BEST Dongle ? wifi sims ?????????? (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all, which is the best dongle to buy ?do unlocked ones work with any sim?also I have been on ebay and they have unlocked dongles on 02-voda-t mob-and 3g but all different makes,is there any better than others? (links if poss :winky:)Have found some data sims on 3 that last 90 days from first use is this good ?Also links please for the sims :thumb:::bigsmile:--you can tell when I on my new toy,my sig starts with a capitol T::bigsmile:
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Do you have a smart phone terry, I have now dumped my dongle and tethering to my phone on the Three network.
If not then I have been using a Three dongle for about 6 years good service and very competitive. Good luck.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I know this is not strictly the question, but I would now only go for the 3 mifi we have had a variety of dongles but find the 3 mifi a lot more reliable and yes you can get 3 months for £20 and even cheaper on e bay I believe. 3 have now bought a budget version out which my daughter has and it is very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I am looking for the same item--
Looked through pages of dongles-
If you want a unlocked one then there are some on ebay (work with any card)
If you want to use in a motorhome and get a signal through all that aluminium you need a external aerial.
I looked at both, the two together comes to around this dedicated unit price--

Link Removed
I asked them-- you can use any uk sim in it and overseas buy a local sim and that works the internet ok :thumb:
I have a smart phone with 3g in it but wherever i park ,it is always a weak signal--needs boosting .
Must be a piddly aerial in a phone

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I am looking for the same item--
Looked through pages of dongles-
If you want a unlocked one then there are some on ebay (work with any card)
If you want to use in a motorhome and get a signal through all that aluminium you need a external aerial.
I looked at both, the two together comes to around this dedicated unit price--

Link Removed
I asked them-- you can use any uk sim in it and overseas buy a local sim and that works the internet ok :thumb:
I have a smart phone with 3g in it but wherever i park ,it is always a weak signal--needs boosting .
Must be a piddly aerial in a phone

I assume there's no time limit on the dongle, if that lasts a lifetime in techno terms it sounds like good value.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Terry I posted about this last week, I got a Huawei 5331 MI-FI from the 3 shop £49.99 including 1gig data sim, I then purchased a 3gig data sim from Ebay for £12.20.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Dont believe the hype about not getting a signal in a motorhome because its an aluminium box. so long as you put the dongle or mifi by the window its no problem

Personally having used both, I always recomend the mifi over the dongle as it works better and gives you a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices simultaneously. for instance 2 laptops, ipad and 2 phones in our case. best value is either through 3 shop for locked at £49.99 or about £2 more unlocked on Ebay

Link Removed

sim card with 3.... 3gb or 3months from first connection
Link Removed

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Dont believe the hype about not getting a signal in a motorhome because its an aluminium box. so long as you put the dongle or mifi by the window its no problem

Personally having used both, I always recomend the mifi over the dongle as it works better and gives you a wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices simultaneously. for instance 2 laptops, ipad and 2 phones in our case. best value is either through 3 shop for locked at £49.99 or about £2 more unlocked on Ebay

Link Removed

Link Removed
Tried it!! 3G phones don`t transmit data through aluminium, --that`s why there is a car radio antenna on the outside to pick up a signal !
All gps receivers work better under glass not inside a car , or have a external aerial.
Putting a receiver by the window is ok, if the window is the same side as the transmitter.
I have been on countless sites and no signal inside but go outside, in the rain , and bingo!
A bendy rod high up on your roof will get it anywhere :thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks to all who replied and a big thanks for the 3g 3gb for £13 :thumb:--Can somebody explain what the wifi things are ?I have just about got my head set on a dongle :Smile: but now wifi rears it's head.As you can tell new to all this wireless stuff :winky:
terry
edit sorry I mean mifi --:winky:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Tried it!! 3G phones don`t transmit data through aluminium, --that`s why there is a car radio antenna on the outside to pick up a signal !

Wonder why mine works ok then? I use a MiFi and a Dongle depending on what I am doing. They both work fine inside the van.

Wifi on the other hand not so well.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks to all who replied and a big thanks for the 3g 3gb for £13 :thumb:--Can somebody explain what the wifi things are ?I have just about got my head set on a dongle :Smile: but now wifi rears it's head.As you can tell new to all this wireless stuff :winky:
terry

Not Wi-fi but Mi-fi
basically a portable router with the same guts as a dongle that connects it to mobile phone network. Ironically you then connect to it by Wi-fi

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again can all you smart wireless people explain what the Wifi and Mifi are to a thicko like me please -::bigsmile: again any ebay links/numbers
terry
Cheers Big 1 I am trying to avoid my phone it is on 02 and shit especialy around n yorks moors

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
All gps receivers work better under glass not inside a car , or have a external aerial.
Putting a receiver by the window is ok, if the window is the same side as the transmitter.
I have been on countless sites and no signal inside but go outside, in the rain , and bingo!

The reason that the signal wont go through the metal as found on some vans is because it is being sheilded in a simple faraday cage. However the large windows, either plastic or glass in the cab is no obstacle. Ive been down the external aerial and dongle route, and found the signal to be little or no better. The Mifi on the other hand is somewhat higher gain and pick up a signal easily in the last 3 vans Ive owned. As said it mostly comes down to the hype put out by the people selling the external aerials and such like.

