Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Hi All,

I am planning on going up to the Highland Gathering at Brin Herb Nursery next weekend:Smile:.

I am taking up my Hymer and will put the Safari room so that i can sleep the 8 people i am taking but in my Hymer which is a 1996 model i have seatbelts for 6 people (2 in the front and 4 in the middle) but can i have another 2 in the rear lounge when i am driving even if there is no seatbelts present?

Thanks

Meexi

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
have you considered the insurance issues

Hi All,

I am planning on going up to the Highland Gathering at Brin Herb Nursery next weekend:Smile:.

I am taking up my Hymer and will put the Safari room so that i can sleep the 8 people i am taking but in my Hymer which is a 1996 model i have seatbelts for 6 people (2 in the front and 4 in the middle) but can i have another 2 in the rear lounge when i am driving even if there is no seatbelts present?

Thanks

Meexi

Have you considered your insurance situation if you take more than the number of seat belts.

I take it you are not a Mexican taxi:winky::winky::winky:

Bob:Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. if there are seats i would say yes . others might say that the unbelted passengers are an unsafe load . but i am un aware of anyone being done for it. certainly till 2007 nobody even thought about it you just did it.
we can make it as simple or as complicated as we want. if folk are sat properly i see no fuss .mind tip it upside down or hit another vehicle at a good speed . best not go there.
i havent got belts in the front of mine .dont need them by law so havent got them. cant go wrong then can they.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say i doubt the insurers care .before 2007 there was no need to have belts in the back. they never made folk fit them and they havent to my knowledge told anyone they must fit them. insurers know that before 2007 they werent needed so they do understand that they wont have them.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Jim made a thread about this very subject earlier on today, see here
Broken Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Check your V5 .. (See: Seating capacity) ...

personally I wouldn't exceed what it states, if stopped you could be fined.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes .not knocking it but it doesnt actually make life any clearer.
too much what ifs . pre 07 seat belts werent needed and they dont have to be retro fitted . unless someone can tell us different.

OP
OP
meexi

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Hi All,

The V5 does not have a seating capacity,

I never thought about the weight issue i will just have to leave the wife`s wine at home :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The insurance would be a major issue.... think about cars.... those that seat 5 are cheaper to insure than 7 seaters

what you are suggesting is using the camper as a minibus

as others have mentioned, you are also likely to be over the plated weight...8 average people of say 75kg is 600kg. add any clothes and camping gear and it rapidly shoots up.... can you afford the fine if you get stopped?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
yes .not knocking it but it doesnt actually make life any clearer.
too much what ifs . pre 07 seat belts werent needed and they dont have to be retro fitted . unless someone can tell us different.

No 'what if's' at all really. The law is clear, you can travel in rear seats that do not have belts fitted.

Less clear... Since 2007 it makes it easier for insurance companies and the Police to question whether you are negligent because it's much clearer what seats the manufacturers deemed to be travel seats.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but the insurers know how many seats every m,home as . they build this into their costings when they insure you. they know the laws and rules that apply .so long as you havent altered it from standard then they know how many seats it as.
a motor caravan is category m1 in the internationalvehicle classifications .,. vehicles used for the carriage of passengers,comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver,s seat.
so eight plus the drivers isnt out of order.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
But if you told the insurance company that 2 of the 8 were two point lap belts side facing and the other two had no belts at all, they might adjust their premium. If 8 people were injured and this was discovered later I doubt they would meet any claim.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So much easier to determine if i can carry passengers in our RV.

apart from the driver and front passenger seats there is a plaque attached to the wall above all other seats stating.

'THIS SEAT NOT TO BE USED FOR TRAVELLING'

even though lap belts are fitted to the couch.

so, even though i can seat 5 and sleep 4, I can only carry one passenger :Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but pre 07 none needed only in the front . .we can invent scenariose but none needed .dont have them .
if they are fitted in the rear remove them .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back