Automatic water pump, which one? (1 Viewer)

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
We would like to purchase an automatic water pump. I have to be honest and say I hate having to remember to turn the pump on for everything and also remembering to turn the pump off and so we would like to buy an automatic one.
The SHURFLO 45 PSI is available on ebay, would this be suitable or would you suggest any alternative?
Thanks.
Liz

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Liz...in a word...NO !

the pressure at 45psi will be too high for the plumbing in a eurovan.

a sureflo 20psi/30psi would be safer.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-MARINE-SHURFLO-WATER-PUMP/dp/B006J7OUEU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1"]30psi pump[/ame]

OR

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-MARINE-SHURFLO-WATER-PUMP/dp/B006J7SMFS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/CARAVAN-MARINE-SHURFLO-WATER-PUMP/dp/B006J7SMFS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2[/ame]

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You could fit an inline pressure switch to your existing plumbing.....does the same job and cheaper.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inline-Water-Pump-Pressure-Switch/dp/B005GLYUMW"]inline pressure switch [/ame]

Just google 12v inline pressure switch

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
We would like to purchase an automatic water pump. I have to be honest and say I hate having to remember to turn the pump on for everything and also remembering to turn the pump off and so we would like to buy an automatic one.
The SHURFLO 45 PSI is available on ebay, would this be suitable or would you suggest any alternative?
Thanks.
Liz

or an aqua 8, easily available

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks.
Liz

don't understand this question ..

Be they submersible or otherwise, all pumps have an on/off switch and all are automatic. ie .. water on demand, whether controlled by a pressure or micro-switch

They only need to be switched off when the van is unattended or when retiring to bed.

OP
OP
E

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
don't understand this question ..

Be they submersible or otherwise, all pumps have an on/off switch and all are automatic. ie .. water on demand, whether controlled by a pressure or micro-switch

They only need to be switched off when the van is unattended or when retiring to bed.

Our water does not come out of taps unless we turn the pump on manually so everytime we want to wash hands, flush loo etc we have to remember to turn the pump on and turn off. We don't leave the pump on permanently as it is extremely noisy and we were advised not to leave pump on unless it was in use. So we want a pump to kick in when we open the tap so we don't have to turn the pump on manually every single time, lazy I know but more convenient for us. Hope that makes more sense.

daveski

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Nu Venture
Exp
since May 2012
Our water does not come out of taps unless we turn the pump on manually so everytime we want to wash hands, flush loo etc we have to remember to turn the pump on and turn off. We don't leave the pump on permanently as it is extremely noisy and we were advised not to leave pump on unless it was in use. So we want a pump to kick in when we open the tap so we don't have to turn the pump on manually every single time, lazy I know but more convenient for us. Hope that makes more sense.
Thanks for the info, my main question was how do I get rid of the dirty water from the 'waste' tank..any ideas?...cheers, Daveski

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
from what you describe, your current pump is an automatic anyway. You turn the pump on with taps off and it runs till pressure has built up then switches off. open a tap and the pump will run until a few seconds after you turn off the tap

All pumps tend to be fairly noisy when running, so theres nothing to be gained. unless of course you have a leak in the system which need fixing

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks for the info, my main question was how do I get rid of the dirty water from the 'waste' tank..any ideas?...cheers, Daveski

look under the back or side of your van for a pipe and plastic tap. park over a drain and turn the valve on by twisting and it will drain the waste tank. you should have another too for the fresh tank

daveski

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Nu Venture
Exp
since May 2012
from what you describe, your current pump is an automatic anyway. You turn the pump on with taps off and it runs till pressure has built up then switches off. open a tap and the pump will run until a few seconds after you turn off the tap

All pumps tend to be fairly noisy when running, so theres nothing to be gained. unless of course you have a leak in the system which need fixing

Hi, thanks, the pump is fine [automatic], my question was How do I empty the waste water tank?....cheers, Daveski

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

it shouldn't work like that ..

each tap has a switch that starts and stops the pump ..

it sounds as if you have a dodgy microswitch in one of your taps .. ie it is permanently closed and making the pump run constantly while switched on.

the way to check is switch the pump 'on' then pull one wire off each tap in turn and see if it stops, do this with each tap until you find the offending switch ..

switches are cheap and quite easy to change .. check ebay ..

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Hello Liz, it sounds as though something is missing from the installation. It might help to know what sort of motorhome you have as "Fiat Ducato" describes the chassis, not the motorhome - and it is about the most common chassis used by the motorhome builders.

All pumps have an on/off switch. This is normally activated either by micro-switches attached to the taps or by a pressure-sensitive switch in the water pipeline. The micro-switch is a small electric switch that is activated by lifting the tap lever and connects current to the pump; the pressure switch senses a drop in pressure when a tap is opened and that turns on the pump. When you turn off the tap, if it has a micro-switch, that cuts the electricity; or if it is a pressure switch, that senses that pressure has built up because there is nowhere for the water to go, and that switches off the pump. In your case, it sounds as though there are no switches in the system, other than a manual one, and I can see that it would get a bit tiresome having to operate it every time you want water.

If you feel confident at DIY, it should be possible to install the required switch(es). It is possible that the switch(es) were there originally and have failed and that a previous owner has cut corners by installing a manual switch instead of fixing them (I'm assuming it's not a new van?). The most appropriate solution would depend on the present installation and layout. If you feel it is beyond your DIY skills you may need to contact one of the many excellent fitters that are members of 'Fun' and they can sort it out for you. Changing the pump type will not solve your problem, although a new pump may be advised once the installation is examined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Thanks for the reply .
It makes sense that the switch has gone wrong, however, our truck is an oldie, Fiat Ducato Mobilvetta 1995 so perhaps it was a manual pump all along?
Hubby is pretty good at DIY on the truck, would fitting the 12v pressure switch do the trick?
Liz

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If it were mine, I'd try and restore the original specification, so the solution depends on whether it had pressure or micro-switches. I cannot help with that I'm afraid, but perhaps there is another Funster with a Mobilvetta. Failing that, try one of the Funster general fitters for advice. Here are three that I am aware of - nearest to you first:
Mark at CLS http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk/
Ash Link Removed
Dave Newell http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

I have had work done by each of them and recommend them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back