Towing (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Recently I posted a thread regarding tow or trailer which was the best as my wife is disabled and we need some form of transport.
After a lot of good replies I decided to use a trailer, however it was then pointed out that my hymer b694 has a GVW of 4k and a GTW of 4.8k allowing only 800k to tow.:Sad::Sad:

The boss was not to happy with this saying I should have done my homework before buying.:Blush::Blush:

One evening I put a search in for the lightest cars and came up with some weird results of obscure cars built in the 30's, 40's, 50's 60's,70's and 80's.
Modern cars with all the bits they have now exceed the limit.

The old version of the Fiat 500 comes in at only 500k, but the one that caught my eye was the old classic Citroen 2cv.:Smile::Smile:

Over the last few years they have had a resurgence and there are lots of them around some crap but a lot of good renovated one's.
They also come in at 500k and I know a place that builds a special trailer just for the 2cv, total weight of car and trailer is 720k, which is within my limits.
So I have now bought a 2cv and will be picking it up this week once i have been and picked up the trailer.::bigsmile:

So there will soon be a big German pulling a little French maid along, shades of 'ello 'ello.:Eeek::Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had one a few years ago .. great fun , wish I still had her :thumb:

Dolly >>>
Link Removed

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I had one some years ago , all green, called it Kermit, great fun :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Now.. if I just had a spare 6k laying about ... I would be sorely tempted.. but I don't :Sad:

1987 CITROEN 2 CV6 SPECIAL PORSCHE BLACK
Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
great cars if you like going round corners on 2 wheels

Had a few over the years.. 2CV and the dolly .. OK if you like going round corners on two wheels or they sag if you are a bit heavy (Like me) on one side... great cars .. real peasant wagons... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have fun

Bob

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

u do whatr best 4 u .i tow mine on an a frame its a kia picanto i also carry wife mobility scooter etc in it / it suits us as there is no weight on tow bar:Blush::thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. well i think lots of us have had them .we had two here my ex wife had one and heres my sons getting a new galvanize chassis . it had a full respray at the time as well. great little cars .i often fancy a mehari . missed an ex french army one afew years ago .often think i should have had it .

Attachments

• img077.jpg
    img077.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 9
  • img078.jpg
    img078.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you must have weight on the tow ball

u do whatr best 4 u .i tow mine on an a frame its a kia picanto i also carry wife mobility scooter etc in it / it suits us as there is no weight on tow bar:Blush::thumb:

You still have weight on the tow ball with a toad.. you are drawing in effect a trailer regardless of the legalities, it has a weight. For example my Reece tow equipment tells me that I can draw up to 5,000 lbs on the class of tow bar... if I use an extension bar then it drops to 3,500 lbs... so it still is part of the mass of the vehicle.

The idea of the 2CV on a trailer is good, in that the designed equipment i.e trailer is carrying the weight of the car and there is no wear on the actual car from being towed.

But regardless if you use a toad or trailer there is a weight factor to consider.

Bob

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Do be aware (AFAIK) that as far as GTW is concerned it is the plated max weight of the trailer that counts not the actual weight.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Now.. if I just had a spare 6k laying about ... I would be sorely tempted.. but I don't :Sad:

1987 CITROEN 2 CV6 SPECIAL PORSCHE BLACK
Link Removed

Jim
Saw that one and was sorely tempted but couldn't justify that amount at the mo, paid half of that for the one i've got.:Smile:

Bob
I'm with you on the trailer, keeps the milage and wear and tear down on the car.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

you need the gross weight for towing, not the kerb weight.

the early fiat 500 had a kerb (unladen) weight of 499kg but would probably still be under your 800kg limit

the 2CV had a kerb weight of 560kg....again i cant find reference to the gross weight....yet !

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the other option of course is to go through the paper exercise in most cases of up plating your train weight

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
basically the same chassis is used amongst a range of vehicles, each with a weight limit determined at time of manufacture. this means that although your vehicle is plated for a lower weight, in most cases it is capable of carrying or towing more. many people have gone through the process of getting new plates for a heavier weight listed.

it generally means that the vehicle will change on paper from being private light goods PLG to private heavy goods PHGV. if you got your licence before the change, i think 1991, then you can drive above 3.5tonne without another test. it also gives you cheaper road fund licence TAX of ÂŁ160

Most people employ engineer firms like SVO to do this paperwork for them. in a few cases you need to upgrade some suspension, but generally nothing actually changes leaving it a paper only exercise to keep yourself legal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back