Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We use a vet in Amiens and they have always charged us €28 for Ezzie our St Bernard.

Just down the road from the site we are on in Neufchatel-En-Bray is a new vets.. while we are already booked in to our vets next week another camper we talked to had been down to this vet to get her dog done... €33 for a tiny mut As we have to pass this new fancy building.. Sue popped in the other day to ask the rates... for Ezzie €60 .. we will be sticking to the vet that does not charge by the size.

Some of these vets think they can rip us off.

Bob:Blush::Blush:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
but Jim... I am honest

Nooooooooooooo... never Bob, wash your mouth out ..

you'll be saying next that lawyers are honest ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But Jim I am an honest lawyer:winky::winky:... as you know I deny it, demand proof and if that fails I could lie:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

These vets are worse than a british dentist....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi slobadoberbob,
Any chance of getting the name of YOUR vet in Amiens please? we were ripped off in Troyes last year for our Boxer and got charged 50 euros.
Thanks
Weejohnw

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Vets only charge by size (weight) as the dose for larger dogs is higher than a small dog.
You wouldn't expect a chihuahua to get the same amount of medicine as your St Bernard.

Saying that, your vets fees in Amiens does look exceedingly reasonable :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As with all other threads alleging "rip off" this is just a story about the free market in operation - and just as in all those other cases we all have the option of buying or not.

If the vet charging the higher price has his business model wrong he will soon find out through lack of customers.

It can sometimes pay to use caution in dealing with a small business as well. Most are probably as honest as the day is long but they may be cheap because ongoing support is poor or non-existent and may leave people in the lurch if things go wrong.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
But it isn't quite the same as choosing a vet to look after your pooch from cradle to grave, is it?

I mean for all we know the high charge vet might have all the latest equipment, MRI scanners or whatever, so if doggy came down with a mystery illness, you'd be really glad you'd chosen him and wouldn't mind paying that bit more.

And if higher charges for furrin visitors just wanting that treatment helps him recoup and/or keep prices down for locals .... I'm not saying this is the case - but 'If they can afford to come here in the first place, ergo they must have enough disposable income for me to charge ....'

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The details of the vet are

Hi slobadoberbob,
Any chance of getting the name of YOUR vet in Amiens please? we were ripped off in Troyes last year for our Boxer and got charged 50 euros.
Thanks
Weejohnw

The vet we use in Amiens is:

Doctor Philippe Bove
Cabinet Bove
328 Rue Du Faubourg de Hem
8000 Amiens

Tel: 0333 2266 2899
fax 0333 2266 2890

email cabinet.bove@orange.fr

Satellite
N 49 54' 15. 93"
E 2 16' 24. 67"

There is a ACSI camp site 4kms from the vets.. car parking for cars.. campers in road or 100 yards down in the lidle car park.

We know of many people that have now visited this vet and only paid €28 even with two dogs it is a lot cheaper than some of them.

The reception staff do not speak very good English, but the vets Bove or Didler both speak good English and know the ropes for the passport.

Bob

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi slobadoberbob
Thanks for the info.
Regarding other comments on Rip off-
50 euros isn't exactly an example of a "free" market!!!! Apart from that the vet in question charged more than stated in our phone call to make the booking and as we were far from home with no internet access it was not viable to try to locate another vet since we had the tunnel to get to.

the term rip off is used to illustrate prices charged for something that is higher than what is genrally acceptable. I feel perfectly justified in using it having been charged 50 euroes for to let someone stick a temperature guage up my dogs butt, put a scope on its chest, give me two tablets to give it and tell his receptionist to stamp and sign the passport. So there.
Regards

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi slobadoberbob
Thanks for the info.
Regarding other comments on Rip off-
50 euros isn't exactly an example of a "free" market!!!! Apart from that the vet in question charged more than stated in our phone call to make the booking and as we were far from home with no internet access it was not viable to try to locate another vet since we had the tunnel to get to.

the term rip off is used to illustrate prices charged for something that is higher than what is genrally acceptable. I feel perfectly justified in using it having been charged 50 euroes for to let someone stick a temperature guage up my dogs butt, put a scope on its chest, give me two tablets to give it and tell his receptionist to stamp and sign the passport. So there.
Regards
I would certainly question - if not object to - a vet (or anybody) charging more than stated in a phone call but that is a different matter.

A free market means that people are free to charge what they like. We don't expect Harrods (or even M&S) to charge as low a price as a market stall so why should we expect Vet A to charge as low a price as Vet B? As Jenny pointed, different companies have different facilities/equipment and those which have the more costly ones will normally charge more to recoup their costs. Whilst they might sympathise with someone who has competing priorities, such as getting to the tunnel, why should they reduce their prices for something which is not of their doing and over which they have no control?

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Just paid 35.50 euros in Givet for a collie. Vet, 'What date would you like on the passport sir' :Eeek:. Money straight into his wallet, no receipt.
Isn't that how they do business in Greece :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
also in France my son

Just paid 35.50 euros in Givet for a collie. Vet, 'What date would you like on the passport sir' :Eeek:. Money straight into his wallet, no receipt.
Isn't that how they do business in Greece :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We have been asked that about the date before as well.. I think the vets see the exercise as a waste of time... but they do love the money

Bob:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back