Dometic fridge/freezer problems (1 Viewer)

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Hi

Just started to play around with the Dometic RM 4231 (RM 4233) fridge/freezer in my Hymer today and have a few issues.

Firstly, I tried running it on LPG. As per the instructions I did the following:

- Opened all LPG valves
- Turned mains and 12v switch on the fridge off
- Turned the gas control on the fridge to max
- Turned the electric ignitor switch on (I heard a clicking at the switch was flashing)
- Held in the gas control knob and the thing fired up. I could see a flame in the sight glass and the electric ignitor switch was now off.
- Kept the knob depressed for around 10-20 seconds.
- Let go of the knob....

at this point the flame goes out in the sight glass and the ignitor starts clicking again.

I tried holding in for longer as this is the first time I've used it but no luck.

The gas seems to be getting to the appliance and the ignitor ignites it but it just won’t stay lit. Am I missing something or is something broke?

Next I tried running it from 12v as an alternative (I wouldn't run for long like this but just wanted to try):

- Turned off gas switch and mains switch
- Turned on 12v switch....

nothing happened. Left it for half an hour, checked the voltage on the leisure battery and it hadn't moved at all. The fridge was warm too.

Again, am I missing something? All other 12v bits in the back work so the isolation switch in the front is not affecting it. Does the van need to be running for the 12v part of the fridge to work?

I'm on a hook up over the weekend so will try the mains option but without LPG or 12v everything’s gonna get a bit warm on the way to the site

Cheers!!

Cheers!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
gas not staying lit.........the thermocouple sounds shot, or has been dislodged from the pilot flame, as it works when the gas knob is depressed. (thermocouple over-riden)
new thermocouple needed.

12v operation......the fridge only works on 12v when the engine is running....it will not work on 12v at any other time.
it is purely to maintain a pre cooled temperature when on the move and wont cool the fridge from warm.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have been learning how to use my fridge in the Hymer, as i understand 12v only works with the engine running for travelling, my mains hook up works fine.::bigsmile:
When you try the gas have you removed the outside vent cover as it will not run with this on.:Doh:
You can leave both the 12v and mains switches in the on position all the time as it will take which ever option is available.
I was also told that the gas side could be left lined up then if the mains failed on site then the gas would take over, but not 100% sure as i've not tried that.

Sure there will be more experienced people on soon who will know for sure.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Thanks for all the replies.

As mentioned, yes, the fridge seemed to work fine on 12v when the engine was running (red 12v switch lit up). We went to a site this weekend with hook up and once hooked up it also ran fine on 240v (green 240v switch lit up).

Funnily enough, once I'd run over night on 240v I decided to try the gas option again and this time it worked fine. Held the gas button in for about 10 seconds and this time the pilot light stayed lit. Didn't run it for long but next weekend there'll be no hook up so only time will tell.

I also noticed it's fine to leave both 12v and 240v switches on and it seems to take whatever is available. I can't see how the gas option can kick in if 240v fails as every time I switch the gas switch on it starts trying to ignite by constantly clicking. It seems the gas switch can only be on if you are going to use the gas there and then.

Cheers!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It could have been a little damp.It may have needed drying out/warming up which once left on hook up it would have done so -I once washed the van giving the vent a good squirt with the hose then turned it on gas,it failed to light twice but then caught and has not failed since.So now I watch where I squirt the hose :Smile:
terry

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Don't panic! It might be the thermocouple but more often than not its the contacts in the energy selector switch. The thermocouple connects to the gas valve solenoid via the energy selector switch and the contacts can become tarnished with age resulting in a high resistance and the gas won't stay alight. Try rapidly moving the energy selector switch through the full range of its movement a few times the ntry lighting the gas again, sometimes a "wiggle" (techy term) on the energy selector switch when in gas position will help.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't panic! It might be the thermocouple but more often than not its the contacts in the energy selector switch. The thermocouple connects to the gas valve solenoid via the energy selector switch and the contacts can become tarnished with age resulting in a high resistance and the gas won't stay alight. Try rapidly moving the energy selector switch through the full range of its movement a few times the ntry lighting the gas again, sometimes a "wiggle" (techy term) on the energy selector switch when in gas position will help.

D.
Thanks Dave, that has just got me right out the “cart”. Did what you have explained and hey presto!!!!! Brilliant. Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back