LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all you experts out there Ann has decided we need a I pad or something along the same lines.She intends to use it in free wi fi spots in the van -but really she means she wants one for the house ::bigsmile:Are there alternatives worth looking at ? From my very very very limited knowledge on them I think I pads only use Apple stuff thus eliminating all my mp3s etc (thinking of in the van :winky:) Do they take memory sticks and play films via the tv or what ? As I said know next to nothing about them -Any recommendations ? or links for cheapest place to buy ?(NOT PROMISING TO BUY JUST THINKING::bigsmile:)She keeps thinking of me doing another van so :winky:::bigsmile:
thanks terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The alternative is one of the many Android tablets.

Basically very similar but without Apple's "do it my way or else" attitude and pricing.

Here are a few.....

I have the Asus, can't fault it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 from Carphone Warehouse about a month ago. After 3 days Jill was so impressed that she bought one too ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I was anti ipad for ages and had an android tablet.
But the ipad works so much better, yes a couple of drawnbacks like no usb plug in or flash player but for operation and easy of use go ipad. As big memory a memory as your wallet can stand.. Lots of used ones about.
Ref .mp3 music and video files they can be loaded and played. .avi needs an application like goodplayer but once on it works fine.
If you go Android you get what you pay for. Make sure its a capacitive screen ! The top ones are good, Samsung, Motorola etc

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh god they do 7 ins and 10 ins :thumb: What is ice cream and honeycomb ?IS the A 8 processor not as good as the A9 or quad core ?Do I need this lot to surf the net and play a memory stick film ? Following Admin Bryans post anybody upgrading ?::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I was anti ipad for ages and had an android tablet.
But the ipad works so much better, yes a couple of drawnbacks like no usb plug in or flash player but for operation and easy of use go ipad. As big memory a memory as your wallet can stand.. Lots of used ones about.
Ref .mp3 music and video files they can be loaded and played. .avi needs an application like goodplayer but once on it works fine.
If you go Android you get what you pay for. Make sure its a capacitive screen ! The top ones are good, Samsung, Motorola etc

Can you explain please ?
also Graham is the samsung 2 7 a 7 ins screen -she has already said 10 ins wanted :Doh:
I like Samsung phones simply because I can work them ::bigsmile::Sad:
terry

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
if your after an i pad for traveling or at home

go to an apple shop
and bore em to death with your questions
you can also get refurbs direct from apple
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

dont forget you can get them from phone shops on mobile plans

obviousley works out dear but less cash up front
bit like h.p

myself i have an i pad 2, 3g
in case the bt wires are stolen again
mrs t has an
original
which i found not as good as the i pad 2

i have my music stored on the i pad mac and i phone
yes i am a recent convert to apple
i just find there stuff easier to get along with

i tried other gadgetts
but failed to get them to work using
microsoft puters

i have not tried any other tablet
to compare with

if you decide on a pad john lewis give 2 year guarantee
i dont think you will find any price variation between
at the shed shops currys comet type
as apple lock em down
all the best in your serches

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Can you explain please ?
also Graham is the samsung 2 7 a 7 ins screen -she has already said 10 ins wanted :Doh:
I like Samsung phones simply because I can work them ::bigsmile::Sad:
terry

Most are capacitive screens now - more responsive than resistive.

Yes, our Tabs are 7 inch screen.

Best way to compare is to visit Comet, Currys/PC World & Carphone Warehouse to play with the display models. That's what we did.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Terry

I have an iPad 3 or so so called

Do not have the 3G as I will use iPhone via wireless or tether

As to not using mp3 and the like without iTunes well there is usually a way around it, I have over 1,500 not as many through iTunes, but they are all on iPhone and most on iPad

For example apple does not play flash files, I can using iswifter app, cost £2.99 but well worth it.

I am no expert either, just do a search and most can be resolved

Me..........I like it

Steve

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh god they do 7 ins and 10 ins :thumb: What is ice cream and honeycomb ?IS the A 8 processor not as good as the A9 or quad core ?Do I need this lot to surf the net and play a memory stick film ? Following Admin Bryans post anybody upgrading ?::bigsmile:
terry

It's a pity the geeks who write Android get to name them. Ice Cream Sandwich is simply Android 4, the latest. You don't want 2 but 3 is OK.

7" or 10", it's a compromise. 7" more portable, 10" for the Specsaver generation.

Obviously quad core is better than dual, but my dual is plenty fast enough to watch movies. Gives about 8 hours use which is very impressive. Runs a Kindle app and other book readers. Many do not plug in a memory stick, my Asus uses a micro SD card, so up to 32G or 30 hours of movies if you wish. You can load it by removing it, by WiFi or USB to/from a PC.

Only pain is finger marks, common to all of course.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Only pain is finger marks, common to all of course.

That's true. My wife bought me a little cleaning kit that is really neat. It was from Amazon, aboout £6 and made by Muck Off. you get a little bottle of spray muck off and a cloth t.o clean the screen. All folds up into a tiny case that is very portable.

Highly recommended:thumb:

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Hi Steve. As a complete dumbo when it comes to computers, laptops etc I was very cautious on the iPad 2 with 3g purchase. What a surprise, it is easy to use and if you have any problems about anything on it just go into the Apple store and it is sorted free! If you really want to be a whizz kid for a reasonable one-off fee you can have weekly one to one training. I have a rolling contract with 'Three' for £15 a month which gives me all the downloads I need in the middle of a field eliminating the need for campsite etc wifi which is increasingly expensive on site. Hope this helps.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi all you experts out there Ann has decided we need a I pad or something along the same lines.She intends to use it in free wi fi spots in the van -but really she means she wants one for the house ::bigsmile:Are there alternatives worth looking at ? [HI]From my very very very limited knowledge on them I think I pads only use Apple stuff thus eliminating all my mp3s etc (thinking of in the van :winky:) [/HI] Do they take memory sticks and play films via the tv or what ? As I said know next to nothing about them -Any recommendations ? or links for cheapest place to buy ?(NOT PROMISING TO BUY JUST THINKING::bigsmile:)She keeps thinking of me doing another van so :winky:::bigsmile:
thanks terry

I have built up a very large collection of mp3s over the years. Over time I have also converted most of my CD collection onto mp3 on my desktop/laptop.

I have only ever bought 2 songs from iTunes. There is no problem putting mp3's onto the ipad, ipod or iphone. I have all 3, and they all sync automatically from iTunes on my laptop via wi-fi.
So if I add some songs to my playlists they automatically add on to all my devices.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Don't know what your computer stash is at the moment, but if you dont have a lap top then go the whole hog and treat yourselves to an Ultrabook. It is a laptop but as thin as paper with more power that the Apollo rocket and excellent battery life. Runs windows with solid state drives and is as fast as lightning.:thumb:
As far as the Android tablets go, the Xoom is a good bit of kit.
See link for ultrabooks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you do want an iPad, you can pick up a refurbished iPad direct from apple for £259 delivered (plus £5 off via Quidco). I ordered one last night.

They've sold out now, but they do come up ever couple of weeks. Same 12 month warranty as a new one.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FC979

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't know what your computer stash is at the moment, but if you dont have a lap top then go the whole hog and treat yourselves to an Ultrabook. It is a laptop but as thin as paper with more power that the Apollo rocket and excellent battery life. Runs windows with solid state drives and is as fast as lightning.:thumb:
As far as the Android tablets go, the Xoom is a good bit of kit.
See link for ultrabooks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrabook

Now come on Buttons you know I am a tight git from Yorkshire ::bigsmile: Although the UB sounds nice it is not a pad thingy and she wants a pad thingy :Smile: I had a all singing and dancing Toshiba laptop (about 19 ins ,harmon kardon ? speakers) a few yrs back that cost 1800 quid :Eeek: we intended to use that in the van as a sort of tv comp entertainment centre all in one but it sat around for about 3 yrs getting used about 1 a month at home until I gave my mate it who gave me this HP micro comp I am on now ::bigsmile:It's reliable and does what I want it to even though it may not be the fastest thing about It does me.I stopped chasing latest tech yrs ago :thumb: hence knowing nothing about Tablets :Doh:Indeed I could not remember at the time of posting they were called Tablets :Doh:::bigsmile:
What she needs,rather wants is to basically surf the net,large enough to see (hence 10 ins) but still small. It is me that thinks it should have some form of connectivity-pen drive etc to play movies via the tv in the van :Smile:
It may be a bit early but it will do as her birthday and xmas pressy in one -did not get her anything last yr or yrs before so it will do for this yr :ROFLMAO:-told you I was a tight git :winky:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What's this look like for spec ?
• 10.2-inch TFT LCD resistance touch screen

• 1024 x 600 pixels display resolution

• Android 4.0 operating system

• CPU: Cortex A9 1GHz

• RAM: DDR2 1GB

• WiFi: 54Mbps 802.11B/G

• Lan: 10/100M Ethernet Access

• Built-in Micro-SD card slot up to 32GB

• Built-in G-Sensor

• Supports external 3G devices.

