Peterf

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
About to make an offer on first MH, a Pilote Galaxy 270 with 2.5 boxer TD. Year 2000 with 35k miles Excellent cond. inside and out, except for faded paintwork at the front which seems universal. Good service history, cambelt changed 09, only 6k miles since. New tyres also 09.
Have seen the van and been for a drive, and seen all the paperwork.
Private seller,selling due to ill health, met him and his wife at their home, genuine people.
Obviously no guarantees, so risk involved.
Is asking price of £18k fair to cover for poss problems, certainly seems less than dealer would charge.
Any particular probs I should be aware of with this model

Thanks,
Peterf:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
About to make an offer on first MH, a Pilote Galaxy 270 with 2.5 boxer TD. Year 2000 with 35k miles Excellent cond. inside and out, except for faded paintwork at the front which seems universal. Good service history, cambelt changed 09, only 6k miles since. New tyres also 09.
Have seen the van and been for a drive, and seen all the paperwork.
Private seller,selling due to ill health, met him and his wife at their home, genuine people.
Obviously no guarantees, so risk involved.
Is asking price of £18k fair to cover for poss problems, certainly seems less than dealer would charge.
Any particular probs I should be aware of with this model

Thanks,
Peterf:Smile:

Peter..Hi and Welcome..... Have a good look at the tyres, check date on the tyres....could have been in stock a year or two before fitted.....they say 5 to 6 years on a motorhome due to the weight being sat on them all the time is normally the time to be thinking of changing them (NOT always true, just a rule of thumb) so look for cracking and any sign of age even though the tread may well be good.....Pilote Galaxy 270,Year 2000 with 35k miles, is a good make, well made, and well thought of, the price seems about right, a dealer over in in France 22,900 euros..(£19,000)with more milage on about 62,000( http://www.camping-car-occasion-conseil.fr/Annonces/27-camping-car-integral-pilote-galaxy-270.html )....most Pilote's decals seem to fade so that is not a problem,
Any extras......meaning if he is selling up does a lot of extras come with it.

Mel

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
2000 is 12 years old so check the wheel arches and bulkhead under windscreen for any sign of rust
also check with a damp meter for any damp in the wheel arch area and were two walls meet
you may not smell or feel damp but once it is in its an expensive job to get rid of it
B&Q do a Damp meter for about £20 best investment for any motorhome owner

if there is damp WALK AWAY do not be miss led in that it looks soo good for its age and is in your price range
the other thing is any De-lamination in floor or wall panels
again very expensive to fix

the area in the kitchen gets most ware for the lamination to fail the other area is in the shower room
again if you find it WALK AWAY your investment is not a good one

as a private sale beware a dealer may be a bit more money BUT you only get what you pay for and dealers give some kind of warranty
good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Peter..Hi and Welcome..... Have a good look at the tyres, check date on the tyres....could have been in stock a year or two before fitted.....they say 5 to 6 years on a motorhome due to the weight being sat on them all the time is normally the time to be thinking of changing them (NOT always true, just a rule of thumb) so look for cracking and any sign of age even though the tread may well be good.....Pilote Galaxy 270,Year 2000 with 35k miles, is a good make, well made, and well thought of, the price seems about right, a dealer over in in France 22,900 euros..(£19,000)with more milage on about 62,000( http://www.camping-car-occasion-conseil.fr/Annonces/27-camping-car-integral-pilote-galaxy-270.html )....most Pilote's decals seem to fade so that is not a problem,
Any extras......meaning if he is selling up does a lot of extras come with it.

Mel

Here is some photos to look at

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peterf

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Thanks for useful advice.
Will check tyres thoroughly and test with damp meter before I commit.
I would hope that a £3000 differential betw. private and dealer would offer reasonable insurance. Afterall warranties from many dealers are of limited value.

Peter:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Compare prices to what you are getting from these,Plus these may have some guarantee and extras

This is a 2001

Link Removed

and this one

Link Removed

this is a 2002

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I would hope that a £3000 differential betw. private and dealer would offer reasonable insurance. Afterall warranties from many dealers are of limited value.

I agree Peter £3000 is a good margin....but not if it is damp...I would always say follow your nose, meaning if it smells fusty, damp or discoloration on any of the wood:Eeek:,
Look and smell in all cupboards and wardrobes also in wardrobes there may be a false floor and under the sink, boot lockers... but what motorhomelover suggested is a good for tip £20,

If they have cleaned it with wax polishes before you have viewed it could mask any smell of any damp......Also I think on 2000 model it has the Alko galv chassis which is good.....is it left or right hand drive...in the UK left hand drive do fetch just a little less money.... don't why, as they are no different to drive in the uk or in Europe ???

The Motorhome sounds Good....and a good price,

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

when i purchased my RV in july 2009 i made shure i got £10K below dealer price for similar motor at the age your looking at the fridge and heating system is prone to need repair or replacement
none of which are cheap
then there are the extras you will want

solar panel
extra leisure batteries
alarm
Tracking system
LED lighting (a need for wild camping save the battery)
TV
Inverter
air ride system or similar
sat nav
sat TV

scary when you tot it all up LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries