No FUN in finding a motorhome (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi Funsters

Really wishing we were at stratford with you.

Well we have looked at loads and very few are what they say they are in the adverts.

That goes for dealers too

We know what we want - no longer than 25ft, must be LEZ compliant have a rear lounge or bed, middle lounge and a large fridge/freezer (not the under the counter type)

You would think the LEZ would be the sticking point but no - its the fridge freezer that drastically reduces our choice but I am fed up going shopping every few days.

So far every single one we have looked at is dodgy or has outstanding finance.

Just as an example, if you are looking at this one on ebay both the DVLA and HPI have it as petrol but the dealer states categorically its a diesel. The DVLA told me to speak to Fords who wont release any information as I am not the owner, even though this sort of information is not data protected as its not personal information. For all I know it could be a ringer - there are ringers out there.

Its actually listed twice on ebay, once as a buy it now and once as an auction:-

Link Removed

Link Removed

I am fed up travelling miles and miles just to be disappointed.

Have any of you bought a motorhome with finance on it before - we are thinking of paying the money to a solicitor and getting the solicitor to pay the seller and the finance on receipt of motorhome keys - we cant see any other way of protecting our money. Finance companies say if you pay them and the seller doesnt give you the motorhome then they wont refund. If I pay the seller and they dont pay the finance off, the company can repossess it from us.

So fed up !!!

Last edited:

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
You have my sympathy. All I can say is be patient - the right one will come along eventually, and the worst thing you could do is compromise on your requirements or buy something dodgy and lose loads of money as a result.

Might it be possible to satisfy your fridge/freezer requirements by replacing an existing unit with a larger capacity one? expensive, I know, (and maybe impracticable) but if otherwise it was the right 'van?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Gail chivenor is only 5 miles from me if you want it checked out. Royal Marines are based there so a lot of cheap motorhomes come up when they are posted away. that company usually sell cars and vans, been there many years. Have you questioned them about the engine change as they claim to have full history.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
You have my sympathy. All I can say is be patient - the right one will come along eventually, and the worst thing you could do is compromise on your requirements or buy something dodgy and lose loads of money as a result.

Might it be possible to satisfy your fridge/freezer requirements by replacing an existing unit with a larger capacity one? expensive, I know, (and maybe impracticable) but if otherwise it was the right 'van?

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated however we have been told that doing so in most vans isnt practical due to the way the weight is balanced - am happy for anyone to contradict this though.

Hi Gail chivenor is only 5 miles from me if you want it checked out. Royal Marines are based there so a lot of cheap motorhomes come up when they are posted away.

Yes please Roger xxxx

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
It is hard, the transits in the ebay listings are mk6 and diesels, i am selling mine which is a mk7 with i think everything you want and more but a bit more money than the ones in the link but its honest and hpi clear saves the traveling :thumb:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
When I purchased mine it was originally on ebay but I went after it did not sell, I visited the guys home twice to view, he told me he had finance on and how much which a knew from the HPI check anyway, on collection day I paid the finance company by debit card over the telephone and as the seller had a business I paid him the remainder on a debit card, to say I was concerned would be an understatement as it was over 40k !!!

I spent over six months looking for mine so you will find the ideal one eventually just don't make the mistake of settling for something you will want to sell in a years time.

Good Luck
Dave

PS There are a few decent Ford twin wheel Transit " Kentucky " motorhomes on ebay at the moment, rear wheel drive & big fridge freezer

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
It is hard, the transits in the ebay listings are mk6 and diesels, i am selling mine which is a mk7 with i think everything you want and more but a bit more money than the ones in the link but its honest and hpi clear saves the traveling :thumb:

Does it have everything we require M1TCH if so PM Me with more details and a link to pictures

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Gail , if you are buying a van like that we are going To have to change your username, it will have to be something like my camper is so posh :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Gail you need to have some idea of what it is you want

Gail, you need to have some idea of what it is you are looking for and then concentrate looking for examples of it.

