Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Got back from France on Saturday to find the dreaded RV insurance renewal on the mat.

Hey.. it has gone down.... Safeguard.. now that is a first... ok I have an extra years NCB.. I read the documents and not also there could be a reduction in the policy for the usual things like club membership etc., but a new one on the list of a back up camera or sensors.

So I call them with the debt card in hand to renew for the 2nd July.. and ask about the discount on the backup camera I have.. yes another £20 came of the renewal. So this year I got the policy for £536.00 on my 23'9" Winnebago. not bad.:Smile:

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
From the title to the thread I thought you meant your fuel gauge::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
so not only is a RV dear to run it's also dear to insure,mine is £204 fully comp with 365 euro cover:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
No treacle that is full

From the title to the thread I thought you meant your fuel gauge::bigsmile:

Silly boy...... no it is the insurance that went down, not the fuel tank... that is FULL as is the LPG and that is the way it gets sold .. ready to roll ..... as the Americans say TURN KEY ready....even the fridge on and freezer... it can be driven away and camped... just load the food. Even the bedding is supplied (if required) -2 massive duvalays with spare covers.

Fuel as you know £450 worth.. not like when we collected it we had to take a couple of 5 gallon cans as it did not have enough to get to the nearest petrol station.

While I want to sell it, I also believe in that the other person who is part of the deal should know that there is no hidden secrets and that they can use it from the start. I am bound to meet up with them someday on a camp site or at a show or met. While it is a private sale it is done in my view with honour and not just sign here and clear off. Our RV has been part of our lives and it is important that the next person gets that love passed on.

Soppy may be, but it is the ethos I work to.. always have done, and will always do in the future.

Yesterday the buyer of the trailer had problems connecting the electrics up.. he knew they worked as the trailer was on my car when we went to the local supermarket to switch it from the car to his motorhome .. but would not work when connected.. I did not just go.. stayed until we sorted out the problem with his plug.. he went away knowing everything about the trailer and it all worked. That is the way deals are done in my book.

Bob:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
BUT Bob - you haven't really answered the question - seriously - why on earth is it so expensive to insure?

Is it because it's American? Do all American RVs cost silly money to keep legal like that? ie insurers perceiving rightly or wrongly that spares will cost them an arm and a leg (whereas they probably really spend more money replacing Fiat door mirrors than they ever would repairing RVs)

Everybody loves their motorhome Bob, according to their own lights that is.

You'd probably turn some vans down out of hand, if you knew the owners smoked - in the same way that I'd do exactly the same to any one you'd owned, purely and simply because of that big slobby Ezzie.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
BUT Bob - you haven't really answered the question - seriously - why on earth is it so expensive to insure?

Is it because it's American? Do all American RVs cost silly money to keep legal like that? ie insurers perceiving rightly or wrongly that spares will cost them an arm and a leg (whereas they probably really spend more money replacing Fiat door mirrors than they ever would repairing RVs)

Everybody loves their motorhome Bob, according to their own lights that is.

You'd probably turn some vans down out of hand, if you knew the owners smoked - in the same way that I'd do exactly the same to any one you'd owned, purely and simply because of that big slobby Ezzie.
Ouch!!!!......:whatthe:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Not ouch at all. I know how 'hurtful' it feels if you truly love something and others dismiss it, just don't appreciate whatever it is.

I'm being 100% realistic - that's all.

I reckon 'toys' and 'goodies' on a van are about the same as stuff you do to your house. Two houses exactly the same - one has just had a new C/H system fitted, cost what? - £5k. Would you get £5k extra for it when you sell it? Nope. Just maybe sell it faster than the one next door that hasn't. Or a £30,000 loft conversion, you will get a bit more, but won't get £30k more for having that room cos you now have a smaller landing anyway, and if we bought the house next door, we could spend £30k ourselves and have it done to our own exact spec.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is 9'11" on the mirrors

Can I just ask how wide is this 23' 9" American MH....
Thanks

It is 9' 11" on the mirrors which fold in.. it is the standard RV size.. about 102" if I recall on the widest part.... Being a B class the mirrors fold in fully.. ADAC will recover this as it is within there size.

Bob... by the way it is now listed on ebay and I have put a post on with the link.:Blush:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It is not expensive by RV standards

Not ouch at all. I know how 'hurtful' it feels if you truly love something and others dismiss it, just don't appreciate whatever it is.

I'm being 100% realistic - that's all.

I reckon 'toys' and 'goodies' on a van are about the same as stuff you do to your house. Two houses exactly the same - one has just had a new C/H system fitted, cost what? - £5k. Would you get £5k extra for it when you sell it? Nope. Just maybe sell it faster than the one next door that hasn't. Or a £30,000 loft conversion, you will get a bit more, but won't get £30k more for having that room cos you now have a smaller landing anyway, and if we bought the house next door, we could spend £30k ourselves and have it done to our own exact spec.

The insurance is not expensive by RV standards.. remember the RV is insured for the value in the mid £30k's and it is with safeguard that include full European recovery and that is very comprehensive and no limits .. same on the window glass I have just £100 excess but no limits on the glass.. I know Dodgy had a £5k front screen replaced last year..

I can get cheaper insurance, but it is the extras that are included that matter to me, and that is the European cover as we go over to Europe several times a year.

Horses for courses..... by the way it is listed now on Ebay

bob:Blush:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi

We were told by our insurance company that left hand drive vehicles which is what RVs are have their insurance 'loaded' because more accidents happen with left hand drive vehicles they say, when Mick pointed out that when we go sur le continent we are on the right side of the road so therefore our european insurance should be cheaper and right hand drive vehicles should pay more. The comment from the insurance people was oh never thought about that !!

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
never been told that

Hi

We were told by our insurance company that left hand drive vehicles which is what RVs are have their insurance 'loaded' because more accidents happen with left hand drive vehicles they say, when Mick pointed out that when we go sur le continent we are on the right side of the road so therefore our european insurance should be cheaper and right hand drive vehicles should pay more. The comment from the insurance people was oh never thought about that !!

I have never been told that myself.. in fact LHD is just as easy as a RHD vehicle I have found... and I have been driving them now for 25 years.. my car is RHD and I just go from one to the other.

The main thing as far as I know is the value of many RV's some well over £100k or even double that and the repairs can be expensive as can the glass. But it is the fact Safeguard have the super deluxe recovery out of europe... The C&CC when I checked last year were £200 appox less, while Adrian Flux was about £200 more.. this is fine with me.

As I have the RV up for sale .. so I can suspend the policy until the new RV arrives. But as the value is higher I suspect I will get an extra bill for the rest of the year.

Bob:Blush:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its gone down cause there are so many for sale the value has hit rock bottom at the moment so its only worth about 3/4 of what it was last year:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back