Is there anywhere like Shell Island? (1 Viewer)

David Parkes

Free Member
Apr 27, 2012
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2005
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone could help me with a question.
Shell island has beautiful views and when your parked up with no electric hook ups anywhere, it feels as close as it can get to wild camping. Does anyone out there know of anywhere similar to shell island with sea views in England, Scotland or Wales.
Thanks
Dave

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the site and wondered if anyone could help me with a question.
Shell island has beautiful views and when your parked up with no electric hook ups anywhere, it feels as close as it can get to wild camping. Does anyone out there know of anywhere similar to shell island with sea views in England, Scotland or Wales.
Thanks
Dave
Do you mean Sheil Island on the west coast of Scotland, just south of Oban?
If you tour the East coast of Scotland you will find views that are just as stunning.
Along the Moray Firth is nice and a very good site is at Findochty.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Suspect Dave, the OP, probably means Shell Island in Snowdonia, between Harlech and Barmouth (not too far from his location in Shropshire). It's a lovely spot.

I'd have to think hard to come up with anywhere comparable, though I'm sure there must be one or two other similar types of place around the coast, especially in Scotland.

Shell Island doesn't do caravans and always used to be tents only, but suspect they probably allow MHs these days. If I remember correctly, you were OK to arrive in a MH or camper, but were supposed to be only using it for transport, and a separate tent was required to be pitched - supposedly for sleeping in. Don't know if that's still the case - somehow doubt it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Agree. Sheildaig is a good spot.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

David Parkes

Free Member
Apr 27, 2012
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2005
Shell island

Thanks for the answers I will try them out next month and let you all know. And I meant she'll island in Wales ,and it does allow motorhomes now and you don't need a tent

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You'd do well to match the all-round view from parts of Shell Island - We stayed recently at Celtic Camping (Google Maps 51.926219,-5.220222) near Abereiddy (Pembs) which commands quite an impressive view of the Irish Sea coast all the way up to Strumble Head.

Likewise, some of the coastal campsites South of St Davids like Caerfi Bay (51.872874,-5.258331) have an interesting vista across St Bride's Bay towards Skomer Island if you can find the right pitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back