As said in other posts ebay is a good starting place to look. It took me 18 months to find my RV.. I looked at some real bad one's.. both private and dealers. But I had a good idea of what I wanted .. i.e RV .. size etc., I wanted an RV that allied the habitation door to open on to the body and not up against the awning arms.. so I did in depth research.

Mine came to me un registered i.e off the ship.... try running an HPI check on that... but it took time and I got it all sorted.

Anyone that buys an RV needs to check with HPI.. they cover insurance to £30k .. but simple checks you can do like checking the service details? is there any... mine over the last 3 1/2 seasons has 2 x A4 ring binders.. big ones full of receipts for items purchased for the RV plus a detailed ... mileage and dates of what was done on the RV.. even the simple things... It is the history that will sell my RV.. try and get as much details as you can.. when you visit one ask questions.. ask them in a different way later on and see if the answers are the same?... I am always suspect of someone selling for a friend... check the V5 is it the correct address.. How long has that person owned it.. etc., etc.,

So far I know you want a (American type Fridge) but then if you want these massive fridges then you need to look at Americans.. then you may have issues with the LEZ as they tend to be older units... mine passes the LEZ.. but not all do. The size you want is limiting for all the goodies.

I would try and narrow what it is (make, age, price) and see what you find over say a 30 day period on ebay.

Bob:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Bob,
We have a large fridge freezer , not massive granted but big enough for 5, and i know of lots of other people with one too , who dont have American RV's.
Just lowly European boxes :RollEyes:........

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
are they near the ground then?

Bob,

Just lowly European boxes :RollEyes:........

Are they nearer to the ground then? I was talking about 5 cubic foot with a freezer about in a separate unit that is 2.5 cubic foot and we have one of the smaller yanks.. some have double full height twin door units...

We can carry food for about 3 weeks .. which we have done in the freezer and frozen dog food for Ezzie for the same time..

I think Gail is looking for a full size unit not one that sits on a plinth or has cupboard below... that was my understanding from a p.m I had from her.

I am sure European boxes have ample size fridges for there size ....

can I ask why you think European boxes as lowly? does not matter if they are european, American as long as they do what you want them to do.. size and value is not the issue.. it is the liveability of the vehicle. That is why so many have several before they find the right layout..

Just people have different ideas of what they need.. take Buttons.. he has a rabbit hutch on wheels.. he is happy :winky:..strange chap Buttons...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But while a 19' motor home or a van conversion will suit some it does not suit all.. hence you have members with RV's that are pushing 40' it comes down to personal needs... I think Gail has a big wish list and she will have to give on something.. like the fridge, unless she has a mega budget.

Bob

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I dont know what the cubic meterage is of it , but its got a fridge at the bottom and a seporate freezer at the top.
Like one we have at home just a bit smaller depth wise .
As for the lowly bit , said in jest before you started comparing gin palaces and euroboxes . As you do ( often) :Smile:
Bev

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
big ones and little one

I dont know what the cubic meterage is of it , but its got a fridge at the bottom and a seporate freezer at the top.
Like one we have at home just a bit smaller depth wise .
As for the lowly bit , said in jest before you started comparing gin palaces and euroboxes . As you do ( often) :Smile:
Bev

Yes Bev it is done with tongue in cheek....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I started off with a Eurobox 25 years ago.. so been there and got the T shirt so to speak.. but these days it has to be a yank ... i.e sitting here on a site in France, chucking it down with rain... very muggy as in warm.. so the air conditioner is set to 70 and kicks in as and when it needs to... those are the toys you get as standard on a yank.. mind you did see a caravan with one the other day... but it could only be used on EHU... where as a yank can have it on with EHU or via the genny built in. Many reasons to have one.. but having had the eurobox I can compare... ::bigsmile:

Bob:Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I get 120 cans of cider 4 litres of ice and 3 bottles of champagne in mine and a bottle of milk, why would I want n e think more for a couple o nights away:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back