Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Now that we are getting about a bit, we are sometimes visiting stately homes and the like. The cost of visiting some of these places, is...shall we say, a little on the steep side, I take into account the cost of upkeep etc, but even the cake in the tea rooms is dear enough to have us heading back to the MH for lunch.
Which is the best to join to get a discount, National Trust, English Heritage ??
Or is there another scheme available.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Membership of the National Trust isn't cheap, but we reckon it offers good value if you enjoy visiting their properties. Don't need to go to too many to cover the member subscription.

Many of the car parks are in really attractive locations and make ideal picnic spots with the MH. And most of the parking is MH friendly. When possible, we often park away from all the cars, perhaps in an overflow area, where we frequently have complete peace and quiet.

Also, membership brings free parking at lots of other National Trust owned CPs - eg Studland beach in Dorset - think it's probably about £9 a day in peak season, but free if you're a member. :thumb:

Finally, there are offers around to get 25% discount for initial membership, if you're prepared to pay by direct debit.

We've considered English Heritage, but tend to enjoy visiting NT properties rather more. Oh, and I agree the restaurants aren't cheap - but, as you said, easy to use the MH as an alternative.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Now that we are getting about a bit, we are sometimes visiting stately homes and the like. The cost of visiting some of these places, is...shall we say, a little on the steep side, I take into account the cost of upkeep etc, but even the cake in the tea rooms is dear enough to have us heading back to the MH for lunch.
Which is the best to join to get a discount, National Trust, English Heritage ??
Or is there another scheme available.

We are the same we have been in a few and found that the National Trust great value for money you will usually get 15 months for the price of 12 to start with and you will have got your money back after only 4 or 5 visits,we have one year with National Trust then one year with English Heritage but this year we have become Friends of the Historic Houses Association,they are all about the same price per year and rather than leaving the motorhome on the drive at weekends seem to get out and about a bit more they have interesting buildings and gardens such as Castle Howard and the likes. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We joined the NT the first year we had our M/H, the guy at Berrington Court was an excellent salesman! Plus he gave us a 'last year's' guide there and then, which then enabled us to visit other places we didn't know about whilst on the same holiday since 'this year's' guide would not arrive till we got home again. We'd recouped 25% of the first payment (15 months for 12 as mentioned) before we left there.

Plus things like you go there in Spring and discover the gardens are famous for Autumn colour, well you might begrudge the dosh to revisit the place - but this way it's already paid for. Or you know they have various events at various places and you wouldn't have a clue they were happening. They do keep you very well informed about what's going on, when and where.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We joined the NT last year with a cashback from Quidco plus 12 months for 9.

On our north east trip last autumn, apart from Beamish, we stayed on a farm CL which was part of the Gibside NT estate. Nice walk through the cowfield and into the woodland part before finding the commercial bit. Interesting bits of history about the Bowes-Lyon family (The Queen Mother God Bless Her).

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Thanks, i,ll be looking to find a good deal on membership then, I think maybe my bank gets me a discount.....well i,m sure something does:reel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
be carefull how you sign up for the national trust

we joinedat ixworth house near bury st edmunds

told they would take the money eventually

2 months later it went we had overlooked it :Doh: