Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My Hyundai car (Matrix 1.8) is just coming up to 9 years old... it has been well used to lug about Ezzie in it and the disabled scooters. It has done 80k miles and been in use most days.

We went to start it just before we were going to France on the bank holiday weekend and it would not start.. sod it.... battery cranked down and the engine flooded... Women (Sue as in SWMBO) just do not understand you do not pump the throttle up and down... anyway I eventually got it started and it seemed OK... would have changed the battery before we went, but the retaining strap holding the battery looked well and truly rusted (bolts wise).

I have on the RV (not in the sale price) a portable emergency jump starter battery unit.. so we loaded the trailer with the car and headed off to France.... It was OK, a couple times thought it was not going to start.. but we did all our trips out and the trip to the vets etc., Had the battery jump start unit in the car now. If it did not start I could always call ADAC.

Anyway, run the car down to the garage yesterday (used them for 15 years) left it with them... Yes the battery was the cause.. but it is interesting that the battery lasted 9 years.

I am somewhat impressed. Car is due for it's annual service end of July... but they did do a check on the plugs (replaced last July) and found nothing on the tester.. so with luck that is all it was...

We are going to bring the car to Rutland Water met.. only 120 miles from Tunbridge Wells.. I will drive the RV with the baby trailer on the back with my scooter and put Sue's scooter and the odds and ends in the car... that way we have a car to get off site as we need to while we are up at Rutland.

Any one else got a long life battery... NO:Blush: not an urban Smith like Buttons MPG:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .. a real story

Bob:Eeek:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Bob

My jag battery is 10 years old, 55 ,000 on the clock mostly short local trips, flat when we got back from Spain 4 months away, took a charge ok still starting well, Mr,s Smart car 5 years old needed a new battery, with 23 ,000 on the clock again on local trips, so just shows you never know when they will die. Peter :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a pair of American Everstart marine batteries dated 05-2000. One is in constant use on my 12volt bio pump and the other is now running a recently bought 3000 watt inverter charged by a solar relay from the leisure batteries for which I only use for herselfs hair dryer. This system was tested before I fitted it and ran the hair dryer for 15 minutes without the inverter shutting down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I needed a cheap/free emergency battery in a hurry so rang my Bro, a tyre, exhaust and battery fitter (among other things like a C&G qualified mechanic and an MOT tester)

"Yep, got one here, just removed from a car...tested as failing rapidly."

dont know how old it is but that battery eventually ended up on my 2.5ltr deisel Volvo for over a year...it was better than the one that was on :Eeek: even though of a lower capacity.

been stood in the garage for almost a year now, fully charged 6 months ago and still holding 12.5v today.

So, If anyone tells you your battery is knackered, don't always believe them...it could be their test gear at fault :Doh:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You gonna hope they get a delay in a new one so you can get away without paying for it Bob:ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
a few years ago i got a Bradford CF250 van that was 11 years old and had been stored up for the past nine years only 5K ON THE CLOCK
the battery was original and ran for another two years the owner stsrted the van every week and moved it on his long drive to keep it from freezing up

they don`t make em like they used too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My Hyundai car (Matrix 1.8) is just coming up to 9 years old... it has been well used to lug about Ezzie in it and the disabled scooters. It has done 80k miles and been in use most days.

We went to start it just before we were going to France on the bank holiday weekend and it would not start.. sod it.... battery cranked down and the engine flooded... Women (Sue as in SWMBO) just do not understand you do not pump the throttle up and down... anyway I eventually got it started and it seemed OK... would have changed the battery before we went, but the retaining strap holding the battery looked well and truly rusted (bolts wise).

I have on the RV (not in the sale price) a portable emergency jump starter battery unit.. so we loaded the trailer with the car and headed off to France.... It was OK, a couple times thought it was not going to start.. but we did all our trips out and the trip to the vets etc., Had the battery jump start unit in the car now. If it did not start I could always call ADAC.

Anyway, run the car down to the garage yesterday (used them for 15 years) left it with them... Yes the battery was the cause.. but it is interesting that the battery lasted 9 years.

I am somewhat impressed. Car is due for it's annual service end of July... but they did do a check on the plugs (replaced last July) and found nothing on the tester.. so with luck that is all it was...

We are going to bring the car to Rutland Water met.. only 120 miles from Tunbridge Wells.. I will drive the RV with the baby trailer on the back with my scooter and put Sue's scooter and the odds and ends in the car... that way we have a car to get off site as we need to while we are up at Rutland.

Any one else got a long life battery... NO:Blush: not an urban Smith like Buttons MPG:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .. a real story

Bob:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
this is a proper garage

You gonna hope they get a delay in a new one so you can get away without paying for it Bob:ROFLMAO:

This is a proper garage.. have had an account with them for 15 years.. MOT station as well, family run (I do there legal work)... there can be a milk float or a tractor in the yard or a modern car... but they collect and deliver. If they say the battery has had it then it is... all said and done they have been servicing this car since the warranty run out and they have an open cheque to do what needs to be done on my cars... These people know about meeting deadline and keep to it. Plus they do the work at a reasonable price. I certain would not be going there all these years otherwise. They are mechanics not fitters.

Bob:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back