• Built-in 1.3 megapixels digital camera

• Built-in 8GB memory

• Plays AVI,RM/ RMVB,FLV,MPG4 - 1,MPEG – 2 video format files

• Plays MP3,WMA,AAC,AC3,WAV audio format files

• Picture browsing of JPEG,BMP,GIF,PNG,TIFF format files

• Built-in 7000mAh Li-poly battery

• 3.5mm earphone socket

• 2 x USB ports

. 1 x RJ45 Ethernet port

. 1x HDMI port

. 2 X 1 Watt speakers

• Android keyboard and Google keyboard input

• Multi-language support

. Battery Life: 6-8 Hours

ZENITHINK not heard of the brand but its deffo cheap ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What's this look like for spec ?
• 10.2-inch TFT LCD resistance touch screen
::bigsmile:

Resistance NO NO.

Must be a capacitive touch screen or you can't multi touch.

I have an old one of these, it got me hooked on Android but it's too slow.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
capacitive touch screen - Cheers Brian it went over my head the first time you said it :thumb:
will search again ::bigsmile: Rest of spec OK then ?
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Found Link Removed
??????
and Link Removed
????????????
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Found Link Removed
??????
and Link Removed
????????????
terry

The £180 obviously has the best spec. Both seem to lack GPS, so no accurate navigating. Low resolution camera.

I've no idea of the quality or reliability but a lot of tablet for the money.

Sanei N10 is on Amazon £20 cheaper.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDyyRkI002g[/ame]

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Brian so are you saying I can have sat nav on as well ?:Eeek: that's something else for me to look out for :Smile:
What do I need if not in a wifi spot ? My mobi I can get 500 mb free data can I get a cable to connect from mobi to tablet ? or do I have to get a dongle ? sorry for all the qs but I did say I know nothing about them :Smile:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian so are you saying I can have sat nav on as well ?

My mobi I can get 500 mb free data
terry

With a GPS equipped tablet there are a few options for sat nav. Some need a data link, one program is stand alone.

"mobi" ? You mean mobile phone ? An Android mobile phone will link to a tablet by USB or WiFi. Don't know about others. Otherwise a MiFi is the obvious choice.

You thought it was easy - go buy a tablet :RollEyes:

You really need to focus on what you need one for 90% of time, no point in buying things you'll hardly use.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think I had better have a trip to pc world,curry's and comet :Doh:and play ::bigsmile: Hopefully I will find a spotty wizz kid
terry

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I think I had better have a trip to pc world,curry's and comet :Doh:and play ::bigsmile: Hopefully I will find a spotty wizz kid
terry

Don't forget apple shop they will bore you first
it takes em hours till they give up
I managed three before they gave up
As I couldn't decide mac or laptop

Then bought my mac

Took 5mins when I bought I pad
as I'd had a little go when allowed :Eeek:
On mrs ts :thumb:

Last edited:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Terry::bigsmile:

Don't be a tight git all your life.

Buy the best

Buy her an iPad, I guarantee that she will love it::bigsmile:

And she will love you even more for buying it for her::bigsmile:

So easy to use and so gorgeous

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Terry

Go to an apple shop as they know more and can give a better demonstration

You will not get any discount from any store on apple products, do not buy accessories in the stores either.

I have bought all from ebay

I like to watch football streaming on a large screen, also films and the like. You do not need all these accessories but it gives you an idea of what you can do and the lesser price you pay.

See in no particular order

Link Removed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=270982180057&view=all&tid=918043645017

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

If you bought genuine apple products the prices are mind blowing

Good luck with the search

Steve

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Now come on Buttons you know I am a tight git from Yorkshire ::bigsmile: Although the UB sounds nice it is not a pad thingy and she wants a pad thingy :Smile: I had a all singing and dancing Toshiba laptop (about 19 ins ,harmon kardon ? speakers) a few yrs back that cost 1800 quid :Eeek: we intended to use that in the van as a sort of tv comp entertainment centre all in one but it sat around for about 3 yrs getting used about 1 a month at home until I gave my mate it who gave me this HP micro comp I am on now ::bigsmile:It's reliable and does what I want it to even though it may not be the fastest thing about It does me.I stopped chasing latest tech yrs ago :thumb: hence knowing nothing about Tablets :Doh:Indeed I could not remember at the time of posting they were called Tablets :Doh:::bigsmile:
What she needs,rather wants is to basically surf the net,large enough to see (hence 10 ins) but still small. It is me that thinks it should have some form of connectivity-pen drive etc to play movies via the tv in the van :Smile:
[HI]It may be a bit early but it will do as her birthday and xmas pressy in one -did not get her anything last yr or yrs before so it will do for this yr :ROFLMAO:-told you I was a tight git[/HI] :winky:
terry
Love your style Terry, we must have a lot in common. The UB is fantastic but not on my shopping list either. The Ipad is also great for women and of course Apple enthusiasts. :winky: My son in the states has an Xoom and speaks highly of it but if she has her mind set on an Ipad then dont resist, just say yes dear.:thumb: I know my place too.:winky:
Take a look at John Lewis on line not sure if any deals but worth a try:thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back