Campsite with sat TV at pitch (1 Viewer)

Dugsy

Free Member
Mar 30, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
1 year
Does anyone know a campsite in France or Spain near the Pyranees with sat TV plug in at the pitch? Want to watch the Olympics and don't have a dish.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Sorry, we have toured France and Spain for many years and have never had a TV hook up of any dascription. The only way is to splash out on your own system, expensive but depends on how desperate you are to see the games. Good luck in your hunt and if you find any let us all know.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt you will find one.

it would be a very complicated set-up to deliver individual programming to individual pitches...if its possible at all.

each receiver will need its own LNB connection OR every pitch would receiver the same channel via a common receiver and individual hookup points

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I too have not seen this on a campsite. It would be pretty expensive to install and you still need to have your own sat receiver in the van.

On the ship we have one 1.8m gyro stabilised dish with a quatro (not quad) lnb.
They system is auto tracking, and even keeps locked on when we are rolling heavily in bad weather.

The signal from the lnb comes in to a multiswitch unit, which has 24 outputs via individual coax cables to the messrooms and the cabins. So we can watch 24 different channels in different cabins at the one time from one dish/lnb. Our multiswitch unit similar to this cost about €180.

Link Removed

Everyone onboard has their own sat receiver in their cabin, so they can choose whatever channels they like. I have a Sky box with card in my cabin, so I can get the full Sports package.

For the OP I would suggest a cheap option to watch the Olympics would be to get a sat dish and tripod and set it up manually. After a bit of practice only takes a couple of minutes to set up. This could be purchased for about £30 or so, plus a 12V sat receiver box for about the same. Total outlay about £60 and you have sat TV.....:thumb:

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
They mange it at Zahora (Pinar San Jose) we get English TV as well as Spanish from the plug on the bollard when we are there in the winter. And before anyone asks, yes it is via satellite.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
They mange it at Zahora (Pinar San Jose) we get English TV as well as Spanish from the plug on the bollard when we are there in the winter. And before anyone asks, yes it is via satellite.

On their Zahora setup, am I right in thinking you do not use your own sat receiver?

Do you just plug in your coax to their TV point and tune your TV. You will then get the channels the campsite is distributing through their system. You have no choice other than the channels they provide.

We used to have a similar setup if that is the case. We had an old analogue sat receiver which could be tuned into 10 different channels, which were then distributed by the coax RF antenna system.

The system could actually receive all channels, but only distribute a fixed number (eg 10) which you get on your TV via the normal coax antenna in.

This type of system is often used on passenger ships and in hotels, you just get a limited amount of channels and can only watch the channels they have chosen.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Go to a local sports bar,there are other advantages.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does anyone know a campsite in France or Spain near the Pyranees with sat TV plug in at the pitch? Want to watch the Olympics and don't have a dish.

Pitstop's beloved Zahora does, Marjal did. Both a bit far south but shows it can be done.

However the Olympics are global so you will be able to view them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
On their Zahora setup, am I right in thinking you do not use your own sat receiver?

Do you just plug in your coax to their TV point and tune your TV. You will then get the channels the campsite is distributing through their system. You have no choice other than the channels they provide.

We used to have a similar setup if that is the case. We had an old analogue sat receiver which could be tuned into 10 different channels, which were then distributed by the coax RF antenna system.

The system could actually receive all channels, but only distribute a fixed number (eg 10) which you get on your TV via the normal coax antenna in.

This type of system is often used on passenger ships and in hotels, you just get a limited amount of channels and can only watch the channels they have chosen.

Yes just as you describe but we got the main UK channels. If I remember rightly you had to re-tune your TV via freeview to access all their channels so I guess they were distributed as a digital signal.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
OP
OP
D

Dugsy

Free Member
Mar 30, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
1 year
Sat TV at pitch

Thanks for the info everyone. We have seen tv at the pitch at Vidor (best camp ever visited in 2 years on the road) in the Dolomites, Marjal near Alicante and La Torreta in Benidorm so it can be done. We just want to be in the Pyrenees in July.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back