Free Member
Apr 27, 2012
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone recommend a good sat nav , I've just read in this months mmm or perhaps it was practical motor home not sure but anyway I read that you can get a sat nav for trucks and motorhomes,is this wright or is it just a truck sat nav that's ok for motorhomes if you know what I mean, any advice would be much appreciated.thanks Dave Parkes.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Can anyone recommend a good sat nav , I've just read in this months mmm or perhaps it was practical motor home not sure but anyway I read that you can get a sat nav for trucks and motorhomes,is this wright or is it just a truck sat nav that's ok for motorhomes if you know what I mean, any advice would be much appreciated.thanks Dave Parkes.

Hi David
I bought a Snooper sat nav, u can input all your details of the MH in, to keep u on the right road. Peter

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
Tom tom have just bought one out. About £350 I think. They have always had a truck one (very expensive subscription) but now they are selling a bespoke one for motorhome, caravan etc. owners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have a Garmin 465T which I've just replaced with a tomtom 1005.
The truck mode on Garmin is useless

tomtom with world maps version 2 was £238 on Amazon with a £50 fuel cashback offer too

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
NO satnav can keep up with worldide local council changes etc to roads, ergo, as soon as you have bought a MH specific satnav, it is out of date.
In a recent post on this subject, the general concensus was, that you are possibly better of using i satnav of any make + one Phillips national map (or michelin of abroad) + one brain,.....................:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User

Buy a 2nd hand Garmin 775 approx £70 lifetime maps £80 around £150 hard to beat :thumb:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

Hi David, sat navs, loads to choose from and baffling. In my experience I tried a lot and settled for a Garmin. This allows you to feed in height, weight etc and was designed for the truck industry. I have used it for two years, mainly in Europe, and it has performed very weel compared with other brands I have wasted money on. My new van has a Garmin fitted in so I am selling my other unit.
Please check out the classifieds on this site to have a look.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Track down a tomtom xxl europe................dont pay monthly updates.
get one for around £118

Nice big screen.........and use it with a map ... treat it as a really useful aid
which it is not an excuse for lack of planning.

Mines been great but not infallible.

barry

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Just added tomtom to my iPad - really big display and constantly updated FOC asits an app. £79 for all europe

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
SNOOPER VENTURA S 5000 . Has loads of caravan sites programmed in with pictures. 5 inch screen , specially for motorhomes. Only fault is the connection to electric point cig lighter is loose. Just awaiting result of complaint about that.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Just added tomtom to my iPad - really big display and constantly updated FOC asits an app. £79 for all europe

Warning, I've just read reviews in the Apps store regarding this app, apparently it eats up data, one user found his account charges rose £300!! A spokesperson for Orange quoted one customer came home after using this app in Europe and found billing for £4000

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Warning, I've just read reviews in the Apps store regarding this app, apparently it eats up data, one user found his account charges rose £300!! A spokesperson for Orange quoted one customer came home after using this app in Europe and found billing for £4000

That's Apple for you... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We just bought the new tom tom 60. looks quite good. Bill very pleased with it. Will let you know how we get on with it.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Don't waste your money on a Snooper!!!

I'm getting mine ripped out to have it replaced with a proper system. The Snooper is rubbish on so many levels. And whatever you do - don't believe that it will stop you going down completely inappropriate roads. It won't!!! I have lots of photos and videos to prove it.

Also, the Snooper system is based completely on their truck system. So, if you want to avoid all the beautiful scenery and stick to nothing but A roads and motorways then it is perfect. It will NOT take you on a beautiful road of the same distance as it ALWAYS defaults to roads appopriate for trucks and as anyone knows our beloved motorhomes are NOT trucks and we're not truck drivers. We want to enjoy the journey and not just get from A to B.

Darklords is absolutely right when he says to go for a cheaper satnav, have a map (if needed), and use your brain.

Satnav prices have plummeted over the last year. You can now pick up a high end Garmin or Tom Tom for less than £200. They're far easier to update than the Snooper, come with a LOT more POIs, and are nicer to use - and are not made out of ultra cheap plastic.

Personally, I'd probably go for the Garmin, which seems to be the general concensus here. I just wanted to warn you off the Snooper as I have had so many problems with it, it's been a nightmare.

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Snooper

We have just returned from Le Mans France & the Snooper took us there very well. I was concerned about some bridge heigts around Rouen but the Snooper took us around these without issue. We 'detoured' on the way back whilst in France and we were again taken around without issue.

I would agree that at some point you may be routed to an unsuitable road, but our journey always starts from a forest track (where the RV lives) and if we are going to somewhere that is a bit off the beaten track it will guide you there too even if it is another track.

I have a Garmin on my bike, a Tom Tom in another vehicle and factory fit units in other vehicles, The Snooper is quite good but like the others you still need to plan before leaving & have a back up map book too.
As was mentioned here the cunning Local authorities do have a habit of changing things without telling me first.

Would I buy these units again - Yes as each does a particular task for that vehicle.

Regards

Arthur:thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
That's Apple for you... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

No JJ in this case that's Orange for you.

You pays your money to the phone company not Apple.

If one is loads an App., be it on Windoze, Adanoid, or Apple, that needs an internet connection via a phone, to work, and then is stupid enough to use it abroad, then one deserves all that one gets.

Pete:Cool:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Don't waste your money on a Snooper!!!

I'm getting mine ripped out to have it replaced with a proper system. The Snooper is rubbish on so many levels. And whatever you do - don't believe that it will stop you going down completely inappropriate roads. It won't!!! I have lots of photos and videos to prove it.

Also, the Snooper system is based completely on their truck system. So, if you want to avoid all the beautiful scenery and stick to nothing but A roads and motorways then it is perfect. It will NOT take you on a beautiful road of the same distance as it ALWAYS defaults to roads appopriate for trucks and as anyone knows our beloved motorhomes are NOT trucks and we're not truck drivers. We want to enjoy the journey and not just get from A to B.

Darklords is absolutely right when he says to go for a cheaper satnav, have a map (if needed), and use your brain.

Satnav prices have plummeted over the last year. You can now pick up a high end Garmin or Tom Tom for less than £200. They're far easier to update than the Snooper, come with a LOT more POIs, and are nicer to use - and are not made out of ultra cheap plastic.

Personally, I'd probably go for the Garmin, which seems to be the general concensus here. I just wanted to warn you off the Snooper as I have had so many problems with it, it's been a nightmare.

Hi ,Like ALL Satnavs they are meant as a guide to help when using your Common Sense.

I bought a SNOOPER five years ago for the reason it Was designed for Trucks because both my last two motorhomes were Left-Hand Drive and I have a Toad.

Like was said previously you can input the size of your vehicle and it will warn if you are unable to go under bridges etc. Like ALL satnavs they have there limitations but in all that time it has only lied to me twice, in both cases the Council had modified a junction, so you could say it was there fault. It does try to stick to A roads where ever possible but thats what I want, to get from A to B and I use the Toad to go sight seeing.

If I am in an unfamiliar area I consult the Bus Routes to give me a guide to suitability of the roads for large vehicles as my current vehicle is 29 foot long x 8 foot 6 ins wide x 11 foot high.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back