LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Recently we've noticed a few MH's with roof vents open while traveling, not the full size winding/tilting large size but the much smaller push up style, approx 12" x 12" and I noticed that they had them open at the back and closed at the front i.e. slanted so that the wind couldn't get under them, like a car sunroof on tilt up mode.

Is this sensible or are you asking for it to ripped off ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we travel with both down and locked

We travel with both of ours down and locked.... when we collected ours after registration sue followed me in the car and the rear roof vent was open .. called me on the radio (cb) said it was about to take off.. so we never move with the vents open.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We travel with both of ours down and locked.... when we collected ours after registration sue followed me in the car and the rear roof vent was open .. called me on the radio (cb) said it was about to take off.. so we never move with the vents open.

Bob

Bob how big are these ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
even with the vents closed its not that uncommon for the covers on older vans to get ripped off. If you intend travelling with a push up vent open at the rear, fitting a spoiler in front will help

standard sizes for push up vents these days are 400x400mm or 500x500mm. you used to be able to get 280x280, but these werent common

another reason to keep them closed when driving is the added howl of wind noise you get from some

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Fit Maxxair vent covers and you can drive with them fully open ...

Surprised you don't have them Bob

available form all good RV supply shops ..

Link Removed

Perfect, think I'll order one

Thanks

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

Thanks

Only way to go mate, i have 3 on mine and all open most of the year especially when traveling, as gives good air flow throughout and keeps heat build up down in the summer months and also good for when it rains as well as no rain can get in either, so able to be open as much as you want. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
They are crank up as John says

Bob how big are these ?

These are 12 x 12 and both have a crank.. One isa fantastic vent that is an extractor pull air through .. In main area, the other is a normal extractor fan with a lift up lid... Both lift of course... But I coul leave them up in transit.. But they are not designed to stay up unlike the big ones tat are used on caches (passenger) type where you can lift one end or the other, or both sothe air flow is going directly through.

Bob

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Thanks

Check fit before ordering
They are designed for RVs primerilly but might fit Euro vents:thumb:
They are the dogs dangly bits,you can open vent fully and forget it come rain snow or blow

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Just not enough room on my roof

Fit Maxxair vent covers and you can drive with them fully open ...

Surprised you don't have them Bob

available form all good RV supply shops ..

Link Removed

Not enough room on my roof... Being only..... Wait for it..... 23'9" long... With the air conditioner box, the wingrad Ariel, the Saterlite tv dome fridge vent, toilet vent and two roof lights it is a bit crowded on the roof.. Have considered it .. But te next owner can play with that if they desire.

I must admit I use the fantastic vent a lot.. Draws air from the nearest window on the shade side and cools there down.. Saves running the air conditioner.

Bob:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not enough room on my roof... Being only..... Wait for it..... 23'9" long... With the air conditioner box, the wingrad Ariel, the Saterlite tv dome fridge vent, toilet vent and two roof lights it is a bit crowded on the roof.. Have considered it .. But te next owner can play with that if they desire.

I must admit I use the fantastic vent a lot.. Draws air from the nearest window on the shade side and cools there down.. Saves running the air conditioner.

Purely for info future Bob they have the same footprint as the vent its self, no extra space reqd:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The flanges look bigger

Purely for info future Bob they have the same footprint as the vent its self, no extra space reqd:thumb:

Te flanges look bigger Geo... They have to go over the existing vent cover... One oh my vents... The one I would lie to have an all weather over... Is very tight to the back of the air con box...

But thanks for advising ....

Regards

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
remember that driving with a vent open can drag smells through from the grey tank . mant folk have made this mistake .

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
remember that driving with a vent open can drag smells through from the grey tank . mant folk have made this mistake .

Hi Alan,
I have virtually eliminated the smells from black tank whilst traveling and standing by fitting a Turbo fan powered by the wind, and it works perfectly, as before no fan i used to get smells from black tank:Eeek: when traveling and when stopping and also when parked up sometimes, but all eliminated now. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Link Removed

Duncan of Starspangled spanner sells them, he is a member on here and RVOC. There are all different styles and some with built in fans as well.

http://starspangledspanner.com/

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Why would you want to travel with roof vents open?
Cab ventilation will ensure a good input of fresh air and most roof lights already have permanent venting built in. Cab air-conditioning, if fitted, will increase an already efficient system. And I'm sure there are enough built-in holes in the average RV/MH to ensure a good through flow.

Even touring down in Southern Spain our moho never became over heated whilst on the road.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
our RV can get very warm while on the move

Our RV can get very warm while on the move.. even with the dash aircon on... I can read the habitation area temperature and it gets warm in the back where Ezzie is.. often run the generator and the roof habitation air con to keep her cool.

Bob:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back