Mmm it is up to you....YOU DECIDE one or two kits in your motorhome. ...............but what JJ is saying as he understands it the law says you must have ONE...

Now was this information taken from the Portuguese Daily mail:winky::winky: or mail on Sunday:winky::winky:

NO :dm: NO

And what are the chances of being pulled over twice:wine::drink::Eeek:.unless you have been drinking and::bigsmile:riving2: then the one bag should be enough:ROFLMAO:... have I ever said it is law.... I said it was sound advice from Sécurité Routière:Doh::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I do believe it is the law in France (and other places) to have stuff like a first aid kit, yellow jackets, warning triangles, spare bulbs and the like...

I have had the great pleasure of being stopped many times by the police in France (Spain and Portugal)... (Those policewomen with that uniform and their French accents...:Blush:) and never, ever, ever have I been asked to show any of the above items to them...

...they wanted to see ID, vehicle documents and then get the sniffer dogs in to check for drugs... (poor beasts sniffing around the Wagon... it must knock 'em out for hours!)... :ROFLMAO:

I also think that the claim that the foreign police target the Brits just so they can get money out of them to be, in my experience, completely false... I have never ever, ever been fined...

I dare say some "We saved you in the War and beat you at Waterloo and Agincourt" arrogant English types with their superior attitude might wind a few Gendarmes up... and then they suffer the consequences... those types wind me up too and I have a UK passport...

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I do believe it is the law in France (and other places) to have stuff like a first aid kit, yellow jackets, warning triangles, spare bulbs and the like...

I have had the great pleasure of being stopped many times by the police in France (Spain and Portugal)... (Those policewomen with that uniform and their French accents...:Blush:) and never, ever, ever have I been asked to show any of the above items to them...

...they wanted to see ID, vehicle documents and then get the sniffer dogs in to check for drugs... (poor beasts sniffing around the Wagon... it must knock 'em out for hours!)... :ROFLMAO:

I also think that the claim that the foreign police target the Brits just so they can get money out of them to be, in my experience, completely false..
You could be correct.. I was just asking the question....may be a kind word of advice would have been better than 90 euros.

I have never ever, ever been fined...

I dare say some "We saved you in the War and beat you at Waterloo and Agincourt" arrogant English types with their superior attitude might wind a few Gendarmes up... and then they suffer the consequences... those types wind me up too and I have a UK passport...

Are you saying you do not carry these items above and advice others to do the same.. or you do carry them, but have never been asked to produce them...if the later.. then it is sound advice to carry at least one blow in the bag kit if not two :winky::winky:

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Spot on .big1.........also do you think GB plated plated vehicles would be a prime target:winky::winky:...
[HI]The reason I say that is because our UK neighbour and my cousin were pulled, and had to pay 90 euros, for not physically stopping at a stop sign..they could see the road was clear both ways!!! so with the car was still just rolling ...pulled out [/HI]!!whoops Gendarme bikers two of them....also a UK biker did not give way to two Gendarme bikers pulling out off the slip road on the motorway (priority right) slow down and let them on the motorway or pull into the second lane if clear...90euros

Mel

This is probably the most common thing to be stopped (and fined for) in France. If it says stop, it means stop--for 3 seconds the car must be stationary (or is it stationery?) Just along the road from me there is a stop junction--middle of nowhere, easy to see both ways. Friends in the car sniggered as I stopped--but stopped as a car with 2 Gendarmes came along the road.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
This is probably the most common thing to be stopped (and fined for) in France. If it says stop, it means stop--for 3 seconds the car must be stationary (or is it stationery?) Just along the road from me there is a stop junction--middle of nowhere, easy to see both ways. Friends in the car sniggered as I stopped--but stopped as a car with 2 Gendarmes came along the road.

My father told me one morning some 40 years ago, when coming back from work at midnight (he was working for french TV so ending work when programs ended of course), that he had been fined for not stopping at least 2 seconds . FULL STOP ! It was at a cross road , in the middle of nowhere, midnight ... and these 2 policemen were waiting for people doing that silly thing, not stopping ! I full stop each time and recommend to do so to anyone driving in France ... or if caught you'll be fined

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Are you saying you do not carry these items above and advice others to do the same.. or you do carry them, but have never been asked to produce them...if the later.. then it is sound advice to carry at least one blow in the bag kit if not two :winky::winky:

I try (but maybe fail) never to advise anyone... I say what I do... and yes... I do carry these things somewhere... but it would take me ages to dig them out...:ROFLMAO:

But I hope that all these "regulations" and perceived problems do not put people off taking trips abroad because they get themselves into a tizzy about them...

I found continental travel to be exciting, fun, different and exhilarating... and quite straight forward...

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
if it is a marked cross road you have to stop a unmarked cross road you are to slow down enough to look both ways and cary on without stoping ,thats for the uk:RollEyes:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Yes I agree Holly... I do stop.. and I tell alll my friends and relations the same to be aware of the stop sign:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
€11 for a fine isn't too bad though is it?

I suspect these kits cost about a fiver and probably have an age limit when they need to be replaced of say 3 years?

In the 20 odd years I have travelled on the continent I have never been stopped.

I might just be a rebel::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back