Which levelling blocks are best? (1 Viewer)

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
We gained a pair of Milenco aluminium levellers with our van and used them for the first time at the weekend - a lot of sweat and turning involved to then have to do it again the next morning so we could drive off in van to theme park so we are looking for an easier alternative!
We have seen the yellow Fiamma levelling blocks but there are several types - any recommendations for which is the best or is there an alternative to the Fiamma?
Thanks for replies.
Liz

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the plastic ones will be just as heavy as aluminium ones.

or do you mean the caravan type which wind up and down ?

Link Removed

Fiamma ramps are as good as any.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
milenco quattro are wider and more secure than the yellow fiamma ones, and are designed for motorhome use rather than caravans

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just get used to not using them. never used them at all myself .learn which way the sink /shower drains and park acordingly. also if free parking its not parking if things like that are used.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know but still havent used them .like the way the oil pools to one side of the frying pan as well. you can get used to it .

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Milenco Triples for me, allow driver to level up without assistance, easy to feel when tyre registered in each level. (Does that make sense?) A longer MH may benefit from the quattro's.

This is them, we bought ours for less at one of show rallies last yaer

Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We bought a pair of Fiamma Magnum ramps when we bought our first van and used them successfully for over 5 years. When we bought the Burstner it came with some orange ramps (make not known) which we used with no problems on a few occasions. However, when we arrived at Stratford the grass/wheels were so wet that the van wouldn't climb the (smoothish) ramps. We solved the immediate problem by turning them upside down (smooth side to the grass).

As a result then bought a pair of Milenco Quattro. We chose them over the triples because we had room for them and they gave the extra option. Used them for the first time last weekend and found them effective - and easier to use offset (nearside front wheel on the top level and offside front wheel on the bottom level) to level(ish) both front to back and side to side.

As regards levelling in general we are happy if it is "near enough" and only use the ramps if not.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont need 'em.....I have four of these.

turn a key, move a 4 way gimbal stick. :thumb:

HH95440B-2.jpg

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I bought some of the Milenco Quattro levellers a couple of years ago as I could 'feel' my way up them more easily when I was a solo traveller.

However, I did not like the way that the tyres sat on the pointy-bits (technical term) especially if I wasn't going to be moving the 'van for a few days.

I've gone back to my Fiamma wedges and got myself a man to guide me up them :winky:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I've got used to the Milenco Quattro levellers, having tried the Fiamma varieties. I think it is like everything, you find the type you like and leave the others in the garage at home! (note to self to have a clear out).

One thing to remember, if you are on levellers and it has rained, when you come off, the water on the roof has to go somewhere.... keep windows closed and anyone outside the van, standing back.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
One thing to remember, if you are on levellers and it has rained, when you come off, the water on the roof has to go somewhere.... keep windows closed and anyone outside the van, standing back.

But if you were using whatever to park level, the should the rain have not run off ? :Blush:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
just get used to not using them. never used them at all myself .learn which way the sink /shower drains and park acordingly. also if free parking its not parking if things like that are used.

Modern fridge freezers will not function correctly if the van is not level causing the refrigerant to not circulate round adequately :Sad:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Not always possible...even many 'level' pitch's/sites arent level.

I agree John...!!!not always possible, and WHY:Doh: Would you....want to park looking into a brick wall. no view..even under trees....No solar, No TV :Eeek::Doh: but my water runs away ........and many other reasons... just so the water runs away.... when you can put a couple of plastic blocks/ramps if and when required:Doh::winky:..they are not always needed but when required......it is ramps for me, just a simple Task

I can understand a little more with Alan on a Artic/5er...
Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just jumping on the back of this thread....I have the Fiama yellow ramps and they now starting to brake up on the bottom corners due to rough stones on the ground we have parked on and the weight....so I am looking at the Milenco Quattro. the rough parts that you park on ...are they a problem for the tyres or not....as one lady funster has mentioned :Doh:

Mel

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had the Fiamma ones.. in fact two sets and both folded up after a while
Now have the big Milenco's and so far ( 2 years of hard use ) they have performed really well

Would LOVE a set of jacks but on a Euro wobble box the weight and fitting is fairly problematic :Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just jumping on the back of this thread....I have the Fiama yellow ramps and they now starting to brake up on the bottom corners due to rough stones on the ground we have parked on and the weight....so I am looking at the Milenco Quattro. the rough parts that you park on ...are they a problem for the tyres or not....as one lady funster has mentioned :Doh:

Mel

No, they are shaped to hold the tyre, and the "sharp" ridges are not going to cut the rubber on the treads, they just give more grip

They are also designed up to 6000kg capacity

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi canopus .i would say modern fridges are much better than the old ones .
but far better to have a compressor fridge . they just work.
i laugh watching so many play about with wedges and bits of wood .
cant have adventures with out a bit of a slope . hee hee
life isnt just straight lines and square. you dont fall off the end ,the world isnt flat . ha ha

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
No, they are shaped to hold the tyre, and the "sharp" ridges are not going to cut the rubber on the treads, they just give more grip

They are also designed up to 6000kg capacity

Thank you big 1 for the reply....:thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I bought some of the Milenco Quattro levellers a couple of years ago as I could 'feel' my way up them more easily when I was a solo traveller.

