NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE - Does anyone know someone who can connect tv? (1 Viewer)

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
Hi
I am loosing the will to live with this flaming satellite (wind up dish thingy) A forum member kindly gave me a receiver box which has 1000s of channels. I cannot get the tv to connect to the unit never mind get the satellite working! Anyway my friend is a bit of a techno and tried to work it for a day....no joy! Basically I think the plan c is just to get a normal aerial on the room so I can watch freeview through the tv, I really dont need all the extra stuff. I dont have one of those just a fancy pants thing that is total rubbish! As i have been ripped off with every inch of the motorhome so far, my hubby is loosing the will to live with me so if anyone knows a decent honest person who can sort it for me please tell me!:cry:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I live not far from Newcastle. I would be happy to come round and try to help you get sorted.

However I'm away at work (out of the country) for the next 5 weeks or so.
If you still have not got sorted out, and still have the will to live and want to have a go when I get back just drop me a PM.

:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Dawny, sounds like you have little knowledge of TV/sat connections so this may help.

connect the receiver to the TV with a scart lead only....a normal tv coax wont do the job.

the TV should recognise the scart lead and will automatically select that input.

if the TV has two scart connections use the one marked 'AUX IN'...same on the receiver, use the one marked 'TV'......NOT the one marked 'DVD' or 'VIDEO'

the dish connects to the receiver by an 'F' plug and connects to 'SAT IN' on the back of the receiver.

you may need to select the input mode on the TV using the TV's onscreen menu. select 'SCART'

when its all connected you will/should see 'NO SIGNAL...CHECK DISH AND CONNECTIONS' (or similar) on a blue screen on the TV screen.

once the dish is locked onto the satellite (the tricky bit until you get used to doing ) it you will get a picture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
Hi Dawny, sounds like you have little knowledge of TV/sat connections so this may help.

connect the receiver to the TV with a scart lead only....a normal tv coax wont do the job.

the TV should recognise the scart lead and will automatically select that input.

if the TV has two scart connections use the one marked 'AUX IN'...same on the receiver, use the one marked 'TV'......NOT the one marked 'DVD' or 'VIDEO'

the dish connects to the receiver by an 'F' plug and connects to 'SAT IN' on the back of the receiver.

you may need to select the input mode on the TV using the TV's onscreen menu. select 'SCART'

when its all connected you will/should see 'NO SIGNAL...CHECK DISH AND CONNECTIONS' (or similar) on a blue screen on the TV screen.

once the dish is locked onto the satellite (the tricky bit until you get used to doing ) it you will get a picture.

I have followed instruction after instruction it just won't work. I just
Don't understand why they just didn't have a normal aerial.
I had a dome trype thing on my tourer Nd it was great!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have followed instruction after instruction it just won't work. I just
Don't understand why they just didn't have a normal aerial.
I had a dome trype thing on my tourer Nd it was great!
problem with a regular terrestrial aerial is the TV needs to be tuned each and every time you pitch.. every region has different frequencies...and you need to figure out where the local Tv transmitter mast is.
with digital TV you need to point directly at the transmitter mast...a little bit off and you get no signal.

with a sat dish its already tuned, the same frequencies throughout the land, and once the satellite is locked on, you just watch TV

OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
problem with a regular terrestrial aerial is the TV needs to be tuned each and every time you pitch.. every region has different frequencies...and you need to figure out where the local Tv transmitter mast is.
with digital TV you need to point directly at the transmitter mast...a little bit off and you get no signal.

with a sat dish its already tuned, the same frequencies throughout the land, and once the satellite is locked on, you just watch TV

That actually makes sense. I will hold ot for help x

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tried your advice, didnt work! Could the satalite be broken? The light inside the wardrobe is on, is there anything that could go wrong?:Doh:

Err...what light in the wardrobe ?

daft question maybe, but you don't mean the white box..... Status signal amplifier do you ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
Err...what light in the wardrobe ?

daft question maybe, but you don't mean the white box..... Status signal amplifier do you ?

Yes sorry, not great at jargon! I lent the van to my friend over the weekend and she hired an aerial and just plugged it in and the freeview worked. It sounds like a sensible option, just trawling ebay trying to find something I can just plug in and screw on the roof. I am taking 4 kids away this weekend so 4 x 9 year olds at bedtime is going to be greeeeat fun,...not....without some form of distraction!:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes sorry, not great at jargon! I lent the van to my friend over the weekend and she hired an aerial and just plugged it in and the freeview worked. It sounds like a sensible option, just trawling ebay trying to find something I can just plug in and screw on the roof. I am taking 4 kids away this weekend so 4 x 9 year olds at bedtime is going to be greeeeat fun,...not....without some form of distraction!:Doh:
The amplifier in the wardrobe has nothing to do with a satellite system and can't be used with a dish.
if your receiver is connected to it that is why you cant get the sat system to work.

its just to amplify a weak terrestrial signal through an aerial.

depending where you are going and how near to a transmitter you may be OK with a good quality set-top/indoor aerial.

in the past I have used a normal house aerial clamped to the rear ladder or, if no ladder, on a pole.
not very pretty but functional.

OP
OP
D

dawny

Free Member
May 21, 2012
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
im a newbie
thankyou

I live not far from Newcastle. I would be happy to come round and try to help you get sorted.

However I'm away at work (out of the country) for the next 5 weeks or so.
If you still have not got sorted out, and still have the will to live and want to have a go when I get back just drop me a PM.

:thumb:

Hi Callum
When you are around would it be possible to meet up as I am not getting anywhere with this flipping satalite.

thanks
Dawn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back