From the other side of the world (1 Viewer)

ripeka

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Plannin 2 rent for 3 mths
Exp
Have left 3 adult children behind and treked across the planet to trip around Europe and UK for 9 months in a variety of accommodation with DH of 30 years. Planning on doing 3 months in a motor home (Germany, France, Spain and Portugal) so came on here hoping to poke around and get a few tips about motorhoming in Europe, good spots to stay etc.

We are experienced tenters and caravaners in NZ, and rented a motorhome last year for our summer holiday to check out what size we thought we could live with etc. Looking forward to our big motorhome adventure in Europe from late Aug to Nov 12.

Any camping ground advice and tips gratefully received. Anyone got some 'must stay' spots in any of those countries they would love to share:Smile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hi,

Welcome to Fun, this is the best place for advice, but unfortunately not from me, off on my first `proper` MH trip to France tomorrow.

Someone will be along soon to offer advice i`m sure.

have a great trip.

Steve

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Planning on doing 3 months in a motor home (Germany, France, Spain and Portugal)

Pah.

You come all this way and miss the best out !

Europe was formed by Rome, Italy. Miss that at your peril.

Spain, Portugal too hot for a lot of your stay, infested with the cheapo holiday crowd.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

ripeka

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Exp
Pah.

Spain, Portugal too hot for a lot of your stay, infested with the cheapo holiday crowd.

Big assumption you made there. As I posted, we have NINE months in Europe, three of which are in France, Spain and Portugal. already been to Turkey, Greece, Italy and currently in Croatia. So no, not missing too much out thanks.

Please qualify "too hot" and what that means for you. We have loved 32 degree days here in Croatia. Is Spain and Portugla hotter than than in mid Sept to mid Oct?

OP
OP
R

ripeka

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi,

Welcome to Fun, this is the best place for advice, but unfortunately not from me, off on my first `proper` MH trip to France tomorrow.

Someone will be along soon to offer advice i`m sure.

have a great trip.

Steve

Thanks Steve! May your trip go well too :Smile:. I have already enjoyed so much of what I have read on here, and found it quite helpful. Just thought that some people might have an absolute favourite spot here and there that they might like to point out but also wondering whether I should be posting elsewhere on this forum, so might try that, since this is the introductions thread. Cheers.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tena Koe, e hoa!

Try sitting on Rame Head and watching the Sun rise, then go and sit on Tintagel Head and see it set.

Magic!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Big assumption you made there.

Ah, damn, I've been KiWied. Not for the first time this month, have a relative over from NZ.

Spain in April is just hot enough for a Brit.

If you want "an experience" try Vilasol, Benidorm.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Pah.

Spain,[HI] Portugal too hot for a lot of your stay, infested with the cheapo holiday crowd[/HI].

Although I love him like a brother I cannot agree with young Brian here...

Ripeka... don't listen to only him (Hilldweller)...maybe his comments apply to the "popular" Algarve, close to Faro airport where they fly them into on the cheap booze and golf weeks...

but in real Portugal where I have spent YEARS (rather than a couple of weeks) there are gorgeous spots all over the place... packed with history, castles and the best Roman ruins in the WORLD outside Italy maybe...(quote from Head of Roman wotsits at the British Museum).

Not only great campsites but also hundreds of "off site" beachside and lakeside places as well as places up in the mountains... surfing all the way up the West coast... etc etc...

And some of the friendliest people in the world too...

JJ :Cool:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
JJ= Pakiha

Pakiha + Puha

in Hangi

= Yum! Yum!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The difficult part is decicing which sauce, Hollandaise? Tobassco? Working class Brown or Ketchup? Red or White Wine? A few Capers and Olives in a Cider Vinegrette?

We'll ask Frankie she is the cultured one:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back