Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
My toilet cassette is leaking - not badly, and only when I take it out to empty it as the leak is around the seal plate where the sliding plate is.

I had a look yesterday and there are two set screws - I removed these expecting to be able to access the seal, but the plate didn't seem to want to come off - didn't want to get rough with it as it doesn't look very strong.

Am I missing something simple?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Assuming it's a Thetford, all the repair instructions are available in the link below. The plate securing the seal should come away quite easily. I think you have removed only the set screws that are visible at each end of the cover slot. There are more under the side cover plates which have to be prised off carefully - the plastic locating lugs can snap if you are too rough with them.

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/service/repair-instructions.aspx

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The good news is Johns Cross will sell you an overhaul pack with brand new cassette and give you a discount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is it a C250 by any chance?

Ours tends to spill a little on removal, but we have sussed out this is residue flush water which has gathered above the blade. A quick open and shut of the blade before removal sorts it out!

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Ours tends to spill a little on removal, but we have sussed out this is residue flush water which has gathered above the blade. [HI]A quick open and shut of the blade before removal sorts it out![/HI]

Beat me to it .......I was going to say the same.

If you forget to do this while it is still in place you can still operate the blade by placing cassette on the ground and turning the orange knob
BUT DON'T FORGET TO CLOSE IT AGAIN BEFORE UPENDING THE CASSETTE:Doh:
Brian

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Ours tends to spill a little on removal, but we have sussed out this is residue flush water which has gathered above the blade. A quick open and shut of the blade before removal sorts it out!

Same thing happens on my C200. I think a quick open and shut before removal is good practice for all of them.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Could be flush water, Mike, that has happened to me. However the seal can lose flexibility with age. Removing and cleaning it in warm water then rubbing it with olive oil can refresh it. They are pretty cheap to replace though. I think Hadrian & Teesside Caravans stock them.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
it is nice having a no handle waste system on the yank tanks
just pop a hose in to the drain and pull a lever no mess no smells and no struggling with a heavy full waste tank or the stinky spillages:Sad:)

when will the Euro vans catch up?
twenty years behind the times

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning

Thanks for the reply; it's not flush water (though what you have described does happen)

I took the empty cassette out, took it to the sink in the utility room at home and filled it with water, then stood it upright to observe that there is a small trickle from around the seal as described.

Now I know how to remove the seal I'll do as has been suggested by Graham, and probably replace it anyway as soon as practicable. It's not a big deal as it doesn't leak whilst in situ anyway.

Thanks to all who responded.

Mike

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Definitely worth replacing the seal as they get hard with age. Also worth buying an aerosol of Thetford Seal Lubricant - it's better than olive oil (but probably not for cooking) and can be used on many different rubber seals, not just the toilet. It keeps seals in excellent supple condition.

< Thetford Seal Lube >

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
just pop a hose in to the drain and pull a lever no mess no smells and no struggling with a heavy full waste tank or the stinky spillages:Sad:)

I've had more spills and leakages with a marine tank than I ever have with a cassette.:ROFLMAO: Given a choice I'd choose a cassette system every time, I like to empty little and often, rather than pay good money to cart it around with me.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Always knew Yanks were full of sh......... :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

Now that is an interesting observation. The Fifth Wheel Company originally had a Black Water Tank but switched to a cassette system.

I had one with the Black tank and frankly I much prefer the cassette system. If you are on a site for a long period and not near a disposal point, with a Black Tank system you have to move the whole vehicle to empty it.

Pete:Cool:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

I have a 25 year old Euro van and it has that system... no doubt the Yanks copied it... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OSOTOH

JJ :Cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back