If your using a dongle and the signal is the other side of the van, buy a powered USB extension lead. Could even put the dongle on the roof via a skylight and a jiffy bag. Yep done that too, and it does help in poor signal areas, but not as much as a mifi

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi again can all you smart wireless people explain what the Wifi and Mifi are to a thicko like me please -::bigsmile: again any ebay links/numbers
terry
Cheers Big 1 I am trying to avoid my phone it is on 02 and shit especialy around n yorks moors

Wi-fi is the way your laptop talks to your router at home wirelessly (WI-reless Fi-network)

Mi-fi as in my last link takes a SIM card same as a dongle, both use the same network that phones use. (Mi-mobile Fi-network) I recomend using 3 for virtually all uk

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage to check coverage by postcode

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The beauty of a Mi-fi (portable wi-fi hotspot) over a dongle is that the dongle needs to be attached to your receiving device, be it laptop or tablet, and therefore you have to use your device where it's receiving the best signal, the Mi-fi can be placed where it is receiving the best signal and you can use up to 5 devices within a 10mtr distance for the mi-fi unit (also you can't attach a dongle to an iPad)

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
MIFI

Mifi was the best option for me and the best deal I found after buying device was with three,
£15 for 10 gig on a one month rolling contract and I think only available by visiting 3 shop
Alan :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For me mine is just right....only used in the motorhome and for home emergencies (phone line outages)

ex-T mobile Huawei dongle...got it unlocked for £5 when my contract ended.

Vodaphone none expiring data only sim with £15 credit installed, bought for £7.50 inc p&p on eBay.
Vodaphone credited an extra quid shortly after registering.

still have £1.84 of the original £16 credit after nearly 2 years....it does not expire...ever.

now try and find the none expiring sim...and if you do, let me know as i want some more. :thumb:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

I have a Samsung Galaxy 2 on the Three network. We have unlimited data (that actually means unlimited) and can tether 10 devices ::bigsmile: Sorted!
:Eeek: same here great deal:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wi-fi is the way your laptop talks to your router at home wirelessly (WI-reless Fi-network)

Mi-fi as in my last link takes a SIM card same as a dongle, both use the same network that phones use. (Mi-mobile Fi-network) I recomend using 3 for virtually all uk

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage to check coverage by postcode

"Wi-Fi" is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance and the logo 'Wi-Fi' stands for 'WIreless FIdelity'

Wi-FI

Mi-Fi stands for 'My Wi-Fi'

Mi-Fi

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

"Wi-Fi" is a trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance and the logo 'Wi-Fi' stands for 'WIreless FIdelity'

Wi-FI

Mi-Fi stands for 'My Wi-Fi'

Mi-Fi

I know that PJ, and the adoption of the trademark for alternative use, but was attempting to explain the difference without any jargon in layman's terms. I believe that to over complicate things just confuses.

The difference in the broadcast standards used and frequencies is just numbers to most people. Ask how it works and you get 1 set of answers, ask for the idiots guide as to what the 2 technologies do gets answered very basically unless asked otherwise

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know that PJ, and the adoption of the trademark for alternative use, but was attempting to explain the difference without any jargon in layman's terms. I believe that to over complicate things just confuses.

The difference in the broadcast standards used and frequencies is just numbers to most people. Ask how it works and you get 1 set of answers, ask for the idiots guide as to what the 2 technologies do gets answered very basically unless asked otherwise

fair comment :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Have to disagree..

My iPhone on 3 tethered to my iPad, wife's Laptop, kids Ps Vita, works without any problem sat on the work top in the van.

I'm, streaming SkySports, wife watching something else, kids gaming, no problem. And it was a rainy day. If the signal is weak, Scottish Highlands, middle of nowhere, I just put my phone in the skylight resting on the blind..

Works brill....:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Link Removed

Link Removed

I also Disagree
We have a Orange dongle in France and that works most of the time plugged into the laptop inside the van...but if we do have a week signal I put a 1metre extension usb cable onto the dongle and place the dongle near the window ...:thumb: Job done

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Have to disagree..

My iPhone on 3 tethered to my iPad, wife's Laptop, kids Ps Vita, works without any problem sat on the work top in the van.

I'm, streaming SkySports, wife watching something else, kids gaming, no problem. And it was a rainy day. If the signal is weak, Scottish Highlands, middle of nowhere, I just put my phone in the skylight resting on the blind..

Works brill....:thumb:
You must be close to a transmitter :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Nokia E72 phone works fine in the back of my all metal, windowless, self build Iveco Turbo Daily (with intercooler) but it does have a fibreglass (hightop) roof...

My Nokia E72 phone works fine in the back of our Hymer but as well as several windows (double "glazed" plastic) it too has a fibre glass roof...

I also use a dongle plugged into a Vodafone Sharing Dock (and thus creating my own wi-fi hotspot for up to five units) in both vehicles and inside theatres behind walls etc and it picks up a 3g data connection almost every where...

Technology Rools Ok...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have just got the 3 miff

Link Removed

Link Removed

I have just got the 3 miff with 12 gb ... going to see how it works at Rutland... up to now I have tethered to the iphon4 from the MacBook Pro... but as Sue likes to use the phone a lot the hotspot will be helpful for us both. Not cheap, but we will see how we get on with it.

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back