Water pump is kapput! (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Can someone guide me as to things I should check to try and get my pump operational again?

The symptoms are: I have no running water (plenty in the tank); the pump seems to be drawing power (lights dim if I flick the switch); it makes no clicky pumping sound but the top of it gets hot.

Any ideas?

It says it's a Shurflo diaphragm pump on it.

Thanks!

Jamie.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hit it with a hammer :thumb: if it don't work take it off and hit it harder then go buy a new one
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I did hit it. I hit it with the torch; a spanner; and finally the big windy handle for the back legs. :thumb:

No effect.

I just tried the hammer too. It's not having any of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Is there a slot for a screw driver at the rear of the motor to try and manually turn it

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Don't carry much in the way of spares, but although never needed it, I always carry a spare pump. I can see the picture now.

"Sorry darling, you can't have a shower the pumps bust." :hardhat::boxing::swear:"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Well, I've got it off. It looks pretty manky - I think it may be beyond a clean and reassemble.

But I'll give it a shot, if it works it saves me buying a new one.

If I do need a new one, should I replace it with the same? This is a 30 psi model - any reason not to upgrade to a 40 psi? That going to give me a better shower dribble isnt it?

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We changed our Shurflo pump a few months ago. We were advised to replace like with like as the extra pressure could blow the pipework joints apart.

Brisey.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not really,30psi is ample :thumb: Some are adjustable but if you were happy with 30 or not that much difference the 40 -Don't forget the pipes are under pressure :winky:Not too big as you may find pipe blowing off all over the place ::bigsmile:
terry
EDIT Brisey great minds :winky:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
It's probably just the motor brushes that need replacing but you might as well just buy a new pump when you see the price of the replacement part:

Link Removed

:Eeek:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's probably just the motor brushes that need replacing but you might as well just buy a new pump when you see the price of the replacement part:

Link Removed

:Eeek:
different pump.....

THIS NEW END BELL BRUSH KIT 240V FOR SHURFLO WATER PUMPS.

its gone faulty so even if you get it working it will go faulty again...SOON.

better to bite the bullet and replace it now than have it fail on site when you need it.

Upvote 0

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
different pump.....

THIS NEW END BELL BRUSH KIT 240V FOR SHURFLO WATER PUMPS.

its gone faulty so even if you get it working it will go faulty again...SOON.

better to bite the bullet and replace it now than have it fail on site when you need it.

I noticed that but I'm sure it used to be possible to buy the end plate for 12V pumps at a similar price. Looking at the Shurflo website, though, it looks like you can only buy the whole motor.

I remember when you could buy a couple of brushes for 50p from the local electrical suppliers and file them to size :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Well, new pump ordered from eBay shop (sorry Peter, would gladly order from you, but even after Funster discount, can't argue with 57 quid delivered).

I decided to replace with the same 30 PSI - a bit of extra pressure would be nice, but I really don't want to risk blowing any pipes off! And I know my van, she would do that to me, almost certainly, it's an attention thing I think :ROFLMAO:.

So 30 PSIs is fine with me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back