Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK I'm a listaholic, there I admit it:whatthe:

I'm sure that I'm not the only one though, especially when it comes to planning trips out and those few days before departure.

What's everyones top 5 tasks before leaving on a trip out ?

I'll start:

1) Connect up mains and switch Fridge on
2) Charge up camera battery
3) Check tire pressures and wheels are tight
4) Empty bin and put the rubbish out at home
5) Print off any reservation details, email confirmations etc

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
Check your engine oil cap is on especially if you have just had it serviced trust me experienced in this matter

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

I'm sure that I'm not the only one though, especially when it comes to planning trips out and those few days before departure.

I'll start:

Never checked me nuts on the motorhome, but did it every trip when tugging the caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
My post it note on the inside of the front door has never changed since the first one I wrote

1. Insulin
2. Passports
3. Tickets
4. Money

The only things that are vital to me because I can buy everything else.

I expect Pete would have to add things like Driving Licence and Ins Docs - but that's his checklist not mine! a) if I have my money I have my driving licence (in my purse) b) if we had to abandon the m/h for any reason eg lack of evidence of insurance - I'd just kill him first and leave him in the van, with what else is in my purse I'd buy a bag, fill it with my personal belongings etc and proceed to an hotel ! :roflmto:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
My post it note on the inside of the front door has never changed since the first one I wrote

1. Insulin
2. Passports
3. Tickets
4. Money

The only things that are vital to me because I can buy everything else.

I expect Pete would have to add things like Driving Licence and Ins Docs - but that's his checklist not mine! a) if I have my money I have my driving licence (in my purse) b) if we had to abandon the m/h for any reason eg lack of evidence of insurance - I'd just kill him first and leave him in the van, with what else is in my purse I'd buy a bag, fill it with my personal belongings etc and proceed to an hotel ! :roflmto:

I suspect he doesn't forget many things:whatthe:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
He DID forget his driving licence once when we went to Rhodes! I think I'm justified in expecting him never to do it again ......

Mind you I have to say, considering No 1 on my list is kinda the MOST imprtant a) I've left my insulin pens in a loo at Heathrow and taken off Brisbane bound, only to find this out when lunch was being served and b) I now deliver my insulin by more modern means and we set off to Dover via Jct 3 of the M6, as we were approaching Jct 1 I said Oooer - pull off at Rugby and go back home please dear. Why? Cos my insulin pump is still on my bedside table where I always put it when I have my shower ......

But I HAD put my insulin in the fridge ...... :ROFLMAO:

So really on balance, it's probably much more likely that I'll be dead and some Council will find me in a skip on the Aire at the end of the season! :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
1 put in medication
2 load dogs after walking them, clip on their seatbelts
3 double check all cash, laptops & docs are in the van
4 check fridge & put kitchen bin out
5 hitch up trailer & check lights

everything else being ready for days before...so much easier keeping the van at home

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

I'll start:

Aarrrgghhh! Another listaholic:Doh: I thought hubby was bad enough, lists for this, lists for that, now he's started on the list for going to Brittany at the end of August.
We (Bill) has started the list for France, 2 breathalyzers, hi-vis jackets, red warning triangle, spare glasses :Eeek: and spare bulbs for van. Plus we need to get a fire blanket or similar, after a slightly frightening experience with the bubblewrap in the grill (to stop it rattling whilst driving) :Eeek:
We have still to organise the ferry tickets, but don't suppose it'll be too busy in early September, plenty time for them I suppose. By the time we've driven all the way down to Portsmouth and visited all the family that we haven't seen for years, we'll be ready for a holiday:roflmto:
Oh and information on aires etc, etc........this list goes on:Doh:

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Pre departure check list

Also keep a check list on display in the Van for when we depart a site.
Switch off water heater.
Tv aerial down
Gas off
Roof lights closed
Shower roof light closed
Cupboards secure
Switch to Vehicle Battery
Switch off power
Electric Cable off
external hatches secure.
Without a list and sometimes with one it is easy to forget something which could possibly be costly.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
LOL at the bubble wrap in the grill !

We use a couple of old very faded and thin guest towels that were right at the bottom of Pete's airing cupboard when we moved here. (God knows why I'd kept em after that?) One round the grill pan and the other round the baking tins in the oven.

I recommend this approach because I can grab a bit of the towel that isn't on fire, to smother the bit that is - after I keep pressing the ignition button and the hob STILL won't light! :Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
LOL at the bubble wrap in the grill !

We use a couple of old very faded and thin guest towels that were right at the bottom of Pete's airing cupboard when we moved here. (God knows why I'd kept em after that?) One round the grill pan and the other round the baking tins in the oven.

I recommend this approach because I can grab a bit of the towel that isn't on fire, to smother the bit that is - after I keep pressing the ignition button and the hob STILL won't light! :Doh:

That was what happened to us, Bill switched on the wrong burner on the hob, he meant to put one of the burners on the hob on, but lit the grill by mistake, no actually it was the oven:Doh: Fortunately we realised very quickly, but there was a minor panic for about 8 seconds before we got it sorted:whatthe:

We use tea towels under the glass lids on the hob and sink to cushion those, but even if we'd used old towels in the oven/grill to stop the rattles, they would have caught as well. So really need to get a fire blanket or an extinguisher for safety's sake:cry:
What a panic and all because we'd stopped for a cuppa and a sandwich:Doh:
Margaret

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As a listaholic I trust you have a copy of Jims' "Motorhome checklists" which has lists for just about everything???????:RollEyes:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
1 Holly (favourite girl dog)
2 Ben (favourite boy dog)
3 Beer

Go

Turn around 5 min later and pick the missis up, and tell her that I am just warming up the van engine::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
1 Holly (favourite girl dog)
2 Ben (favourite boy dog)
3 Beer

Go

Turn around 5 min later and pick the missis up, and tell her that I am just warming up the van engine::bigsmile:

Ha, ha! Sounds like what hubby would say to me, I was coming back anyway::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back