French Motorway spped cameras.. oops! (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone know if it gets tracked back to the UK if flashed by a speed camera on the French motorways. got had on way down to Montpelier from Millau i swear i was only doing 65mph.. Honest Guv!! most certainly not over 70 mph so dont understand.. i was distracted by a french driver who overtook me and then braked hard... obviously to hide behind our van as he had seen the camera....:Doh:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Did read the other day about a company which has set up in the UK and is being used by countries abroad to collect motoring offence fines from Uk motorists. :cry:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
err hate to say this but there is a company over here that does chase motoring fines from Brits for our european cousins, so it will be a case of wait and see, they are based down in the london area, was only reading about it the other day and cant for the life of me remember where. It was a link on either a mhf or rvoc post and there was a sub link about this company.
Have found another link about it. and reading it , it looks like you might be lucky as it says france doesnt chase us for fines.
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/-b-no-escape-b-from-euro-fines/216527/

another more recent link about the company
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2719359/Parking-in-Europe-Fine....html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
ill report back if they get me... after pleading that it was the French driver overtaking that triggered the camera......:Blush::Blush:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
It was in a newspaper, It was about how much money they spent with the DVLA tracing drivers for most of the European countries and the fact it does not happen the other way round as their goverments will not divulge the driver details.
Its a British thing, we enforce the rules they don't thats why euro lorries get away with everything !!

Dave

Bee

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
speed cameras

As far as we are aware living in France the answer is yes they let the UK know they are one of the few countries that bothers to track foreign vehicles

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
any ideas what jurisdiction / legal standing these companies have???:Eeek:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I got my photo taken the other day in Germany and I'm hoping to hear no more about it.

I suppose I could launch a counter claim for being dazzled by the flash:ROFLMAO:

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
im hoping it will disappear into the ether as they say:Smile:. the luck weve had this last year they'll track me down and tear up my " credential":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well I guess it all depends if it is an automatic way of sending the fee to the owner or if somewhere there is a human interfering!

Most will be too lazy to bother ...feeling a form etc....in this case , you might never hear about it:thumb: .

Now if it is all automatic ....errrr.... move house !:roflmto:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Frankie... lets hope its a busy French administrator who desreves an extended lunch :thumb: if it automatic i'll speak nicely to our local postman too " return to sender, address unknown"! thats probaly given away my age now..:ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my understanding was they do chase

It is my understanding that they do chase the fine. By the way TFL does chase overseas trucks re the LEZ as well. They have agents all over europe.

Bob

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
whats their legal standing in UK? its not like they are the local police and have the UK law behind them. or am i just wishfull thinking:Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well Phil...

I was chatting to this bloke in a Portuguese bar who spoke good English and he told me that his French cousin's neighbour (an English man) had ignored a camera flash and six weeks later the French equivalent of the SAS arrived at his door at 4.30 am (they thought it was 5.30 am), smashed down that door with one of those door smashing thingies. They went off with his first born child, his dog and one of those strange looking kitchen implements used for squashing garlic...

If I were you I would drive back to France straight away... go to the Marie of the district concerned, confess and pay up...

Otherwise I fear you might be gassed in your sleep and when you wake up (with no headache) you will find your "A" frame and "Towed" have gone, along with your illegally filled gas bottles...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Well Phil...

I was chatting to this bloke in a Portuguese bar who spoke good English and he told me that his French cousin's neighbour (an English man) had ignored a camera flash and six weeks later the French equivalent of the SAS arrived at his door at 4.30 am (they thought it was 5.30 am), smashed down that door with one of those door smashing thingies, and went off with his first born child and his dog...

If I were you I would drive back to France straight away... go to the Marie of the district concerned, confess and pay up...

Otherwise I fear you might be gassed in your sleep and when you wake up (with no headache) you will find you "A" frame and "Towed" have gone along with your illegally filled gas bottles...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: i love it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: beter pay up then...:Angry: not out of France yet...... OH NO!!!! they'll be waiting at the entrance to the channel tunnel and get me:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
They can use european law to chase you

whats their legal standing in UK? its not like they are the local police and have the UK law behind them. or am i just wishfull thinking:Doh:

It may had slipped a lot of people's notice that we are part of the EEC.. and as such unless it is not compatible with domestic law then european law can apply.

While they cannot as yet have points put on your licence... that is coming... you can be sent a fine.

If you do not pay the fine it becomes a wants and warrant issue.. same as the USA.. I always pay my speeding fines in the USA or next time I go in I will be flagged up and have issues on arrival.

OK in Europe it does not work the same way, but it is recorded and if you are stopped then you have that issue outstanding and you do not need the aggro. So if a fine arrives, I would pay it.

Bob

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Well Phil...

I was chatting to this bloke in a Portuguese bar who spoke good English and he told me that his French cousin's neighbour (an English man) had ignored a camera flash and six weeks later the French equivalent of the SAS arrived at his door at 4.30 am (they thought it was 5.30 am), smashed down that door with one of those door smashing thingies. They went off with his first born child, his dog and one of those strange looking kitchen implements used for squashing garlic...

Otherwise I fear you might be gassed in your sleep and when you wake up (with no headache) you will find your "A" frame and "Towed" have gone, along with your illegally filled gas bottles...

Wow if that's what the French do, what do the Germans do?:Eeek:

Now I'm afraid, very afraid.:Eeek:

Pete:Cool:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
In a former life I was a professional HGV driver..(yes there are a few of us about)..I was one day speaking to one of the motorway policemen on the M25 after he asked me to pull over onto the hard shoulder to have a quick look over my truck..I did mention that the hard shoulder of a motorway is only to be used in EMERGENCIES and just wanting to check my vehicle did not constitue an emergency..that aside I asked about speeding fines for FOREIGN Drivers he said..we don't bother too much as the paperwork is too prohibitive and to chase the company when they just say the driver has moved on and we don't know where he is...

The pull over onto the hard shoulder was sorted with an apology from the police...first and last time!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back