Feel like I've just been mugged! (1 Viewer)

lilaclil

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi - I'm new to the forum... wanted to post as I've just had an unnerving experience. We're selling our motorhome due to incompatibility with our baby (just turned one)... the husbands away and while I was putting the little one to bed I had an unexpected knock at the door from a family wanting to view the van. I asked them to call my mobile and leave a message and I'd get back to them in 45 mins or so (the baby was kicking off!). Anyway, instead of leaving a message, they returned and badgered me into showing them the van... I felt out of my depth, 3 adults and me all in the van together, hence the "mugged" comment! Within minutes, they were asking me "what my best price for cash" would be.

I don't know why, but it's left me a bit nervous being alone in the house...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
very understandable you felt 'harassed' and totally out of order.

make sure any alarm is turned on and the doors and windows are properly locked on the van....you can never be too careful as they may have opened one to return later....

sorry if this sounds a bit 'scaremonger-ish' but being prepared is better than finding the van missing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Asking for the best cash price is a common bargaining tool, try not to read to much into it. At least you didn't let them take a test drive, well done:Smile:

As long is your van is insured please don't worry about it. So someone knows your husband is not home, no problem, just make sure the house is locked and secure and i'm sure you'll be fine, if they come back don't answer the door, if they call tell them your husband told you he will deal with it. Best of luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds like Itinerants to me.

Can you park the car in front of the Motorhome?

Report to the police if you are really concerned.

Good luck.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Get a friend, relative or neighbour round, see if there is someone who could spend the night in the van at least you would have peace of mind.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Dont worry too much, remember although we supposedly live in the modern world there are many men that think by badgering women they will get their own way far more easily.

Remember you are your own strong person and you won - not him - he didnt get you to sell it to him for a silly price.

remember YOU WON. Of course it was unnerving as you werent expecting it.

Just put it down to a life experience and dont worry xxxxx

Well done by the way for not backing down - it does take guts

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
How did they know your van was for sale?

Do you have a sign on the van which is right outside your house or on your drive?
If so then they could be genuine, having seen a For Sale sign, so don't be too worried.

Let's hope that was the case.

Anyhow just make sure the van is properly locked up, as well as your house, and keep your mobile close too hand. You cannot be too careful at any time.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
All the previous comments are valid. This is my own experience. Firstly I was at a friends house in my old Hymer and there was a knock on the door,it was an Irish scrappy asking if the van was for sale. My chum bears a striking resemblence to Arthur Askey whereas I am more like Hagrid. My chum called me and this fellow wouldn't take no for an answer. He was persistent to the point of being a pain. he only relented when I went toe to toe with him and firmly told him 'Its not for sale-capice?'

Then some months later, I think his brother was in our road and the same thing happened.
Late that night I went out to the van and noticed the Aluminium step plate on the passenger door,had gone-maybe a coincidence.
On both these occasions there was no indication that the vehicle was for sale.
Ironically when I did sell it it was to a retired member of the Irsh Garda,who told me some home truths about 'the feking travellers'!

OP
OP
L

lilaclil

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks guys... already done the locking, alarm etc. (un)funnily enoughy, i noticed that the bloke had unlocked both the front doors and i did make a point of alarming the van once we got out. got their reg no for what it's worth

love the t-shirt! :Smile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
. got their reg no for what it's worth

Wise move !!!! Make sure you have all your keys etc that you went out to the van with as well... I had my van outside with a for sale sticker,. Had a few Irish accents ring the bell and asked "best price for cash"... I am always wary that night !!!!

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Go here Link Removed find out who you local PCSO is and give him/her a call.

Explain your concerns and I'm sure they'll keep an eye on the area.

Last edited:

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Well done you for getting their registration number. All previous advice really good. Hopefully all your actions will put them off if they had other intentions.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
As you have their registration number give it in to the local police, if there is something iffy you will soon know. If you are "in" with your local bobby he or she will always go the extra mile too. We have a fab safer neighbourhood team here

If you phone it in and its nothing, they dont worry.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Another nasty thing they can do is to swap keys and come back later

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
All noted but may I add

I note all the posts and agree.. sound advice.

I will not let anyone drive a vehicle I have for sale ... I want to see an insurance certificate with my registration number shown if they do get to drive it.

As for payment it is either cash which I put in a machine to check the metal stripe.

Only other payment I take is a CHAPS and only do a deal within banking hours and never take a bank draft or check over the weekend... I control the sale not the person buying from me.

I put these facts in the advert so no one can misunderstand it.... I do not hand any key over to anyone and if there is a mob of them then I will only deal with one person at a time.

I will not be ripped off by a low cash bid. I know what I want and that is what it is for sale for.. if I sell for less then a lot of the extra goodies get taken off.. in the case of my RV that is 115 items adding to many, many thousands .. which I can keep for the next RV or sell on ebay etc.,

Stand your ground.. which seems to be what you have done.. as for me my RV is blocked in with a car, plus it has VanBitz strike back alarm on it...

Funny last night on a site in France we heard another motor home night alarming there vehicle as we do with b button B and the three chirps... on the drive it is on full lockdown and alarmed.. even the trailer has an alarm loop .. over kill as far as I am concerned.

Even the laptop has a kingston lock, despite the alarms.

Bob:Blush:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi - I'm new to the forum... wanted to post as I've just had an unnerving experience. We're selling our motorhome due to incompatibility with our baby (just turned one)... the husbands away and while I was putting the little one to bed I had an unexpected knock at the door from a family wanting to view the van. I asked them to call my mobile and leave a message and I'd get back to them in 45 mins or so (the baby was kicking off!). Anyway, instead of leaving a message, they returned and badgered me into showing them the van... I felt out of my depth, 3 adults and me all in the van together, hence the "mugged" comment! Within minutes, they were asking me "what my best price for cash" would be.

I don't know why, but it's left me a bit nervous being alone in the house...

My advice to you is leave them well alone.you dont need people like that hounding you ,im sure your motorhome will sell.
regards brian jo and josh

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Dont worry too much, remember although we supposedly live in the modern world there are many men that think by badgering women they will get their own way far more easily.

Remember you are your own strong person and you won - not him - he didnt get you to sell it to him for a silly price.

remember YOU WON. Of course it was unnerving as you werent expecting it.

Just put it down to a life experience and dont worry xxxxx

Well done by the way for not backing down - it does take guts

Err all of this positive "you won" etc is fine as management babble but it still leaves the lady feeling "mugged" (sic)

Also, again with respect :

Remember you are your own strong person and you won - not him - he didnt get you to sell it to him for a silly price

Him? Man? Men badgering women for their own way?

Did I read a different post? I read "family"

Eddie

OP
OP
L

lilaclil

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
thanks for your replies guys!

thankfully we've had some proper viewers now who are currently making direct bank transfers and are due to pick up next week.... sad to see the van go but not currently viable with a 1 year old baby!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back