However, I did not like the way that the tyres sat on the pointy-bits (technical term) especially if I wasn't going to be moving the 'van for a few days.

I've gone back to my Fiamma wedges and got myself a man to guide me up them :winky:

Not much you can really say after that:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
hi canopus .i would say modern fridges are much better than the old ones .
but far better to have a compressor fridge . they just work.
i laugh watching so many play about with wedges and bits of wood .
cant have adventures with out a bit of a slope . hee hee
life isnt just straight lines and square. you dont fall off the end ,the world isnt flat . ha ha

Alan.. a lot of the motorhomes ....mine is one of them if NOT level the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink and the shower all do not drain..so after ones has had a shower (or you have washed the pots) you need to remove the water before the next person can have shower, or it will come over the top...and because water is at a premium to motorhomers and I don't want to wasting it setting a vortex going....I have a 12" length of vacuum pipe/ or domestic sink waste pipe a quick blow and off the water goes ..it says in the Rapido manual if the WATER DOES NOT DRAIN turn the tap on over the plug hole to create a vortex:Doh: a lot of the newer motorhomes are using solid domestic pipes set at just off level....the ones like you would use at home with water traps under the sinks and showers to stop the smells coming back through the waste pipes .....SO if I re-route all the pipes or change the pipes to flexible ones or take out the shower to get to the traps..more like an old system..to get the water to drain only to find the next time I park on a uneven surface different to the last one...would you want me to re-route the pipes all over again:Doh:....so for me on this motorhome I will park in ramps...simple 2 sec job... takes more time getting the ramps out of the bag:Doh:....what I do not understand you see many motorhomers.... up and down.... up and down.... up and down on the ramps trying to get the van level.....you can see if the motorhome is level:Doh:.......only to find they have put the ramps under the wrong side and now the motorhome is leaning twice as much.....BUT THE WORST OF IT IS THEY LEAVE IT LIKE THAT:Eeek: :Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The motorhome before this was a McLouis Steel 463... very rare did we ever level or need to...it was only when we fell out of bed did we have to ..BUT the water still would drain away no problem...

I have not had a fridge problem as yet:thumb:

Mel:winky:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nothing new there then . i have been using household fittings for twelve years .
you use what you like .i dont actually care .i cant help it if the modern m,home is substandard . i just find it hard that if you arent exactly level things dont work .turn the van around then it may be a better slope .
as it is i shall carry on laughing .

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have a two pairs of Fiamma ramps, one big and one small.
We mainly use the big ones on the front wheels and can usually get a level we can cope with.
The smaller ones are sometimes used on a pitch with an odd cross fall that requires side and front/rear levelling where we mix and match to achieve a level MH.
It only takes a few minutes and is worth it in my humble opinion, just to stop doors swinging open, water to drain away and most important of all, cut down the risk of spilling my wine.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
nothing new there then . i have been using household fittings for twelve years .
you use what you like .i dont actually care .i cant help it if the modern m,home is substandard . i just find it hard that if you arent exactly level things dont work .turn the van around then it may be a better slope .
as it is i shall carry on laughing .

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:as John I said in a previous thread ....what ever rock's your boat "UPS" artic 5er

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i still cant see as using the yellow blocks gives you better sun shining or even better tv,certainly cant see what trees have got to do with it .they are either there or not there .certainly wedges dont remove them.
as it is i also have a bongo and a vw camper here .still dont use them . just more money wasted in my book. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
but then i only travel for about 6 months of the year so maybe i,m not used to it .:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
i still cant see as using the yellow blocks gives you better sun shining or even better tv,certainly cant see what trees have got to do with it .they are either there or not there .certainly wedges dont remove them.
as it is i also have a bongo and a vw camper here .still dont use them . just more money wasted in my book. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
but then i only travel for about 6 months of the year so maybe i,m not used to it .:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Alan if you are in the Desert.....No you won't see the trees..... I never said the wedges gave you better sunshine or removed the trees:Doh: read the thread.... my dish and others may be nearer the front or rear and not in the middle:Doh: so to turn the van around to combat the slope for the water to empty..is silly when a couple of wedges sorts out the problem...

Your dish may not be getting a signal just because the wall, house, building or some trees are in the way...so by using the wedge to combat the slope may just allow you to receive a sat signal for the tv....or sunshine on the solar:Doh: yes as I said what ever rocks your boat....we do around 8 months a year and toured for 40+ years so we are just new comers and bow to your vast experiance:notworthy::notworthy::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We bought the Millenco Quattro ones, they came in a neat heavy duty canvas bag, but are quite heavy and very sturdy. They sit under one of the seats in the lounge area, but so far, we haven't had to use them yet:RollEyes:

My pet hate is when the water in the shower tray doesn't drain away easily:Angry: but dreading using them and having to pack them away when they're muddy and wet. Job for hubby, without a doubt:RollEyes:
Margaret::bigsmile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I just fling mine under the bed and forget about them till next time :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun